How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

9 minutes ago, womble said:

I was reading it yesterday, and "whatever you call what's happening in Ukraine" it definitely fits the description of the various armed conflicts that the Convention says it covers.

Battlefront needs to allow us more upvotes.  Consider this an upvote.

3 hours ago, laurent 22 said:

Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War here:

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/TreatmentOfPrisonersOfWar.aspx

but who cares ?

Article 13

"Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, (...) against (...) public curiosity."

explanation by lawyers :

"Due to recent technological advances, the commentaries to the Third Geneva Convention specify that protection against public curiosity is defined by the prohibition of the disclosure of photographic and video images, recordings of interrogations or conversations as well as any other private data, regardless of the public communication channel used, including the Internet (at p. 1624). The disclosure of these images is often defended as allowing proof that these prisoners are alive and providing a guarantee against their extrajudicial execution, their enforced disappearance or, as specified by Ukrainian diplomats, as making it possible to be able to identify them. However, the Third Geneva Convention provides for specific mechanisms such as capture cards (Article 70) and visits by the International Committee of the Red Cross (Articles 125 and 126). The parties to the conflict should therefore refrain from disseminating any material exposing them to public knowledge."

The lawyers can lawyer until they drop dead, but as practical matter the Ukrainian treatment of prisoners has been beyond saintly. This is of course he strategically correct thing to do, it reduces and degrades the Russians at the minimum possible cost. The videos are perhaps the one thing that might actually break thru in the current Russian media environment. I just REALLY want the Russians to go home while it is still working this way, because it won't if they keep blowing up kindergartens, and trying to murder people in evacuation corridors.

Edited by dan/california
Missed some words

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

Russian BMDs, 7 vehicles, abandoned yesterday near Mykolaiv. This was an artillery strike - even close hits forces Russians to disembark and fled. Not all could do it, but I will not post other video with Russian airbornes bodies 

Since they did not quickly drive away after the artillery started I suspect that most were outside the vehicles.  Maybe receiving an OpOrder / eating / sleeping / defecating / vehicles out of gas etc.  If there was spotting rounds fired (I would guess there was) they ignored them?  Or maybe they were so fatigued they didn't realize that those explosions were spotting rounds?  Then the fire for effect caught them outside the vehicles with the vehicle hatches open.  With many of the vehicle drivers and NCOs as casualties the survivors fled on foot as Ukrainian ground troops advanced (probably the same Ukrainians that called in the arty).   

So they probably stayed in the same position to long and did not have good situational awareness.  The Observer / Controllers at the NTC would be very harsh on them during the AAR. 😎         

17 minutes ago, dan/california said:
Russian infantry just doesn't do their jobs. And these guys seem very competent.

Here is the second video of this episode. This is near Brovary, east from the Kyiv. And these guys are from KORD (like a S.W.A.T.) police detachment of Kyiv oblast.

Edited by Haiduk

It's close to US base in Alexandroupoli. In range to UKR I suppose. That makes me think that Greece is not far away from the war zone. I fear if Putin prevails, and West appears weak , Erdogan which is of similar mentality, might try his chances with revisionism in aegean Islands. That in case of a wider escalation and Turkey deciding to ignore NATO, like it's doing the last years with S 400 etc... But that is off topic at the moment and hope it stays like that. Still this war has completely changed my mindset on what's possible or not anymore. :(

1 hour ago, sburke said:

I get a lot of spam texts and calls on my phone, but heh I think this is several orders of magnitude greater,

Putin’s Henchmen Rage About Getting Trolled With ‘Endless Photos’ of Dead Russian Troops (msn.com)

Ah, diddums? Nasty wardiallers keeping you awake at night? Would you prefer to be kept awake by continuous artillery bombardment, cold and hunger?

45 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

It's close to US base in Alexandroupoli. In range to UKR I suppose. That makes me think that Greece is not far away from the war zone. I fear if Putin prevails, and West appears weak , Erdogan which is of similar mentality, might try his chances with revisionism in aegean Islands. That in case of a wider escalation and Turkey deciding to ignore NATO, like it's doing the last years with S 400 etc... But that is off topic at the moment and hope it stays like that. Still this war has completely changed my mindset on what's possible or not anymore. :(

I am not too worried about Turkey or Greece trying to do something stupid.  They just saw what happened to Russia's economy.  I don't think the world is in the mood for someone trying to pull a mini-Putin during this crisis.

Steve

1 minute ago, Battlefront.com said:

I am not too worried about Turkey or Greece trying to do something stupid.  They just saw what happened to Russia's economy.  I don't think the world is in the mood for someone trying to pull a mini-Putin during this crisis.

Steve

I see this carrier play as a warning to the Russians more than any other. In an afternoon the CV could shut down the straights if Russian warships decided to violate international law and run through them. 

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

OK Combat Mission players!  Show of hands... how many of you think it's a good idea to drive a couple of tanks around deep into enemy territory without any supporting infantry?  (looks around)  Nobody, right?  And yet...

Steve

The NEW Russian defense minister is going to ask to be your largest customer, ever. Be strong, and say no....

The Ukrainians are obviously huge CM players. 

Edited by dan/california

3 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Let´s hope it is genuine:

We've taken a look at it internally and feel that these men were allowed to speak freely.

The most important point, direct relevant to the war, is that they didn't know they were going into Ukraine until the last minute.  This is something Russia has a history of doing.  Giving smart people (and this LTC of the police is definitely smart) a chance to think allows them a chance to question their orders.  When the orders are illegal, that's something a despotic regime doesn't want happening.

As an aside, The Wagner Group is illegal under Russian law.  Equipping the DLRP forces is also illegal.  But one of the key benefits of being a murderous dictator is people don't tend to call you out on violating the law.

Steve