Panzerschreck wont fire?

It could also be a LOS issue.  It is common in CM2 that one can eyeball a situation and think one has a clear LOS, and perhaps the ammo loader can see the target (hence the targeting line), but the gunner cannot see the target. 

The opposite is when you think that you have safely parked a unit behind woods with no LOS to enemy units, but the enemy AI can find that one-pixel-wide gap that enables it to shoot through dozens of meters of dense woods and kill your unit(s).  (It's a lot more fun when it's YOUR unit that finds that one pixel gap and kills an enemy.)

Edited by Erwin

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

By all rights zooks and schreks shouldn't be fired from buildings smaller than an industrial warehouse, anyway, but BFC was generous in that regard.

This plus the fact that at 131m their chance of hitting and killing that T-34 are miniscule, but the chance of its return fire hitting and killing them is massive.

At least I'd like to think that's how things work. ;)

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

By all rights zooks and schreks shouldn't be fired from buildings smaller than an industrial warehouse, anyway, but BFC was generous in that regard. I see the men picked up a machine gun along the way. The game may be a bit confused about what their primary weapon is.

That's what I suspected, among the other things mentioned. The Schreck carrier seems to be acting as a ammo feeder for the MG-42, having shouldered his rifle. The Pz Schreck is probably laying down on the floor somewhere, plus he's tired and cautious of being noticed by the tanks. 😉

They seem to have a 'Target Order'? Is it directed at the tank?

Would the same situation happen to me I'd try to give them a covered armored arc to see if that makes him more willing to fire that Schreck.

On the other hand Schreck crews can be wonderful.  Yesterday on the FB La Gleize map I had a King Tiger about 50m away from a Sherman.  The Sherman could see my KT but not the other way round.  Stressful!  And then I heard that lovely whoosh and saw a shaped charge projectile come from at least another 50m or so behind the KT to knock out the Sherman.  Nice.

Edited by Vacilllator

Fifty or so JS2's pulled up in front of a suspected PAK 75 mm position. The PAK 75 mm didn't fire, and nobody could blame them. Always plan for an exit if you don't have one you didn't plan right. How many people reverses an AFV after you plot a firing order? I watched YouTube videos and not many do. 

On 1/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, weapon2010 said:

its only 30 seconds , but they sit there for another 30 seconds doing nothing , they have a prime target at 131m, they are under command and tired, any thoughts on why they wont fire the PZ?

A: morale is on cautious B: There is no plan to exit the building. C they can't keyhole their target (Sure they can fire and tank B can take them out.) Plot your fire in the last 15 seconds of the 60 minutes turn. At the new turn they can do an exit from the building. Have an assault team popping smoke on the end of their turn. Just a few suggestions. 

7 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

He's confused about how to pronounce the name of his buddy?

Good spot. 

I think we've seen corrupted names before but can't remember which mod it was?  The UI looks like JuJu's but I don't think that was the culprit (I have it here and there are no corrupted names).

On 1/4/2021 at 10:40 PM, chuckdyke said:

How many people reverses an AFV after you plot a firing order?

Yes, in CM1 we had a very useful "Shoot 'n Scoot" command.  One can duplicate that in CM2 with waypoints and delays, but it's an unnecessary make work thing.

A command that I have long put in the "request box" is a command like "Wait in ambush and shoot at a good target, then immediately displace to a 2nd firing position."  This would be useful for all ambushers and snipers, AT teams etc. as well as armor.

Edited by Erwin

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

Yes, in CM1 we had a very useful "Shoot 'n Scoot" command.  One can duplicate that in CM2 with waypoints and delays, but it's an unnecessary make work thing.

A command that I have long put in the "request box" is a command like "Wait in ambush and shoot at a good target, then immediately displace to a 2nd firing position."  This would be useful for all ambushers and snipers, AT teams etc. as well as armor.

One question for you if I may. If you lay in an ambush using a cover arc and hide command. The target moving inside your cover arc triggers unhide and puts you back into hide once the target is dealt with? Once a unit may have compromised his position a second fire position would be obvious. What you possibly ask for is like an action editor. Photography is my other hobby, and you can make Actions in Photoshop. In Combat Mission it would be something like using the 'Editor' and saving a battle drill in a library to use in future battles. 

12 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Having another look in the picture the answer is obvious. He didn't have an anti-armor arc and his primary weapon seems to be the MG 42. 

The anti armour arc only prevents firing (against targets outside the arc), and it's the assistant who carries the MG42.

The team even has a direct fire order on the first tank.

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

The anti armour arc only prevents firing (against targets outside the arc), and it's the assistant who carries the MG42.

The team even has a direct fire order on the first tank.

They don't display the Panzerschreck but display the MG 42. I seldom give direct fire orders and trust the AI by using specified firing orders by using cover arcs. Firing orders for area fire the AI doesn't take the initiative. But everybody has their own style, I am generous in my cover arcs, it is frustrating at times to see targets ignored which are just 5 meters outside. This case has more to do with the morale state which is on cautious.

9 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

This case has more to do with the morale state which is on cautious.

I don't think so. Even broken troops will open fire when they see a target. I think Lethaface is on to something with the idea that the AT guy is confused about his role and playing ammo loader for the MG. Basically a small bug, because his AT role should take priority...

22 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I don't think so. Even broken troops will open fire when they see a target. I think Lethaface is on to something with the idea that the AT guy is confused about his role and playing ammo loader for the MG. Basically a small bug, because his AT role should take priority...

I wouldn't even worry about it; we can spin theories galore. Did he pick up the MG 42 or Panzerschreck during the game? If I wouldn't do something myself, I don't blame the pixel-trooper. Direct fire as a rule of thumb I rarely plot if there is a choice of 2 or more it is a different matter.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:15 AM, weapon2010 said:

its only 30 seconds , but they sit there for another 30 seconds doing nothing , they have a prime target at 131m, they are under command and tired, any thoughts on why they wont fire the PZ?

IMHO this is one of the greatest limitation of the game engine. It could be different reasons, but you'll never know which one prevented your men to fire because the game doesn't tell you this info.
LOS? Morale? Bug? Why couldn't we have in the left corner of the screen a more verbose log of the action taken by the soldier? Like "spotting" -> "T-34 spotted", "targeting T34", etc.