How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Military intelligence: Cyberattack on Russian scientific research center deals 'devastating' damage (msn.com)

"Volunteer patriot" hackers of the BO Team launched a cyberattack against the Russian Far Eastern Research Center of Space Hydrometeorology "Planeta," destroying its database and expensive equipment, Ukraine's military intelligence agency (HUR) said on Jan. 24.

Cyberattacks are a common tool used by both sides of the Russia-Ukraine war. In one of the most devastating strikes, Russian hackers targeted Ukraine's telecommunications provider, Kyivstar, causing communication outages nationwide last December.

Media reports on the cyberattack against the Russian space hydrometeorology center emerged already on Jan. 23.

Ukraine's military intelligence agency now confirmed the reports, saying that the hackers allegedly destroyed 280 servers and two petabytes of data.
Some of the lost meteorological and satellite data was actively used by the Russian defense and emergency situations ministries, the Roscosmos space agency, and other governmental departments, according to the military intelligence agency. The center reportedly provides data to over 50 state entities.

The center also lost a digital array worth at least $10 million, the agency said. The attack further destroyed the software of the center's supercomputers, each worth $350,000, effectively disabling them beyond repair.

Next to the lost data and equipment, the hackers also allegedly disabled the station's air conditioning and humidification systems, as well as the regulation of emergency power supply.

The attack is also said to have cut off a Russian Arctic station on the Bolshevik Island, carrying out "important tasks in the military sphere."

"In summary, dozens of strategic companies of the Russian Federation, working in 'defense' and playing a key role in supporting Russian occupation forces, will remain without critically important information and services for a long time," the military intelligence agency said.

The research center lies in the Russian far-eastern city of Khabarovsk, positioned some 30 kilometers from the China-Russia border. Operated by the state-owned Roshydromet hydrometeorology agency, the far-eastern station is the largest of the research center's three branches.

The center's main activities include "receiving and processing data from Russian and foreign satellites," according to its website.

1 hour ago, dan/california said:
1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Watching a video about how FPV drones are now mass-produced in their tens of thousands using 3D printing, how long before we see a head of state assassinated this way?

That thought has occurred to me as well.

How many heads of state have been killed by any drone so far? I think the number is zero, right?

If you mean more people will have access to these weapons, maybe that makes it more likely but will non state actors really get more access than they already have?

I'm not sure it changes much to be honest. Clearly this possibility has to be something security teams are paying attention too but I'm not sure the chances go up a lot really. Clearly state actors are refraining from doing such a thing and the non state actors that might don't really have access to many resources with a long range so their choices of targets are limited by geography.

4 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

How many heads of state have been killed by any drone so far? I think the number is zero, right?

If you mean more people will have access to these weapons, maybe that makes it more likely but will non state actors really get more access than they already have?

I'm not sure it changes much to be honest. Clearly this possibility has to be something security teams are paying attention too but I'm not sure the chances go up a lot really. Clearly state actors are refraining from doing such a thing and the non state actors that might don't really have access to many resources with a long range so their choices of targets are limited by geography.

SO far. There's been two strikes on Iranian military events, one had the, Defense minister there, I think? 

Picture a repeat Jan 6 with FPV Drones and dropping tear gas on police lines. It's going to happen somewhere, inevitably. 

3 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

Hence why drone flying in Washington DC is quite illegal within a 15 mile radius of the center.

10 minutes ago, Tux said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68083739

Seems that Ukraine simply didn’t realise there were prisoners on this aircraft. Occam’s razor says a breakdown in communication between sides, imo.

Mhmm, honestly I am still skeptical.

That's not cope, the article simply reads as "That's what they said in response to this claim". It's not actually an acknowledgement by Kyiv. 

I still think the supposed flight path of the plane speaks against a PoW transport.

But like many things, we might not know until a lot of time has passed.

24 minutes ago, Tux said:

Seems that Ukraine simply didn’t realise there were prisoners on this aircraft.

The article sounds like POWs really were onboard, but indeed our militaries meant Russians shouldn'd geopardize their lives moving them in planes in zone of potential risk. 

Evening statement of Zelenskiy about international investigation need of this crash was absolutely superflous, giving a food for conspiracy and further hype from some our media and Proroshenko-followers, which today rised hysteria in social network on increadable level, when even Russian propagandists calmed down with POWs death version. 

More bad - Russian milbloggers with satisfaction pointed out "at last we won in this information operation - western media cought our agenda". The same, as western media rised hysteria about hundreds and thousands killed in Gaza hospital, which turned out a fake, but in the time, when many people read headlines only this is enough. 

Edited by Haiduk

18 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

. The same, as western media rised hysteria about hundreds and thousands killed in Gaza hospital, which turned out a fake, but in the time, when many people read headlines only this is enough. 

26,000 dead and counting, dozens of hospitals and safe zones bombed, but go off about one fake. 

21 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

The article sounds like POWs really were onboard, but indeed our militaries meant Russians shouldn'd geopardize their lives moving them in planes in zone of potential risk. 

Evening statement of Zelenskiy about international investigation need of this crash was absolutely superflous, giving a food for conspiracy and further hype from some our media and Proroshenko-followers, which today rised hysteria in social network on increadable level, when even Russian propagandists calmed down with POWs death version. 

More bad - Russian milbloggers with satisfaction pointed out "at last we won in this information operation - western media cought our agenda". The same, as western media rised hysteria about hundreds and thousands killed in Gaza hospital, which turned out a fake, but in the time, when many people read headlines only this is enough. 

It is at least possible that two transport planes were coming into Belgorod at the same time, and Ukraine hit the wrong one. But it is absolutely certain that if the Russians are talking they are lying. I would need to see some epically strong proof that POWs were on the plane. Heck, I don't put it past the Russians to kill a bunch of people and claim they were on the plane. And there are the first shots of the wreckage with only two bodies...

Edited by dan/california

1 hour ago, billbindc said:

Hence why drone flying in Washington DC is quite illegal within a 15 mile radius of the center.

Welll, unless they’ve also put in place a comprehensive method of eliminating said drones if they violate the “drone no fly zone,” it isn’t worth the paper it’s written on, because, criminals being criminals, couldn’t care less if it’s illegal! It only affects law abiding individuals.

Russian oil refinery was hit in Tuapse, Krasnodar region by UKR UAV. In the scale of this giaint plant this fire is not so deadly, like on Ust'-Luga LNG terminal, halted at least for a week, but I hope this is a start

The scale of refinery. Hundreds of drones are needed here...

image.thumb.png.bacf15b3f15add182b8d8b3c86cb73f5.png

image.png.cef8c2c4f7370f1e32fc2949d9762506.png

Edited by Haiduk

15 minutes ago, Jiggathebauce said:

26,000 dead and counting, dozens of hospitals and safe zones bombed, but go off about one fake. 

I bet most of these 26000 celebrated on streets and chanted "Allah Akbar! Death for Jews!" when HAMAS moved in pick-ups tortured Israeli hostages? Who sows the wind will reap a wirlwind.  

Edited by Haiduk

4 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

How much of these 26000 celebrated on streets and chaunted "Allah Akbar! Death for Jews!" when HAMAS moved in pick-ups tortured Israeli hostages. Who sows the wind will reap a wirlwind.  

Let's keep the Israeli-Hamas war out of this thread.  Nothing good will come from it.

Steve

2 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Let's keep the Israeli-Hamas war out of this thread.  Nothing good will come from it.

Steve

Two locked threads related to that topic attest to that.

This thread needs to stay open, as it is the damn source for following this war on the internet.

5 hours ago, dan/california said:

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how far clear of the war zone all/most most airlines are steering? Ukraine may have been avoiding shooting at anything resembling a transport plane out of an abundance of caution. And then they got solid intel on a target to good to pass on...

Flightradar shows it pretty clearly. Its frankly not as far out as I'd have thought.

https://www.flightradar24.com/

Attempt to change direction of thread..

Way back we discussed the striking difference between amounts of Russian soldiers coming from big cities (almost none) and those from rural area's (loads).

And I stumbled on this surprising video from a guy who checked out British Army demographics and recruitment-issues.

Do not be fooled by the title of his video, this is not a crazy rightwing nutcase or woke-hating dumbass.

His research and investigation are quite factual as far as I can see, and the title of his video is based on the fact that the UK government and Army for years and years tried to make the Army as inclusive as possible by making it easier for women, LBTH, minorities etc, ("Woke influence") to join up, but he discovered that it did NOT work out as planned. And partially because of that, the British army has huge problems with getting enough recruits/volunteers.

My understanding is that this problem is also playing up in the Netherlands, and I suspect in more West-European countries. (No idea if it is a problem in the USA). It has a possible profound effect on the near-future strenght of (some) Nato-countries. Which connects this issue directly to the Ukraine-Russo war, because of escalatory possibilities.

If you do think his conclusions are unjust or too far fetched, please let me know.

Edited by Seedorf81

23 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

It only affects law abiding individuals.

This is a common claim from the "git yer gubmint hands offa mah medicare" demographic of deep thinkers.

It is, of course, pants.

Making an activity illegal never eliminates it (see: speeding, murder). It does, nevertheless, still provide three useful outcomes. It ...

1) reduces the frequency of the prohibited thing, because most people understand that rules exist, there are reasons even if they don't like the reasons, and complying with the rules is part of the social contract

2) makes it super easy to identify illegal behaviour, and thus cue counters. In this case, *any* drone over DC is ipso facto a target for countermeasures, with no further questions needed.

3) hands the good guys a legal mallet to go after miscreants with.

All three things affect law avoiding individuals, contrary to the popular claim.

Edited by JonS

14 minutes ago, Seedorf81 said:

his video is based on the fact that the UK government and Army for years and years tried to make the Army as inclusive as possible by making it easier for women, LBTH, minorities etc, ("Woke influence") to join up,

Does he mean all those regiments that were named for minorities - like the Scots, Irish, Welch, Gurkhas, Devon, Hampshiremen, and such like?

Yeah, that woke effort goes back a few years. I understand it never really worked.

In related news;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/24/army-chief-says-people-of-uk-are-prewar-generation-who-must-be-ready-to-fight-russia?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

But, you know. What would *that*guy* know about recruitment.

Edited by JonS

1 minute ago, JonS said:

Does he mean all those regiments that were named for minorities - like the Scots, Irish, Welch, Gurkhas, Devon, Hampshiremen, and such like?

Yeah, that effort Goes back a few years. I understand it never really worked.

I'm looking at the video from the moment I posted my post, to see whether I (after seeing it twice yesterday) it is as I said in my comment. I'm not even halfway, but you already react, while it is seems impossible that you saw the whole video in between the time of my post and your comment.

Did you see the whole video?