new muzzle effects and tracers

Hilts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Anyone know if the new muzzle effects and tracers can be disabled? I now have clouds of thick black smoke coming out of MGs and automatic weapons and the tracers look like laser beams.

Is this happening in a saved game that was originally started before the 4.0 upgrade or a new game started after 4.0?  

These new effects are definitely in the new v400.brz files that installed with the game engine upgrade. The file names for tracers and muzzle effects have changed so any mods for those will not work with new or old save games. As Ian wrote, someone will probably mod them eventually. I myself have no talent when it comes to this.

Edited by WallysWorld

Is smoke in the new engine 4 version supposed to look like big nebulous balls of copper colored gas??    Really??  What in the world was wrong with the appearance of smoke and who came up with the new appearance?  Ugh.   Hopefully someone has or will create a mod to fix it. 

24 minutes ago, c3k said:

If you fire up an old savegame in the NEW game engine, then smoke uses fire graphics for the first 2 turns...or so. Keep playing and you'll see. (It shouldn't do this with new battles.)

They are all new games in the new 4.0 version! I was going to put some pictures up but have forgotten how to do so.....

24 minutes ago, akd said:

Is it possible you have an effects mod that is somehow in conflict?

Just retried it with all mods removed. The quantity of smoke is the same but it's now white instead of black. MGs are chucking out as much smoke as a steam train and my riflemen look like they are firing muskets. Who at Battlefront thought this looks better than it did?

Yeah what ken said :D

What has changed is the smoke, which I think looks cool and not at all star wars ish. The red tracers look like they did before but now other nations have a different colour. There were always people that thought the tracers looked like lazers. Now they just get to tell us all about it again.

V4 is the gift that keeps on giving :)

59 minutes ago, akd said:

They are red because they are supposed to be red tracer, which is pretty red.

The thickness and transparency of the tracers in this video look very similar to what they are in Vein's Effects. The stock CM tracers pre and post 4.0 are way too thick and opaque.

I love the new smoke effect for small arms (it makes me happy every time I see it), though it might be toned down just a bit (not in time length, but in cloud size). However, my vote would be to use the new colors in the same style of thickness and opacity as Vein's tracers/muzzle flashes.

Vein's fire effects are still far superior to stock, though there appear to be new origin points on vehicles that don't match as well as they did in earlier engine versions.

Edit: I think some of this is subjective to what view level you tend to use the most. For those of us that like to spend a lot of time zoomed in close in replays, the stock effects are overdone. However, if you spend more time zoomed out, they are more on the mark.

Edited by Macisle

10 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

ok here are the stock tracers unmodded game engine 4, I find them to be way to red and somewhat starwars like, help me Obiwan.

I can't see anything wrong in this video, either the color or the so-called "laser effect". In any event, like most arguments over the looks of the game, to me it all comes across as a tempest in a teapot. Everybody has a right to an opinion; you expressed yours and now I have expressed mine. I'd call that even-steven.

:)

Michael

10 hours ago, Macisle said:
11 hours ago, IanL said:

<Snip>  What has changed is the smoke, which I think looks cool and not at all star wars ish. The red tracers look like they did before but now other nations have a different colour. There were always people that thought the tracers looked like lazers. Now they just get to tell us all about it again. <Snip> 

I am waiting on some PBEMs to be completed before downloading Engine 4.  So what nations have what color of tracers?  And @Macisle those puffs of smoke are cool :)

7 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

maybe my opinion is based on a lack of knowledge about what tracers really look like, maybe this is super accurate?I don't know now, but should every bullet be a tracer?

I think @akd's video shows that they look pretty good. I liked vein's mod so hopefully he will update his with the other colours. 

No, not all rounds are tracers in real life but in game they are to make it easier to see what is happening. It is that way for playability.

14 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

ok here are the stock tracers unmodded game engine 4, I find them to be way to red and somewhat starwars like, help me Obiwan.

Actually, from this angle and distance, the stock tracers look quite similar to those in the video of real tracers. -Just need a bit more transparency. Like I said in my edit, I think the laser effect is more apparent at closer zooms and from certain angles, like perpendicular to the line of fire.

12 minutes ago, IanL said:

I think @akd's video shows that they look pretty good. I liked vein's mod so hopefully he will update his with the other colours. 

No, not all rounds are tracers in real life but in game they are to make it easier to see what is happening. It is that way for playability.

I'm guessing the "heavy" stock muzzle flash and tracers are intended for general playability at higher view levels and realtime play. Like I said earlier, if you play turn-based and spend a lot of time zoomed in to watch the replays from every angle, the stock graphics are too "clunky" and not as realistic as Veins. However, if you spend most of your time at higher levels and/or playing realtime, then the stock graphics are likely helpful for their extra visibility and the graphical details aren't seen anyway.

So, I can see the reasoning. I do hope Vein updates his, though.

Edited by Macisle