Reiter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for double post . 

When we now have flamethrower in couple forms, we need to get them work as in Warfield. With torching dry forest , it is clear that troops there hiding or defending get morale and fatigue loss , even they are not immediate closeness to the flames . Smoke inhalation , hotness, smoke itself. See the retreating troops from there and shoot them in the back. Also , when we have flames , we see how burning wehicles start chain reaction .  I own all cmx2 games, except Italy and all cmx1 , so as customer I maybe have justice to "nag" about this. It is also frustrating , that devs do no speak a word about this, will they add it and when. 

With all this talk about fire, I'm reminded of the beautiful huge fires in Wargame: European Escalation.  It's a shame the latter entries removed this effect.  It's still the best of them all gameplay-wise, I think.  I always loved seeing burning wrecks cause huge fires to spread across the fields.

Wargame-1_1331193996.jpg

26 minutes ago, Euri said:

What is all this obsession with big fires? Is this is a forum for pyromaniacs?

Large_bonfire.jpg

What?  I can't hear you over the sound of this fire!  I admit, I'm a bit of a pyro.  My job involves things that burn (when they're supposed to, when they're not supposed to, when they shouldn't be able to, and so on).

On a more serious note - it is pretty atmospheric and can shape the battle when a fire gets out of control.

Edited by HerrTom

Sorry guys, too busy "cooking" something up in Stalingrad.  I don't have CMBS yet, but might some day, so I just lurk here from time to time. 

I remember well in CMBB having a panzer explode in a wheat field, which then started burning and I'd have to rush my infantry out of the damn flaming wheat or lose them all. :(

2s8ihj8.jpg

MOS, nice to be remembered well.  :D  Flamethrower screens shots are some of the most dramatic in the game.

Will flame units be appearing in CMBS?  Hmmm???

Heinrich505

8 hours ago, Heinrich505 said:

Sorry guys, too busy "cooking" something up in Stalingrad.  I don't have CMBS yet, but might some day, so I just lurk here from time to time. 

I remember well in CMBB having a panzer explode in a wheat field, which then started burning and I'd have to rush my infantry out of the damn flaming wheat or lose them all. :(

2s8ihj8.jpg

MOS, nice to be remembered well.  :D  Flamethrower screens shots are some of the most dramatic in the game.

Will flame units be appearing in CMBS?  Hmmm???

Heinrich505

I believe flamethrowers etc are banned from modern warfare with contracts , as battle gasses.  But as we heard from Syria , there has been used mustard gas , dunno if flamethrowers . I think that in some third world countries they maybe be in use and certain artillery explosives contains maybe some flammable indegridents .  Just quessing here. . . 

"I believe flamethrowers etc are banned from modern warfare with contracts, as battle gasses." 

We in first world countries love banning any weapons system that a weaker opponent may use to even the playing field - eg: mines.   Instead of crude flamers we have sophisticated thermobaric warheads etc.  However, in war one needs to use whatever is at hand that will enable a win as quickly and economically (minimal friendly casualties) as possible.  That's the major reason why Truman was correct in using atomic weapons vs Japan.

BTW:  Saw "Hacksaw Ridge" yesterday.  The Okinawa battle scenes which cover half of the entire film are the most gruesome I have ever seen - they make the bloody D-Day scene in "Saving Private Ryan" look like a walk in the park(!).  ("Nice" depiction of flamethrowers and their effects on humans as well.)

On 11/2/2016 at 1:00 PM, hattori said:

I saw this on the wiki article about Battlefront:

"On July 1, 2010, battlefront hired Phillip Culliton as a "First Second Programmer" after operating for 13 years with a single coder. "

ONE coder and now TWO?  I'm going to cut Battlefront a ton of slack, and I'm now more impressed with the work they have done.

Or you could look at games like rimworld who don't just have one coder, their *entire* team is one person and have put out actually weekly updates to the game for 2 years now.

I do not think flamethrowers are banned. From what I could gather you are just not allowed to use them if civilians could be collateral and the gains do not hugely outweigh the "damage", or against "nature" if it could start a large fire - unless the enemy is there. Believe they are also not that practical compared to the alternatives, for example thermobaric weapons. Maybe, it is true, couldn't find it - but there are lot of rumors around, like that the Geneva convention bans use of ordinary 50. cal against personnel.

Next thing, armies will not be allowed to use high-power-many-mega-watts-lasers because they might cause eye damage - or distract cats.

Edited by Muzzleflash1990

Indeed.  Seems you are correct.  From Wikipedia:

"Flamethrowers have not been in the U.S. arsenal since 1978, when the Department of Defense unilaterally stopped using them. They have been deemed of questionable effectiveness in modern combat and the use of flame weapons is always a public relations issue due to the horrific death they inflict. Despite some assertions, they are not generally banned, but are banned for use against civilians, or against military targets in a concentration of civilians under some circumstances."