I honestly think Cold War is my favorite version yet...

Hey all,

I had strayed away from our beloved CM for awhile and then noticed a few weeks ago that Cold War had come out!  What a surprise and something I never thought would happen from the previous talk of it.  Anyway, finally sprung for it and man!  I do think this is my favorite CM game yet!  I don't know what it is or why but it just seems paced and balanced so nicely.  I really really enjoyed Afghanistan back in the day and I really like playing around with the Soviets as well as the NATO forces.  I'm just blown away by how much this has hooked me.  I love CMBS but it's SO DEADLY and more difficult because of all the modern pin-point accuracy.  CMCW just hits the sweet spot.  

How do you all rank this one with the rest of the CM family?

I've had the same exact experience as you. Started on CMBS, bought the rest... the other games are okay. I prefer ripping the maps/scenarios off them and using them in the modern titles. 

Cmbs is good but admittedly feels stale. It lacks content compared to the other games imo. Its also heavily US favored if you don't play Ukrainians. 

As you said, CW feels balanced. I'd say its a little Russian leaning depending on your dragon count. 

CW is definitely my go-to title for now.  So I'm gonna rank it on the top. I haven't even had one laggy battle yet. Even one where I had multiple battalions deployed. 

I guess I am a serial philanderer.  I play all the games and my favorite always seems to the be one I neglected for a while and started again -- "wow, this one is the best, why did I stay away  for months?". 

But I gotta say CMCW is f-ing fantastic.  I've got F&R campaign and a CW campaign going and keep sneaking over to the CW one when F&R isn't looking.  The torture and then joy/disaster of watching those slooooooooow ATGMs reaching out....  those saggers scare me to death

If I had to choose one game?  I can't do it. 

12 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

Hey all,

I had strayed away from our beloved CM for awhile and then noticed a few weeks ago that Cold War had come out!  What a surprise and something I never thought would happen from the previous talk of it.  Anyway, finally sprung for it and man!  I do think this is my favorite CM game yet!  I don't know what it is or why but it just seems paced and balanced so nicely.  I really really enjoyed Afghanistan back in the day and I really like playing around with the Soviets as well as the NATO forces.  I'm just blown away by how much this has hooked me.  I love CMBS but it's SO DEADLY and more difficult because of all the modern pin-point accuracy.  CMCW just hits the sweet spot.  

I agree 100%. I have all of the CM games except for the new Eastern front mod. I waited and waited for it to come out and I gave up on it, but CMCW just has a very nice blend to it. That might be because I served in the Marine Corps during that time and all of the weapons are very familiar to me.

Hey Guys,

Thank you very much for the very positive feedback.  Gotta say that beyond Bil and I dreaming away about the "bads ol days" we were really hoping to deliver something that might bring some entertainment and happiness in what have been some pretty crappy times.  

CMCW is the game that fit the niche we didn't know we were missing (well some definitely did), it is in that sweet spot between WW2 and the modern titles that not only blends but has a unique identity all its own.  I know not everyone will take to it but there are more than enough time-titles in the BFC library for everyone, we are just really glad we could maybe get one more out there.

I started playing Combat Mission in 2009, a couple years after Shock Force dropped. Prior to that the most realistic game I had ever played was Rome Total War, and the most realistic modern war game I had played was World in Conflict. So to go from that straight to CMSF absolutely blew my mind at the time. I've been an avid consumer of every new Combat Mission game that has dropped since then (and I've even gone back to the first gen games and am currently playing through CMAK).

But I've always had a nostalgic place in my heart for World in Conflict (which only intensified when I discovered Operation Flashpoint), and for over a decade now I have been craving a game that could bring the incredible realism of Combat Mission to the fascinating Cold War setting of World in Conflict. So when I first saw the announcement video for CMCW back in February I just about exploded with excitement (I was actually screaming with glee). CMCW is the most satisfying scratch to the longest itch that I've ever had. It is literally a dream come true for me.

9 hours ago, Gary R Lukas said:

I agree 100%. I have all of the CM games except for the new Eastern front mod. I waited and waited for it to come out and I gave up on it, but CMCW just has a very nice blend to it. That might be because I served in the Marine Corps during that time and all of the weapons are very familiar to me.

That's very cool that you served during this time period and now get to actually play it with all the equipment of the era.  Amazing!  I think that's partially why this game is clicking so close to home with me too.  I remember when I was about 12 or 13, so 82-83 and one of my first tabletop hex wargames was an Avalon Hill (I think) Cold War, NATO vs. USSR game.  The cardboard chits were red and blue and had pics of the tanks and vehicles on them and all the goodies that this game has.  I wish I could remember the name of it but it was one of the first games that really hooked me into wargaming.  I keep thinking of that game while I play this one.  Plus one of the first Clancy books I ever red and loved was Red Storm Rising.  Needless to say, growing up during the 70s and 80s really makes this game feel like the one I've been missing.  I haven't had such a good time as well as putting so much time into a CM game in forever.  I may even play a couple PBEM games again.

I think another thing I love is the slow flight of the ATGM missiles and how you hold your breath watching them lazily fly out and take their time getting on target.  So NOT Javelin missiles, ha! I was just playing a mission where two Soviet ATGMs scored kills at over 2km.  That was so fun watching those missiles fly out forever.  This game has atmosphere all over it.  I mean c'mon, I can just spend ten minutes just looking at M60 and M48 Patton tanks from all angles!  I also love the orange magazines on the Soviet AK-74s too.  Everything about this version is just sweetness and I honestly have just as much fun playing either side.  The infantry on infantry firefights with their APCs are just awesome so far and feel so different from the modern games. Honestly, I think I'm digging playing the Soviets even a bit more than the US forces.

Dare I even hope that we get some add-ons to this in other NATO country units?  That would be epic.

Anyway, seriously, thanks for this one.  It really is my favorite of all so far and I've been playing these games since the very beginning.  I wasn't even going to buy it at first but kept looking at screenshots, reading the AARs and then I had to have it.  So glad I decided to jump back in.

Edited by Phantom Captain

1 hour ago, Phantom Captain said:

I remember when I was about 12 or 13, so 82-83 and one of my first tabletop hex wargames was an Avalon Hill (I think) Cold War, NATO vs. USSR game.  The cardboard chits were red and blue and had pics of the tanks and vehicles on them and all the goodies that this game has.  I wish I could remember the name of it but it was one of the first games that really hooked me into wargaming.  I keep thinking of that game while I play this one.  Plus one of the first Clancy books I ever red and loved was Red Storm Rising. 

There were quite a few WW3 games, but there's a fair chance you're actually talking about the boardgame of Red Storm Rising.

Agreed. It's a great mix of technology and balanced forces. While I really enjoy CMBS, I found the Americans with APS to be very hard to beat. The most fun CMBS QB battle I played was both sides as Ukrainians with older equipment. CMSF2 Syrians vs Syrians quick battles were also very fun if you limited the forces to 1970s tech. 

I cannot wait for the first module for CMCW!

On 7/12/2021 at 1:03 AM, domfluff said:

There were quite a few WW3 games, but there's a fair chance you're actually talking about the boardgame of Red Storm Rising.

Ack!  No it wasn't Red Storm Rising the game.  It took place in Europe, and was definitely a Fulda Gap breakthrough "what if".  It had a couple maps I think, or at least it was a big reversible map I seem to recall.  I wish I could think of it, I even tried googling a bunch of games but can't seem to find it.  It was more set up for platoon up to company sized engagements I think.  That's why it hooked me early and young.  It wasn't so big that I couldn't get my head around it.  

I'm just going to have to say one more time how much I am LOVING CMCW.  I've played a few scenarios now and am building up to the campaigns.  I am actually finding medium sized scenarios very doable and enjoyable on this title as well!  I have to say, sitting in an M60 and watching a Soviet MRB come over the hills and down the valleys is just so...epic.   Then the TOW missiles begin their meandering flights out....  

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

When I was called upon to research the timeframe I had to look no farther than the pile of dog-eared reference books on my bookshelf. It was as though i had been prepping for this project since 1979. This was MY timeframe hobbyist-wise.

I feel you.  And didn't even realize it either.  I think that's one of the reasons I really CMA too.  This timeframe really does have more familiarity to me than even the modern stuff.

5 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

Ack!  No it wasn't Red Storm Rising the game.  It took place in Europe, and was definitely a Fulda Gap breakthrough "what if".  It had a couple maps I think, or at least it was a big reversible map I seem to recall.  I wish I could think of it, I even tried googling a bunch of games but can't seem to find it.  It was more set up for platoon up to company sized engagements I think.  That's why it hooked me early and young.  It wasn't so big that I couldn't get my head around it. 

Cold War games on that scale aren't common. Two spring to mind though:

Fireteam https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2699/fire-team

Firepower https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3692/firepower

The latter was Avalon Hill, and seems to have been fairly popular (I saw a copy in a charity shop not long ago).

2 hours ago, domfluff said:

Cold War games on that scale aren't common. Two spring to mind though:

Fireteam https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2699/fire-team

Firepower https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3692/firepower

The latter was Avalon Hill, and seems to have been fairly popular (I saw a copy in a charity shop not long ago).

Holy crap!  It was Fireteam!!  Thank you so much for that, I was going crazy trying to think of it!

I love the balance and pace of CMCW and in this respect, it could also be my favourite. But it needs more content. The battles are too big as for my taste - not that the maps are to big - because it's a good thing, but there are too many units to manage. I can't handle such a big scenarios with the level of micromanagement required in this game. We need more medium and small scenarios - company size being optimal for me.

17 hours ago, Ivanov said:

I love the balance and pace of CMCW and in this respect, it could also be my favourite. But it needs more content. The battles are too big as for my taste - not that the maps are to big - because it's a good thing, but there are too many units to manage. I can't handle such a big scenarios with the level of micromanagement required in this game. We need more medium and small scenarios - company size being optimal for me.

I am actually finding the medium sized scenarios to be quite manageable on this one and I don't really know why compared to the other titles.  I don't usually do large as it starts to get to be too much micromanaging for me too and I get lazy and start to make mistakes.  But on CMCW all the medium battles I've played so far play better than even the small ones.  I really love the balance I'm seeing in this game and the pacing too, which directly ties in to the battle sizes for me.  Everything about this game hits the sweet spot for me, I absolutely love it.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:08 AM, Phantom Captain said:

Hey all,

I love it. I'm not great at it; still trying to get used to a totally tech-inferior US Army, but I love it. I've started using some Quick Maps to play around with different scenarios and force compositions and such. 

I do miss my Javelins, though. The Dragon just isn't enough.