new muzzle effects and tracers

Hilts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm under the impression that "sniper tracer spotting" is intended.  Sometimes you see the tracer, sometimes you don't, and if you see it you can try area fire just as real soldiers would.  The same thing can happen (or not) with tank and AT gun fire, bazooka rounds, etc.

Of course this provides a much greater benefit in turn-based play vs real-time, but there are a lot of things in the game that do that.

OK, Vein's tracers are of the format:

"beam_tracer mip[n].bmp", with one file as just "beam_tracer.bmp"

where [n] is 1 to 8 (total 9 files)

New v4.0 engine tracers seem to be:

"beam_tracer_[colour] mip[n]/bmp", with one "beam_tracer_[colour].bmp

where [colour] is green, orange or red, and [n] is 1 to 8 again (so 9 per colour or 27 in total)

I am guessing that putting "_red" in all of Vein's files immediately converts the red tracers to Vein's mod. To do the other colours, someone needs to change the bmps themselves to have the right colours, then change the names accordingly. A quick fudge would be to clone Vein's existing files 3 times and have all 3 colours the same (red),

I dont have time to do this now, (nor, necessarily, the skill to colour his mods differently yet maintain common look and feel!)

Oh, and IIRC Vein's tracers are actually a choice of 3 (A, B or C sets so all 3 sets would need this treatment for the full customer base!). I use C, the most subtle (hinders the "fire on the beam laser from the sniper" effect!)

All credit to Vein of course - no attempt to kidnap his work intended.

Tracer and muzzle flashes updated in my Special Effects mod.

This is option C only (in case you downloaded from the old repository instead of from my dropbox). These are the only ones there will be.

If the link has a daily download limit you'll just have to wait for it to refresh. If it goes dead for any reason just drop me a PM. I have only tested red and green tracers so let me know if the white ones come out rainbow coloured or somesuch foolery.

Enjoy (updated link):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q262mctll7m4osy/Veins CMBS special effects.rar?dl=0

CM Black Sea 2016-12-30 15-56-51-96.jpg

Edited by Vein

49 minutes ago, Vein said:

Tracer and muzzle flashes updated in my Special Effects mod.

This is option C only (in case you downloaded from the old repository instead of from my dropbox). These are the only ones there will be.

If the link has a daily download limit you'll just have to wait for it to refresh. If it goes dead for any reason just drop me a PM. I have only tested red and green tracers so let me know if the white ones come out rainbow coloured or somesuch foolery.

Enjoy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7dzpsgl4hvs70j/Veins CMBS special effects.rar?dl=0

CM Black Sea 2016-12-30 15-56-51-96.jpg

One of us is having a bad day... looked at the file and it has original (non-colour differentiated) files. 

16 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

The problem isn't the tracer.  Its the player watching, rewinding, zooming in, and using player aids to track down every detail.  Nothing wrong with that, I do it.  But if you don't want to do that, play hard rules to not use replay and always remain at level 1.

No, the problem is that for some inexplicable reason Battlefront decided to make every small arm round fired, a tracer. There was no problem before that! I spend most of the time down at level 1 and as Macisle pointed out this only exaggerates the effects. I make no apologies for viewing the action multiple times because that is the beauty of the game and makes it stand out from the rest of the crap that's out there. In any case if a squad member drops due to sniper fire it's only natural to try and identify from where the shot came from. However I want it to take three or four game turns to pinpoint the sniper not 30 seconds, as is now the case.

2 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

After I topped Mr. Charles Stuart it was downhill all the way.

True, but it was a useful piece of work anyway that sent a message to Europe's crowned heads that they should watch their step henceforth. Regrettably, it was a message they were reluctant to hear, so the point had to be driven home more forcefully in France a century or so later. That in turn led to all that inconvenient nonsense around that upstart Napoleon and it would be decades before anyone could get a decent night's rest.

Michael