The Best War Movie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings about "The Thin Red Line." If I hadn't read the book first, I probably would've liked it much more. It was a beautifully shot movie, and I liked it otherwise. I just think it strayed too much from the book.

"Cross of Iron." Man, how did I leave that one off of my top 5. D'OH!

"Winter War" sounds very interesting. Is it available w/English subtitles? Anyone? I'm not interested in dubbed movies (Godzilla excepted smile.gif)

Have and love:

Cross of Iron

Das Boot Director's Cut

Saving Private Ryan

AND A LATE AMENDMENT (can't believe I forgot this one)

Apocalypse Now - extremely powerful when seen under the influence of... oh, never mind.

I need to order:

Stalingrad

The Bridge

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 10-12-2000).]

Guest dirkd1976

I've got to go with RAN. I know its not a WW2 movie, but I love it. All hail to great (and unfortunately dead) Akira Kurosawa!!

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Dog:

I'm torn between "Das Boot", "Stalingrad", and "Cross of Iron" for the best WW2 movie.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stalingrad: wide screen, subtitled= great movie. The infantry/tank battle is phenomenal.

Guest Rex_Bellator

SPR in terms of atmosphere and power - but it is let down for me by the usual Hollywood 'Artistic License' (eg. Walking from Omaha to reach the Paras - they were scattered all around Utah, couldn't be done! Oh, and TIGERS, for goodness sake! The armor around the American sectors consisted of a few Assault Guns and some old French tanks).

I think the producers should have sat down and played John Tillers excellent Normandy'44 game to get a true picture of the situation. IMHO the storyline was powerful enough without the need for embelishments.

Good Films

-----------

SPR

Das Boot

Patton

Tora! Tora! Tora!

A Bridge To Far (disjointed)

Cross of Iron

Stalingrad (too long and slow)

Battle of Britain (excellent vintage plane footage)

The Longest Day (Hokey acting on the part of John Wayne and Robert Mitchum but some solid performances by Richard Burton and others)

Kelly's Hero's (fake but fun + Clint Eastwood)

Mediocre Films

--------------

When Trumpets Fade (Yawning cliches)

Winter War (The story goes nowhere and is very confusing)

Memphis Bell (Too much mom and apple pie)

Battleground (Hokey over acting, but that was the craft of the period)

Worst Films

-----------

Battle of The Bulge (ridiculously inaccurate)

Midway (horrible acting and cheezy effects)

Thin Red Line (Every soldier is a poet)

Just about anything with John Wayne in it

Guest Madmatt

If you guys want a great source for movies than pop over to http://www.belleandblade.com they own thre rights to Winter War and even replaced my first defective copy free of charge!

Now, to my favorite movies (in no order)

The most FUN war movie is: Kelly's Heroes

Now then for the rest:

The Longest Day

SPR

A Bridge Too Far

Memphis Belle

Cross of Iron

Winter War

Stalingrad

Das Boot

Tora Tora Tora

Midway

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan (you tell me that wasn't a war!)

The Bridges at Toko-Ri

Waterloo

All Quite on the Western Front (yeah, with Johnboy!)

Zula Dawn

Zulu

Breaker Morant

Ok, I am spent, for now...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 10-12-2000).]

Patton

Longest Day

Zulu

Platoon

Hopefully, the upcoming Ed Harris flick "Enemy at the Gates" will join this esteemed crowd.

Haven't seen SPR yet. Can't seem to get myself up for it. Maybe soon.

Oh yeah, one other flick. See if you can guess from the sig.

------------------

Two Rules to Live By:

1. Never Get Out of the Boat.

2. Charlie Doesn't Surf.

Saving Private Ryan is clearly the best of all time......of course it had special effect advantages over others. Other than that, my votes go to "Cross of Iron", "A Bridge Too Far", "The Longest Day", and "Patton". "Thin Red Line" was also great, but i also put it in the "special effect" advantage category compared to other choices. Even though Sam Peckinpaugh (spelling) overdoes the slow motion thing, "Cross of Iron" is my favourite because of the subject matter........very partial to the Eastern Front.

I can't believe there is not one mention of

these two....

Appocolyspe Now

Full Metal Jacket

(I think those are war movies, last time I checked)

How about ... this odd one?

Hannibal Brooks

About some weird guy that frees some elephants (yes real ones with four legs and trunks for noses) from a bombed out WW II German Zoo and uses them (it) to take down some German railbridge.

Any body seen that one?

(I think the lead actor in the movie Hannibal Brooks, was the same guy that was the leader of the kids in the Star Trek episode (featuring William Shatner's daughter) where the kids had a gang that called all elders "grups" and said things like "Bong Bong on there heads" anyway in that Star Trek original series episode when the kids got to a certian age they went crazy or got sick or something. Shatner's daughter was one of the kids.

comments? anyone remember that one?

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 10-12-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

Stalingrad: wide screen, subtitled= great movie. The infantry/tank battle is phenomenal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DVD version on a 34" HDTV with 6 speaker surround sound system. The only way to watch a movie. cool.gif

Among the dozens mentioned I have to agree with them all ('The Beast' being a personal favorite) but there are a few other 'War' movies that I feel need to be mentioned. Formost on the list is "Shindler's List", not the action of the others but VERY powerful. Add to that "Life is Beautiful", "Sobibor", "The Great Escape", and of course the soon to be released Pearl Harbor.

To get into the gaming feeling for CM while I waited for it in the mail I rented A bridge to far, Kellies Heroes, The Big Red one, The Longest Day, Operation Emerald, and Stalingrad. I'm not sure if I have seen Cross of Iron could someone tell me if what it's about? I own "Saving Private Ryan" so I think it's the best (best WW2 but not best war movie) As for the ones I rented I thought Big Red One was pretty good it was made my an actual rifleman in ww2 if you look on the box. Stalingrad was great too, someone mentioned the infantry versus tank scene; that part I remember well. Also special mention, on a midnight clear liked that one also.

Johnno smile.gif (my three cents)

Platoon

Three Kings

Zulu

All Quiet on the Western front

Bridge over the river Kwai

Hmm Just been looking around but Dr. Strangelove not really a war movie, it goes beyond into pure excellence, it more in the class of Cabaret or Casablanca of movies set in a war milieu. And even better it has some of Peter Seller’s best work and Gorge C Scott foreshadows his superb character study of Patton.

------------------

From the jshandorf

"Why don't we compare reality to the game like Bastables likes to do all the time?"

Mr T's reply

"Don't touch me FOO!"

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 10-13-2000).]