How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

3 hours ago, billbindc said:

It’s a NORAD station. 

Thanks Bill. And he is reported serving in the 102nd Intelligence Wing, at Otis AFB on Cape Cod. If this went on within a NORAD station, it feels even worse. Materials from DIA, NRO, CIA, NSA, etc. I’d think the TS/SCI high level required areas would have had extremely high security protocols in place. And yet… 

Prigozhyn has made a statement that Russia should claim victory and to finish "SVO"

Зображення

For authorities and society in whole it's need to put an end to SVO. 

Ideal variant - to claim about the end of operation, to tell everyone, that Russia achieved results, which were planned, and in some sense we really achieved it. We grinded huge number of AFU fighters and can account to ourself that objectives of SVO are completed.

In theory Russia already got this bold end by the way of elimination of most part of active men population of Ukraine and by the way of intimidation other it part, which fled to Europe. Russia cut off Azov Sea and big piece of Black Sea, captured fat part of Ukrainian territory and established ground corridor to Crimea. Now only one remnains: to firmly gain a foothold, cling to claws on that territories, which already we have.  

32 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Prigozhyn has made a statement that Russia should claim victory and to finish "SVO"

Зображення

For authorities and society in whole it's need to put an end to SVO. 

Ideal variant - to claim about the end of operation, to tell everyone, that Russia achieved results, which were planned, and in some sense we really achieved it. We grinded huge number of AFU fighters and can account to ourself that objectives of SVO are completed.

In theory Russia already got this bold end by the way of elimination of most part of active men population of Ukraine and by the way of intimidation other it part, which fled to Europe. Russia cut off Azov Sea and big piece of Black Sea, captured fat part of Ukrainian territory and established ground corridor to Crimea. Now only one remnains: to firmly gain a foothold, cling to claws on that territories, which already we have.  

This is very interesting...unless I read it wrongly and it is another example of famous zekish dark sarcasm, they may be preparing wider audience for defensive phase of the war. Which they should do long time ago, btw.

1337 haxor:

The 21-year-old Air National Guardsman suspected of spilling a trove of classified US documents online frantically searched the word “leak” on his government-issued computer — on the same day the public found out about the intel breach, court records unsealed Friday allege.

Jack Teixeira started trawling through classified intelligence reports looking for the phrase on April 6, the date the New York Times published its first article detailing how secrets of the Ukraine war had been posted on Twitter and Telegram, according to an FBI affidavit.

Teixeira’s search was detected by an unidentified government agency “which can monitor certain searches conducted on its classified networks,” the affidavit says.

25 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

This is very interesting...unless I read it wrongly and it is another example of famous zekish dark sarcasm, they may be preparing wider audience for defensive phase of the war. Which they should do long time ago, btw.

This, coupled with the news on Navalny (somebody seems to want him out of the way) and the recent batch of rumors on Putin's health (really more of the same except now he's apparently really sick) may be a sign that the palace coup is under way. By making this statement, any one who contradicts it can be labeled as a defeatist and anti-Russian, and Prigozhyn positions himself as the commander who led Russia to "victory". Well, in word if not in deed, but in all of Russian history when has there ever been any congruence between word and deed. 

One thing that disturbs me is the way the western press is treating the news of Navalny's illness/poisoning with a degree of sympathy They seem to think that just because Putin put him in prison he must be a good guy. The US should have learned a long time ago that the "enemy of my enemy" is not always necessarily "my friend".

2 hours ago, NamEndedAllen said:

Thanks Bill. And he is reported serving in the 102nd Intelligence Wing, at Otis AFB on Cape Cod. If this went on within a NORAD station, it feels even worse. Materials from DIA, NRO, CIA, NSA, etc. I’d think the TS/SCI high level required areas would have had extremely high security protocols in place. And yet… 

As I understand it, he did IT on the computers that made up the intelligence stream that included those topics. As it's a NORAD facility, they get the same intelligence that combat commanders get. So far, so normal. What jumps out is his ability to copy/record in a facility where that should be difficult if not impossible. A lot of careers ended this week at Otis. 

17 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

This, coupled with the news on Navalny (somebody seems to want him out of the way) and the recent batch of rumors on Putin's health (really more of the same except now he's apparently really sick) may be a sign that the palace coup is under way. By making this statement, any one who contradicts it can be labeled as a defeatist and anti-Russian, and Prigozhyn positions himself as the commander who led Russia to "victory". Well, in word if not in deed, but in all of Russian history when has there ever been any congruence between word and deed. 

Rumours as to chief's health and Navalny being killed just-in-a moment were there as far as one can remember, so they unfortunatelly are hardly evidence. But Prig himself indeed from some time already acts as if unhinged, like when he publically and repeatedly stated Tatarsky's assassination was directed at him. Most probably we simply witness another act of infighting between various actors, since Putin did loosened his dog-leash to try how far they can go.

14 minutes ago, billbindc said:

What jumps out is his ability to copy/record in a facility where that should be difficult if not impossible.

Yes! Exactly. Once the access high clearance is established (apparently) for this guy, and whatever computer skills he has acquired can be used and *perhaps* with his IT cover and *possible* sloppiness at the facility, he is in pretty good position to dig in deep. Concern is that this is still possible at what should have been covered by double and triple checking access records and whatever CI procedures would seem to be warranted. But maybe this is all way off. Some kind of simple but effective shortcut no one thought of, or was available periodically for some routine procedures.

Time should tell.

1 hour ago, Beleg85 said:

ISW made this observation last week when there was a spate of propaganda emphasizing how strong the Russian defenses are.  It does seem that we're gong to see more of heroic trenches and less Nazi killing Terminators.

Steve

Long thread covering the action with the T-72 working over the T-shaped trenchline and interviews with 3 russian POWs who where there.  Interviews have english subs.  I just use chrome to translate the rest of the page to english. (Scroll up the page, I don't know how to post the clips in order).

https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1646962298064457745

Edited by Fenris

2 hours ago, Seminole said:

...was detected by an unidentified government agency “which can monitor certain searches conducted on its classified networks,”

Did I ever tell you I was once doing some BFC work research inline and I happened across my own name in the middle of a government document? Not someone with the same name but me. It was the oddest thing.

13 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Did I ever tell you I was once doing some BFC work research inline and I happened across my own name in the middle of a government document? Not someone with the same name but me. It was the oddest thing.

only one?  Clearly you need to get into some more trouble. 🤫

Putin cancels Victory Day parades as Ukraine invasion continues to unravel (yahoo.com)

The cancellations are officially due to security concerns related to the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine. However, numerous commentators have speculated that Moscow is also increasingly short of tanks and is understandably eager to avoid highlighting the scale of the losses suffered by the Russian army in Ukraine. Whether the real reason is security issues or equipment shortages, the decision to cancel this year’s Victory Day parades represents a painful blow for Vladimir Putin that hints at the grim reality behind Moscow’s upbeat propaganda portrayals of his faltering Ukraine invasion.

These unfavorable circumstances will make Putin’s job all the more difficult as he attempts to strike the right note in this year’s Victory Day address. With little to look forward to, he is likely to seek inspiration from the glories of the past. However, comparisons between World War II and Russia’s present predicament may not prove very flattering. At the height of the Nazi advance in late 1941, Moscow famously staged the annual October Revolution parade on Red Square with the might of the invading German army located a mere few miles away. In contrast, Putin is evidently now unable to defend Russia against the far more modest threat posed by a country he expected to conquer in just three days. Throughout the Putin era, Victory Day has served to showcase Russia’s resurgent strength, but this year’s holiday may become a symbol of his regime’s growing weakness.

Edited by sburke

On 4/12/2023 at 11:15 PM, Battlefront.com said:

OK, sounds like this guy will be arrested very soon.  If these kids know who he is, I'm sure the government does as well.  Now, at least.

I really, really, really wish the intel community (not just US) could do a better job at not granting high clearance levels to extreme wackos of any variety.  I mean, how f'n hard is it to find a couple hundred people that are both sane and qualified for whatever their job is?

I dunno, maybe they are too focused on old school traitors who do it mostly for money or because they are being blackmailed or both.

Steve

I don’t know when the security changes began evolving, but “when I was in,” access to ANY classified documents from Confidential to Top Secret and higher, was on a “need to know basis only.” Even the maintenance manuals were classified Confidential. Even at the Federal Agency at which I worked writing Regulations and Policies required a Confidential Clearance at the very least. When did that change to allowing even low-level IT people to access. At the very least, He should have been restricted to only documents for the computer systems.

A secutity failure at this level of this magnitude are NEVER just a single-point failure. Unfortunately, many times the failures are swept under the rug to keep those in the “good old boy network”from being punished.