How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 hour ago, womble said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the bolded bit is off the mark. We talk a lot here about the ISR capabilities available to the UKR staff, and I don't think they're exaggerated one little bit. I would expect that, before they launched this offensive they knew pretty much where every pair of invading boots lived, and the location and fuel status of every lump of RUS steel larger than a Lada. I would be entirely unsurprised to discover they were anticipating the possibility of such sweeping gains before the operation got the green light.

I'd be even more surprised if they were counting on such levels of success, but plans are allowed to consider more than one outcome, I believe.

This!  Look, even with OSINT, a bunch of history books, and Combat Mission under my belt... even I knew that Ukraine could push hard in this area and that the Russians would crumble fast.  I was surprised by the scale of the collapse because I was surprised by the size of Ukraine's investment.  Had I been a Ukrainian planner of this operation, I wouldn't have been surprised.  Once I saw the scale of Ukraine's commitment to the offensive (er... day 2?) I adjusted my expectations upwards dramatically.

I'll say this again... Russian lines have been at the point of collapse in this area for at least 2 months.  Possibly even more.  The only reason, and I mean THE ONLY, reason they hadn't already collapsed is because Ukraine didn't give it a hard shove.  I figured (correctly) that Ukraine would time such a move to coincide with Kherson, but I didn't count on Ukraine doing a full body slam instead of a hard shove.

What I'm getting at here is that I doubt Ukraine was surprised by the outcome.  Pleased with the speed and relative ease in which was carried out?  Sure, but I bet the outcome is well within their expectations.

Steve

39 minutes ago, sburke said:

Kind of off topic, but I do have one major gripe.  The F'n Russians have ruined military fiction for me.  Now every time I look at a book depicting a Russian advance all I can think of is... "yeah no way.  Too much fantasy, maybe I'll go back and just read the Silmarillion".  sigh

You think you have problems now?  Wait until you see the updated version of CM Black Sea.  Load scenario, hit the GO! button, and then get awarded a Total Victory just for showing up.  On the plus side, we won't have to bother making any AI Plans for the Russian side 😉

Steve

1 hour ago, Huba said:

Steve, please sit down before reading any further!

Ukrainians crossed Seversky Donets in Bilohorivka!!

Ya know, I bet some Ukrainian planners were looking for a place to cross and someone said, "you know what would really drive the RU Nats crazy?  A successful crossing at Bilohorivka".  To which the generals in the room said "brilliant!  Let's do it".

Steve

4 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

You think you have problems now?  Wait until you see the updated version of CM Black Sea.  Load scenario, hit the GO! button, and then get awarded a Total Victory just for showing up.  On the plus side, we won't have to bother making any AI Plans for the Russian side 😉

Steve

And you forgot the error message giving a crash when playing Russians 😂

Sorry, all this talk of drone swarms and nobody's posted this?

The only thing in that clip that's not viable with current levels of tech is the size of the explosions. The launch, the swarming, the aerial manoeuvreability, the AI detection of targets? All possible right now.

Perfect? No. Civilian casualties? Guaranteed. Devastating to troops that aren't under cover? Absolutely.

8 minutes ago, Cederic said:

Sorry, all this talk of drone swarms and nobody's posted this?

The only thing in that clip that's not viable with current levels of tech is the size of the explosions. The launch, the swarming, the aerial manoeuvreability, the AI detection of targets? All possible right now.

Perfect? No. Civilian casualties? Guaranteed. Devastating to troops that aren't under cover? Absolutely.

Yeah, the scary thing is that could be done today for a couple hundred thousand bucks.

Steve

2 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

some interesting pointers from this:

• The Kharkov operation was wildly successful and likely also surprised Ukrainian planners
  • The southern and northern operations are coordinated and interrelated, but different. Kherson is not a faint.
    • for big part Kherson OP enabled the successes of the Kharkov OP
  • Threat to Slovyansk and Kramatorsk has disappeared
  • Most of the personal managed to get away thanks to the total rout (still significant POWs) but extreme equipment losses
  • this is not enough yet, but couple of more operations like this will make the RUS war effort untenable
  • Western military district has (finally) ceased to exist
  • Russian past piecemeal solutions are starting to cumulate hard. (manpower and its retention ext.)
  • Ukraine now has demonstrated strategic level offensive capability and this will happen again.
    • War will now change from what it has been for past months.
    • Ukraine could press the advantage in the north or swing to a new front
    • Most likely again in the weakest spot(s) of the RUS lines.
    • UKR has the advantage of interior lines of movement. Meaning UKR moves troops from North to South in two days when it takes RUS around a week min.
    • Ukraine can keep pushing Kherson and also have another major offensive operation ongoing simultaneously.
  • Smart options for Russia (Mike thinks RUS will again not choose the smart options) 
    • Smartest thing for Russia would be to retreat from the west side of Dnieper and consolidate
    • start partial mobilization with stop-loss policies. These would start bear fruit in 2023

Thanks for the synopsis.  I've not had time to listen to it yet.

Largely agree, except that I don't think Russia will make it through the winter.  I think Kofman is making a similar mistake he's made all along... not taking some basic laws of physics into account.  An object in motion tends to stay in motion.  If that object is big and going downhill, it also accelerates both in terms of speed and the destruction it makes along the way.

Russia's collapse will not likely be linear where the next 6 months looks like an extended version of the last 6 months.  instead, the time to focus on is what happened in the last two weeks and extend from that point.  I don't see Russia lasting much longer.  Even if it manages to make it through the mud season, it won't be recuperated enough to handle the winter.  Especially because I doubt Russia will equip and feed its soldiers properly.

Steve

If he'd just changed that to Russian regime at end he'd have been spot on target.

Russian leader of Crimea threatens pro-Ukrainian protesters
Sergey Aksenov, the Russia-appointed leader of occupied Crimea, said organizers and participants in pro-Ukraine rallies will "be held accountable." He complained that videos from public events in Crimea show residents chanting pro-Ukrainian slogans and singing nationalist songs. That could lead to prosecution and dismissal from jobs, he said in a Telegram post. He suggested they leave Crimea voluntarily.

"It would be rational and logical for those who support the Ukrainian regime to leave for the country they love so much," he wrote.

26 minutes ago, Taranis said:

And you forgot the error message giving a crash when playing Russians 😂

CM Black Sea selection screen
Player selects Russia
 - You selected Russia - Are you sure??? (Y/N)
 - You selected Russia again - Are you really sure???????! (Y/N)
 - You selected Russia - You Lose
 - Would you like to play again?  (Y/N)