Illustrated Vignettes

CMFB : Das Comic!

Great work Bil. The story is thrilling and the art is convincing, must have been so much time consuming! The vignette format is nice by the way.

You realize than you are just making us want more, right? ;)

Edit : what font is that by the way, if you don't mind asking?

Edited by CMFDR

Bill,

Superb! Very immersive.  The "Bog" reference confused me no end, until I subsequently read what it was. Unfortunately, there's a problem, The M10 doesn't have one, because there's no bow MG mount whatsoever. In order to aid your wonderful work, may I present FM 18-15 Tank Destroyer Drill and Crew Drill? This is the complete how to for the M10, the M18 and the M5 3-Inch ATG.

http://www.easy39th.com/files/FM_18-15_Tank_Destroyer_Drill_and_Crew_Drill_1943.pdf

And in your honor, here's your eponymous song!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Bill,

Superb! Very immersive.  The "Bog" reference confused me no end, until I subsequently read what it was. Unfortunately, there's a problem, The M10 doesn't have one, because there's no bow MG mount whatsoever. In order to aid your wonderful work, may I present FM 18-15 Tank Destroyer Drill and Crew Drill? This is the complete how to for the M10, the M18 and the M5 3-Inch ATG.

http://www.easy39th.com/files/FM_18-15_Tank_Destroyer_Drill_and_Crew_Drill_1943.pdf

Great website you got there John, amazing source of WW2 manuals there, thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Bill,

John Kettler

Dammit John, where were you when I was putting this together? ;)  I will make an edit to fix the error.  I appreciate it!

Bil

CMFDR,

It is indeed a treasure trove, one for which you are most welcome. HyperWar is an excellent resource with gobs of goodies and links to untold riches of info. For tank destroyers, I know of nothing like www.tankdestroyer.net. The site is run by the son of a TD man and has all the relevant manuals, unit histories, pics and all sorts of juicy reports covering many months each. 

Bil,

What a shame you didn't submit it first to me for prepublication review!( I refuse to use a tee hee emoticon.) You're quite welcome for the fact checking, and I look forward to seeing your full TD groggery on display ere long. Speaking of such, you may may find this of real interest, despite tragically poor quality and an unfortunate lack of hearing the various commands.

And for the cherry on top, take a gander at this restored color film of TD training at Ft. Hood. Though a great deal is shown about simply training the men for war individually, there also grueling courses for groups, including crawling under barbed wire while very real and lethal bullets zip past, barely over the heads of those belly crawling. There is firing practice on sleeves and, live ammo vs, so help me, "Nazi" Shermans! How M10s fight in an integrated manner at platoon levels is there (hides, recce, movement to preplanned firing positions, repositioning, together with great shots of the halftrack 75 and (trumpets blare) firing footage of the M5 3-Inch Gun! 

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks John, I'll review those movies tonight.  Next time I'll send it to you for a quick QA pass. ;) 

By the way, this was actually meant to be part of a complete graphic novel (King of the HIll was chapter 5), but I was finding the other chapters to be less than compelling.. so I think I'll practice with these stand-alone stories and maybe eventually do a complete Graphic Novel.  In the meantime I leave that arena to Bud's magnificent work.

I am working up a behind the scenes post to my blog in case anybody is interested.  That will also be where I will be hosting any future illustrated stories.

7 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Bil,

What a shame you didn't submit it first to me for prepublication review!( I refuse to use a tee hee emoticon.) You're quite welcome for the fact checking, and I look forward to seeing your full TD groggery on display ere long. ...

Regards,

John Kettler

On April 25, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Bil Hardenberger said:

By the way, this was actually meant to be part of a complete graphic novel (King of the HIll was chapter 5), but I was finding the other chapters to be less than compelling..

Speaking from experience, it's quite hard at times to come up with a full tale from any given battle. Your vignettes idea is brilliant because you tell a story, just a short one that lets you pick what inspires you most. Great idea! 

On April 25, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Bil Hardenberger said:

I am working up a behind the scenes post to my blog in case anybody is interested. 

I'm quite eager for this, Bil! 

9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I can't help but think that The Rabid Otters would've been a great name for a punk band. 

Haha. I've never thought of that.  Happens to be some of my favorite music.  Well the older punk bands like Bouncing Souls, Bad Religion, NOFX, Adolescents...  Not sure how the punk music is today.

Edited by RabidOtters

Very nice Bill.

I definitely agree: short stories covering a finite little 'action' are a lot easier to create and satisfactorily complete  than an ongoing narrative (and it means you can complete it in a finite 'real-time', rather than having a long term story that chew away at your time for weeks (or more!).