ABHE Round

30 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Is that the same as a Proximity Fused HE?

Those use sensors to determine when they're beside something and trigger the detonation.

ABHE shells detonate when a predetermined distance has been travelled. They're anti-personnel weapons, good at killing people who are in defilade.

Edited by Grey_Fox

2 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

Those use sensors to determine when they're beside something and trigger the detonation.

Fair comment in WW2 they were also used to avoid ground burst detonation and explode at a certain height. Against the Japanese with anti aircraft munitions. I just learned something new with ABHE. 

You literally tell the shell two explode X meters after it leaves the muzzle. I think the shell literally counts it rotations and translates that to a distance traveled. so you can take a range finder reading to  ditch, berm, or other cover, and tell the shell to explode just past it. It greatly increases the effectiveness against infantry. I think it is one of the tricks the new multi purpose round for the Abrams can play. Several nations have fielded it in several calibers.

Google says 'ABHE' stands for 'Association for Biblical Higher Education', of course out of Florida. No military definitions.

In CMBS we have the M25 CDTE (counter-enfilade target engagement) that fires 25mm air burst fused HE frag rounds. Another one of those 'near future' weapons that the Pentagon pulled the rug from beneath us after the title was released. Entry into service planned for 2017 but instead got cancelled in 2018 (shakes fists in rage). I guess that might be considered 'ABHE', though it appears 25mm rounds exploding over your head was less troublesome than the Pentagon had anticipated. 

One place you can see 'ABHE' (by another name) effectively in use is CMSF2, the Dutch CV9025 firing 'KETF' rounds. 

Edited by MikeyD

8 hours ago, MikeyD said:

One place you can see 'ABHE' (by another name) effectively in use is CMSF2, the Dutch CV9025 firing 'KETF' rounds. 

KETF rounds are slightly different. But the Brits MK19 in CMSF2 fire ABHE rounds I believe.

On a different note, the 25mm US gun in Black Sea has a thermo round as well that is pretty nifty. The regular ABHE it shoots (in my experience) doesn’t seem very destructive.

11 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Google says 'ABHE' stands for 'Association for Biblical Higher Education', of course out of Florida. No military definitions.

In CMBS we have the M25 CDTE (counter-enfilade target engagement) that fires 25mm air burst fused HE frag rounds. Another one of those 'near future' weapons that the Pentagon pulled the rug from beneath us after the title was released. Entry into service planned for 2017 but instead got cancelled in 2018 (shakes fists in rage). I guess that might be considered 'ABHE', though it appears 25mm rounds exploding over your head was less troublesome than the Pentagon had anticipated. 

image.png

7 hours ago, domfluff said:

image.png

Capture3.thumb.JPG.497d120fe7eca63c196943b366bf39f3.JPG

ABHE is covered in the manual but the acronym "ABHE" is not used (in a searchable form) so its fairly easy to miss. Airburst is the magic word:

High explosive shells fired from many ground weapons are now even deadlier thanks to their ability to airburst directly above the target, or even just behind cover such as a wall or building
window! This capability is possible due to the proliferation of integrated laser rangefinders, targeting computers, and programmable munitions. Airburst capability is available at the squad
level to United States rifle squads in the form of the M25 CDTE as well as to vehicles such as Abrams tanks, Oplot-M tanks, BMP-3s, BTR-82As, and T-90AMs.

Edited by Pelican Pal
airburst

3 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:

Capture3.thumb.JPG.497d120fe7eca63c196943b366bf39f3.JPG

ABHE is covered in the manual but the acronym "ABHE" is not used (in a searchable form) so its fairly easy to miss. Airburst is the magic word:

hmmm yes, I see. you have proved your point that MikeyD, and everyone else don't know how to refine their google searches beyond vague acronyms with no context.

• 2 weeks later...