SOLVED: Aquire mortar HE from truck -> mortar smoke disappears

When I put my mortar ammo carriers in a truck to pick up some 81mm HE mortar bombs, I noticed that after aquiring, the truck's 4 mortar smoke bombs had also disappeared, and they had not transfered to the ammo carriers. Has this been reported as a bug?

Nevermind, I solved the problem. Will leave this here for others to find if they have the same issue. The reason that the smoke disappears is that the ammo carriers can't carry any more mortar ammo. If you put another ammo carrier team in the truck, the rest of the ammo becomes visible to them, if they have room to spare.

Edited by Bulletpoint

This limitation applies to all support weapons.  It's especially obvious when you have a small team.  The can only carry a few bazooka or mortar ammo.  However...  I don't recall encountering a limit on small arms ammo - in that I have loaded a small team up with so much that it would have been hard to carry - and the ACQUIRE button was still active.  There should be more limits on how much small arms ammo a unit can carry.  Going over a thousand rounds per man is ridiculous.

44 minutes ago, Erwin said:

This limitation applies to all support weapons.  It's especially obvious when you have a small team.  The can only carry a few bazooka or mortar ammo.  However...  I don't recall encountering a limit on small arms ammo - in that I have loaded a small team up with so much that it would have been hard to carry - and the ACQUIRE button was still active.  There should be more limits on how much small arms ammo a unit can carry.  Going over a thousand rounds per man is ridiculous.

At least when personnel units get overloaded, it slows down personnel units as you cannot select the Fast command when overloaded.

1 hour ago, Blazing 88's said:

At least when personnel units get overloaded, it slows down personnel units as you cannot select the Fast command when overloaded.

Yes, this is a nice change, I think it was only added in recently.

I would actually like to see additional weight carry even bigger penalties to movement speeds and fatigue. It would add more importance to using trucks and jeeps to carry your troops around and supply them with ammo.

IIRC, units can still move FAST even when I would consider them overloaded - eg: carrying over 1000 rounds per man plus support weapons and/or ammo.  Strangely, in all the many years I have played CM2, I have never kept adding ammo to see how many rounds can be acquired before the system stops you.  (Partly cos there is no UN-ACQUIRE command.)

My wish is for a new ACQUIRE system that allows for swapping ammo between adjacent units.  It's a PITA in WEGO to ACQUIRE from a vehicle:  To resupply many units you either have a long and time-wasting line of squads that takes several turns, or, you... a) SPLIT squads into teams; b) MOUNT teams from several squads into vehicle; c); ACQUIRE; d) DISMOUNT; e) RECOMBINE with other team(s). 

46 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I was thinking that previously many were asking for "ammo dumps", but now they are available, no new user-made scenarios are featuring them.  It's a shame.

I believe it's because most scenarios have the player attacking. Ammo dumps are more of a feature for the defender. If the attacker brings along ammo, it's usually coming in a truck.

My upcoming scenario will likely feature an ammo dump, but it will be mostly as a flavour object and have little impact on the battle.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Precisely...  it's very hard to think of scenarios that feature dumps - considering how many people were clamoring for that feature.

I create defensive "against all odds" style QB's for myself all the time (ones not good enough to be released publicly, unfortunately) where ammo dumps play a prominent role. I doubt I'm the only one. So it's definitely an appreciated feature. Their absence would be (and apparently once was) felt quite acutely.

Am not trying to get into an argument, just confirming that so far we can only think of two(?) user-made scenarios/missions (available for d/l) that feature ammo dumps. 

Considering the hard choices that BF has to make re desired features, I hope that ammo dumps didn't take more than a few minutes to implement.

Am still wishing that eventually BF can implement a new ACQUIRE routine.  The CM2 game itself is extremely good at this point.  IMO the focus now needs to be on streamlining the UI to make it easier and quicker to play the game (esp larger scenarios), so that one can focus on tactics and less on turn-consuming complex series of mouse clicks.

Edited by Erwin

Not sure why we haven't seen many T-70 heavy scenarios, but the problem with Hummels, Wespes, Nashorns and the like is that they would generally only be used at long range, and the vast majority of CM2 scenarios feature small maps, or short LOS opportunities. 

I reckon that one reason that CM1 is still widely played is that it's easy to have 8K x4K maps with long (2K+) ranges on which it is fun to operate long range systems like the above.

A large ammo dump is an important element in a SP defensive scenario I'm working on for CMRT.

I love the feature myself. Sure, they don't come into play that often, but when they do, they are very cool and can add a lot.

If the situation calls for it, designers definitely need to be able to give a side more ammo without having to add a vehicle just to get it.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Not sure why we haven't seen many T-70 heavy scenarios, but the problem with Hummels, Wespes, Nashorns and the like is that they would generally only be used at long range, and the vast majority of CM2 scenarios feature small maps, or short LOS opportunities. 

I reckon that one reason that CM1 is still widely played is that it's easy to have 8K x4K maps with long (2K+) ranges on which it is fun to operate long range systems like the above.

I use T-70s reasonably often in my not-ready-for-prime-time personal scenarios. Can't say the same for the others you mentioned.

Oh, BTW, we exchanged posts about RO2 the other day. That actually features the T-70. You can have an AI crew member or crew the tank with another human. While the infantry graphics are not as good as I hoped, they put a lot of work into the tank internals and you can look around the tank and see the crew doing things. Those graphics are quite nice.

I'm not sure about the RO2 armor and ballistics, though. They seem a bit off compared to what I assume is very accurate modeling in CM. Not surprising, but I wish they weren't.

Just FYI in case you're interested.

Thanks.  I have an original RO from years ago.  But, since CM came out in 98/99 have bought hardly any other computer games other than GTA series, and a few from Matrix: Grigsby's games, and DC Barbarossa.

I have a large box of the (unopened) best computer sims esp flight sims from pre-99 that I really need to check out.

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

Thanks.  I have an original RO from years ago.  But, since CM came out in 98/99 have bought hardly any other computer games other than GTA series, and a few from Matrix: Grigsby's games, and DC Barbarossa.

I have a large box of the (unopened) best computer sims esp flight sims from pre-99 that I really need to check out.

Yeah, I seldom buy any other games anymore. I picked up RO2 a few weeks ago as an impulse buy when it dropped to 5 bucks in a weekly sale. It was the first new one in ages.

11 hours ago, Erwin said:

I highly recommend GG's WITE (War In The East) if you have not tried it as of yet.  Epic! 

Would you be interested in Flight Commander 2 (FC2, modern air war), PC board game style play, top down view, from the mid 90's (old Battlefront game designed by Charles Moylan), there is a working abandon-ware dosbox win7 version (should work on win 10). PM me if interested.
Here is a scenario site for FC2 (scenario's created from TV shows like Dogfights, past modern history, board games, etc), very cool!!: https://sites.google.com/site/hagler11sflightcommander2site/home

Edited by Blazing 88's

I really like WITPAE - but it takes a looong time to play since it features every ship that ever existed in the Pacific Theatre as well as every squadron and ground unit AND you can control each side's industry and production of every weapons system - vital if you play the Japs.

The frustrating thing is that I also have all the good hardware controls from Thrustmaster, but since CM2, no time to get into all the great flight sims stacked up here.