hollow charges proof armour?

The upgraded  Pz IV H, that appears in the game,was designed with an spaced armour arround the turret and armoured skirts(schürzen) to protect the vehicle from rounds with hollow charges like bazooka rounds.i wonder if this really works in the game because I'm under the sensation that it doesn't make any difference with tanks without this feature.Has anybody made some test about it?,is the spaced armour really effective in stopping bazooka rounds?

Edited by arpella72

That extra armor was initially designed to stop anti-tank rifle rounds, the affect on shaped charge warheads was not intended from the beginning. I'm pretty sure in some cases it actually doesn't help much at all because it detonates the charge prematurely and the jet can still penetrate afterwords.

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me but I think I have the jist of it!

Edited by Raptorx7

I recall even the Germans at the time were unsure about the efficacy of those armored skirts. it was designed to counter anti-tank rifles but if the troops wanted to believe they helped against hollow charge too that helped with morale if nothing else. The allies were no better informed. They were the ones who coined the term 'bazooka plates'. A lot of what we consider 'common knowledge'  about WWII equipment only came to the surface decades later after much research into original documents.

4 hours ago, sburke said:

Well I just hit a tank with a Bazooka round in the turret last night that had the skirt- result- 1 dead bazooka team.  My impressions is they do work at least some of the time- like when it is MY bazooka guy

Yeah, my experiences have often been similar, though sometimes you get lucky. Lots of variable play into it though -what kind of HEAT round, where it hits, angle of dangle, ect... 

I'd rather have 'em and not need them than need them and not have them. 

The Germans designed them originally on the Eastern front to protect against HE. Some smaller Soviet rounds would detonate on them first before hitting the tank. The soviets used HE rounds instead of AP in their tanks constantly. The bazooka has a shaped charge not hollow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_armour

1200px-Pz-IVG-latrun-4.jpg

Edited by user1000

Found this over at WH

Despite the reputation of German leviathans such as the Tiger, Panther, and Elefant armored vehicles, the predominant tank in German service throughout the war remained the venerable, dependable Mark IV. In fact, Col. Gen. Heinz Guderian, a legendary German armored commander, even recommended a “quantity over quality” approach, concentrating on mass-producing upgraded Mark IVs rather than expending valuable time, resources and manufacturing capabilities developing new tanks.

The PTR series of weapons with the BS-41 tungsten-cored armor-piercing round was able to penetrate 35 to 40mm of armor at 300 meters; the side armor of the German Mark III and Mark IV tanks was only 30mm at its thickest on the flanks. The addition of another 8mm of steel armor Schurzen, physically separate from the hull armor, in addition to providing extra thickness, caused the 14.5mm round to expend much of its energy and begin to tumble from a nose-first attitude while penetrating this first layer. It also helped to protect the more vulnerable wheels and suspension system.

Some Western historians have nicknamed these skirts “bazooka pants” and attribute their addition to the appearance of shaped-charge weapons such as the American bazooka and British PIAT. The use of Schurzen was undoubtedly quite effective against shaped-charge HEAT (high explosive antitank) rounds as well, but its adoption was due to Soviet antitank rifles. German accounts from both the field and manufacturers lay the adoption of Schurzen squarely at the feet of the endless supply of Soviet antitank rifles.

Guerdian stated, “The ‘aprons’ were sheets of armor plating which were hung loose about the flanks and rear end of the Panzer III and Panzer IV and the assault guns; they were intended to deflect or nullify the effect of the Russian infantry’s antitank weapons, which could otherwise penetrate the relatively thin, vertical body armor of those types of vehicle.”

For those unable to use Google:

"hollow charge:  A shaped charge producing a deep cylindrical hole of relatively small diameter in the direction of its axis of rotation."

"A shaped charge is an explosive charge shaped to focus the effect of the explosive's energy. Various types are used to cut and form metal, initiate nuclear weapons, penetrate armor, and "complete" wells in the oil and gas industry.  A shaped charge is a concave metal hemisphere or cone (known as a liner) backed by a high explosive, all in a steel or aluminum casing. When the high explosive is detonated, the metal liner is compressed and squeezed forward, forming a jet whose tip may travel as fast as 10 kilometers per second."

Edited by Erwin

30 minutes ago, Erwin said:

For those unable to use Google:

"hollow charge:  A shaped charge producing a deep cylindrical hole of relatively small diameter in the direction of its axis of rotation."

"A shaped charge is an explosive charge shaped to focus the effect of the explosive's energy. Various types are used to cut and form metal, initiate nuclear weapons, penetrate armor, and "complete" wells in the oil and gas industry.  A shaped charge is a concave metal hemisphere or cone (known as a liner) backed by a high explosive, all in a steel or aluminum casing. When the high explosive is detonated, the metal liner is compressed and squeezed forward, forming a jet whose tip may travel as fast as 10 kilometers per second."

The same thing, in other words.

4 hours ago, Armorgunner said:

I think the difference might be that user1000 is not native english speaking.

I don't think so, though that is a possibility. My own pet theory is that he is a bright but of limited education 17 year old who is new to military matters, but is enthusiastically trying to absorb as much as quickly as he can. Unfortunately, his immaturity sometimes trips him up as he makes declarations with greater confidence than is justified. But he is making progress in that he is not as snotty about it all as he used to be.

Michael

2 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

I don't think so, though that is a possibility. My own pet theory is that he is a bright but of limited education 17 year old who is new to military matters, but is enthusiastically trying to absorb as much as quickly as he can. Unfortunately, his immaturity sometimes trips him up as he makes declarations with greater confidence than is justified. But he is making progress in that he is not as snotty about it all as he used to be.

Michael

:D:D:D Well as long as he is making progress in the right Way. 

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Michael

whine and mope, instead of offering something decent of which the original poster was questioning about...

Edited by user1000

JonS,

Hollow charges, shaped charges, HEAT and what the Russians and others refer to as "charges of cumulative effect" are the exact same thing. The last absolutely baffled me when I came across it in translated Russian military literature, for I had zero idea what it meant and had to puzzle it out for myself.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

I found this interesting information,some test carried out by the Canadians in february 1945.

https://servicepub.wordpress.com/2014/08/30/allied-trials-to-counteract-panzerfaust-attacks/

It says that spaced armour must,at least, 75cm wide to be effective against hollow charges and that less space can even enhance their effect.

Edited by arpella72