Combat Mission: TTP

On Tactical Decision-Making, a dynamic visual illustration might help to grasp the concepts. I agree that it's already covered in many article, however video could be a medium of choice to demonstrate in situ how it actually works.

Individual Leadership is a tough one, my interpretation of it in CM context would be to understand when to let the ingame's tac AI do its thing (aka  Leaving the how to do it up to the subordinate) and when not to, for example when to give more sophisticated order of movement.

My 2 cents.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, SLIM said:

So this was my outline for Chapter One:

We've basically covered Part 1, 2, 3, and 6.

As far as Tactical Decision-Making goes, I honestly don't know if I should bother covering it. It is sort of an abstract concept, and not easily demonstrated without writing an entire novel about it. Do you guys really want me to bore you with flow charts?

Same as TDM, Individual Leadership is also an abstract concept, and not easily explained either. You could just look at the FM and read the army's definition:

1-15. Leadership at the Infantry platoon and squad level is comprised of three fundamental concepts: leadership by example, authority, and mission command. Leadership by example is simply and most powerfully expressed by the Infantry’s motto: Follow Me! Authority is the power to act. Mission command is the Army’s command philosophy that focuses on leaders telling subordinates what must be accomplished and why. Leaving the how to do it up to the subordinate.

Honestly, how do you make a video about that? I don't know!

Now, I figure our upcoming maneuver would be a good time to cover Part 7, and I do have an interesting plan to show that off, by showing simultaneously the same maneuver being performed under two entirely different conditions (day and night), so the audience can see the differences.

After our next maneuver demonstration, we'll move on to Chapter Two: Employing Fires.

That's going to be a lot of fun, because I'm going to shoehorn a ton of heavy on-map weapons into that one. So be patient, the anti-tank guns and howitzers are on the horizon! We'll also cover off-map artillery.

Any thoughts?

Infantry and vehicle recon. That's the next scenario I'm working on from the scenario I've sent you.

1 hour ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

Infantry and vehicle recon. That's the next scenario I'm working on from the scenario I've sent you.

That's a good topic, but I don't have that scheduled for quite a long time. Chapter 9 of the FM is 'Patrols and Patrolling' which covers reconnaissance.

Here's the list of topics I'm going with:

1. Fundamentals of Tactics (Almost Done)
  2. Employing Fires
  3. Tactical Movement
  4. Protection
  5. Command and Control
  6. Offensive Operations
  7. Defensive Operations
  8. Patrols and Patrolling

(I'm skipping Chapter 6, because logistical problems are outside the scale of Combat Mission.)

So, Chapter One is almost complete, we have just a few more topics to cover.

Chapter Two is going to be a short one, and almost entirely spent on the firing range. The FM Chapter boils down to 'use the right weapon for the job'.

Chapter Three is also going to be rather short. I'll show off some movement formations, and share some tips on how to avoid fatigue.

Chapter Four is still optional for me. A lot of the topics in the Field Manual are not modeled in Combat Mission.

(For example, fratricide isn't exactly a huge problem, because there's no real friendly fire, etc.)

Chapter Five will be a video illustration of the 'C2 Usage' thread here on the forums, showing how the C2 system works. Top to Bottom, Side to Side.

The final three chapters will be entirely focused on tactics, and operations planning. I'm also thinking of making some type of interactive lesson, like a 'choose your own adventure battle plan'. It would have to be really seriously tiny, but I think it could work. It will just take an excessive amount of time to execute, which is why I'm saving it for last.

6 hours ago, CMFDR said:

On Tactical Decision-Making, a dynamic visual illustration might help to grasp the concepts. I agree that it's already covered in many article, however video could be a medium of choice to demonstrate in situ how it actually works.

If I can come up with a demonstrable lesson plan, I'll give it a shot. But as a rule of thumb, I'd rather not attempt to teach the abstract, because the best I can do is give a subjective example. I'll keep it on the back burner and see what develops.

1 hour ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

Who do I talk to for the 29 percent???!!!! LOL! Excellent video Slim.

That is also my fault as well. :( Sort of.

2 minutes ago, SLIM said:

Here's the list of topics I'm going with:

1. Fundamentals of Tactics (Almost Done)
  2. Employing Fires
  3. Tactical Movement
  4. Protection
  5. Command and Control
  6. Offensive Operations
  7. Defensive Operations
  8. Patrols and Patrolling

(I'm skipping Chapter 6, because logistical problems are outside the scale of Combat Mission.)

So, Chapter One is almost complete, we have just a few more topics to cover.

Chapter Two is going to be a short one, and almost entirely spent on the firing range. The FM Chapter boils down to 'use the right weapon for the job'.

Chapter Three is also going to be rather short. I'll show off some movement formations, and share some tips on how to avoid fatigue.

Chapter Four is still optional for me. A lot of the topics in the Field Manual are not modeled in Combat Mission.

(For example, fratricide isn't exactly a huge problem, because there's no real friendly fire, etc.)

Chapter Five will be a video illustration of the 'C2 Usage' thread here on the forums, showing how the C2 system works. Top to Bottom, Side to Side.

The final three chapters will be entirely focused on tactics, and operations planning. I'm also thinking of making some type of interactive lesson, like a 'choose your own adventure battle plan'. It would have to be really seriously tiny, but I think it could work. It will just take an excessive amount of time to execute, which is why I'm saving it for last.

For Chapter 4 maybe a lesson on the different kinds of "cover" and "concealment" and their use in CM. I know concealment isn't really protection but in a sense I guess you could say it is because it's hard to shoot what you can't see (unless of course you do area fire). Chapters 6 thru 8 sound extremely interesting. I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

On 5/10/2016 at 0:30 AM, SLIM said:

<snipped>

1-15. Leadership at the Infantry platoon and squad level is comprised of three fundamental concepts: leadership by example, authority, and mission command. Leadership by example is simply and most powerfully expressed by the Infantry’s motto: Follow Me! Authority is the power to act. Mission command is the Army’s command philosophy that focuses on leaders telling subordinates what must be accomplished and why. Leaving the how to do it up to the subordinate.

Honestly, how do you make a video about that? I don't know!

<snipped>

Any thoughts?

@SLIM, I haven't had time to take a look at your latest efforts.  Will try to do so soon.  As always, thanks for doing these.

My thoughts on doing a CMBN leadership video would focus more on how leaders affect game play.  Easiest way, I suppose it to run a squad/platoon through the same task three ways.  First, without any leader.  Second with a -2 leader.  Third with a +2 leader.  This might show how leadership affects outcomes.  Having said "easiest way", I doubt that this is a simple task.  Would understand if you chose not to do it.  Thanks again.

18 hours ago, Badger73 said:

@SLIM, I haven't had time to take a look at your latest efforts.  Will try to do so soon.  As always, thanks for doing these.

My thoughts on doing a CMBN leadership video would focus more on how leaders affect game play.  Easiest way, I suppose it to run a squad/platoon through the same task three ways.  First, without any leader.  Second with a -2 leader.  Third with a +2 leader.  This might show how leadership affects outcomes.  Having said "easiest way", I doubt that this is a simple task.  Would understand if you chose not to do it.  Thanks again.

That's a good idea. I'll see if I can make something out of it.

Part 5b is still on the chopping block.

On 5/10/2016 at 11:49 PM, SLIM said:

Now presenting, Combat Mission: Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures; Chapter One, Part 5, Section A: The Machinegun.

<snipped>

Very nicely done!  I heard no whine in your audio.  I think its fine.  I like your building deployment and face command information very much.  I did not realize how that worked until you explained it so well, especially the German MG advantages there.  Fine job.  Good to go.  Thank you!

In the meantime, here's your homework assignment:

• Beaten Zone

The beaten zone is the elliptical pattern formed when the rounds strike the ground or target.
The size and shape of the beaten zone change as a function of the range to and slope of the target, but is normally oval or cigar shaped and the density of the rounds decreases toward the edges.
As the range to the target increases, the beaten zone becomes shorter and wider. Conversely, as the range to the target decreases, the beaten zone becomes longer and narrower.

• Danger Space

This is the space between the muzzle of the weapon and the target where the trajectory does not rise above 1.8 meters (the average height of a standing Soldier) that includes the beaten zone.
Gunners should consider the danger space of their weapons when planning overhead fires.

• Dead Space

Any fold or depression in the ground that prevents a target from being engaged from a fixed position is termed dead space.

• Grazing Fire

Automatic weapons achieve grazing fire when the center of the cone of fire does not rise more than 1 meter above the ground.
Grazing fire is employed in the final protective line (FPL) in defense and is only possible when the terrain is level or uniformly sloping.
Any dead space encountered along the FPL must be covered by indirect fire.

• Plunging Fire

Plunging fire occurs when there is little or no danger space from the muzzle of the weapon to the beaten zone.
It occurs when weapons fire at long range, when firing from high ground to low ground, when firing into abruptly rising ground, or when firing across uneven terrain, resulting in a loss of grazing fire at any point along the trajectory.

• Enfilade Fire

Enfilade fire occurs when the long axis of the beaten zone coincides or nearly coincides with the long axis of the target.
It can be frontal fire on an enemy column formation or flanking fire on an enemy line formation.
This is the most desirable class of fire with respect to the target because it makes maximum use of the beaten zone.
Leaders and gunners should always strive to position the guns to the extent possible that they can engage enemy targets with enfilade fire.

• Frontal Fire

Frontal fire occurs when the long axis of the beaten zone is at a right angle to the front of the target.
This type of fire is highly desirable when engaging a column formation.
It then becomes enfilade fire as the beaten zone coincides with the long axis of the target.
Frontal fire is not as desirable when engaging a line formation because the majority of the beaten zone normally falls below or after the enemy target.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I need to ask for some advice from the lot of you:

I had made my mind up to attempt to unify these TTP videos into a new format. The trouble is, while each of the concepts are very small when read on the page, to adequately explain them seems to take an excessive amount of time. Do you think it would be a hindrance to go into less detail , and thus cover broader strokes of the materiel at once, or is the focus on smaller details of more benefit to the audience?

Looking over the vast amount of potential materiel leads me to envision an endeavor that could potentially take years to complete (due to low production time), or I could simplify the content, expand each video to cover more of it, yet leave fine details by the wayside.

What say you?

What I have in mind for a new format is this:

• Scripted Narration, introducing each concept, and explaining it in detail.
  • Use of recorded gameplay to illustrate key points of narration.
  • Use of still images and text to outline key concepts.

Video #1 - The Infantry Squad
  • Supporting Weapons
  • Squad Level Tactics

Video #2 - The Infantry Platoon
  • Supporting Weapons
  • Platoon Level Tactics
  • Working with Armor

Video #3 - The Infantry Company
  • The Platoon as a Tactical Unit
  • Supporting Weapons
  • The Weapons Platoon, or Machine Gun Section
  • Company Level Tactics
  • Company Level Operations

Video #4 - The Infantry Battalion
  • Battalion Operations
  • Supporting Weapons
  • Combined Arms Operations

Video #5 - Mechanized Infantry
  • Differences in Employment
  • Comparison to Light Infantry
  • Working with Armor

Video #6 - Armor
  • The Role of the Tank
  • Tank Platoon Tactics
  • Armor Operations

Video #7 - Artillery
  • Types of Artillery
  • Large vs. Small
  • Calling for Fire
  • Terminal Effects

Video #8 - Air Support
  • Types of Aircraft
  • Weapon Effectiveness
  • Point Target vs. Area Target

So what I'm planning is to make each video less 'demonstrative' and more 'informative' which could allow me to make more effective use of my limited time. The big problem I had early on was I had started out to illustrate the Field Manual, rather than using the Field Manual to inform the Combat Mission player. I think this is a fundamental flaw in my efforts to produce this video series. Let me know what you think.

Edited by SLIM

SLIM,

It was purely a fluke I noticed this (get over here seldom and didn't know what TPP stood for), and my comments apply solely to the second iteration of the first video. I think and feel what you've done is quite valuable. I wholly concur with Bulletpoint on the music issue. The later stuff didn't really affect me much, but that first song was a huge distraction because it was catchy, was something I'd never heard and was martial, too. Killed my attention to the text. If you've got a link to the song, please post it. I like your titles and LOVE that the pan is slow enough it doesn't break my brain. More generally, it helps effectively show the situation. At 1:27 and for a few seconds later,  it looks like there is an imminent friendly fire incident. Scary to see. And I say this from the perspective of someone who had his hair practically parted by a bullet because I had no idea someone was behind me on the creek bank who then fired as I started to rise to reload. Your point about concentrating fire only where it matters is well made, and I like the clear, concise way you present information to the viewers. I found the failed advance looked less like an attack and more like just movement without any real combat purpose. The short strings of men put that advance into a mode in which observation and firepower both plummeted relative to the combat line. This leads me to suggest it may be necessary to issue individual movement orders in order to prevent turning the men into helpless targets. I hope in later videos you show advance by rushes. I know someone who did just that vs an MG in Iraq as a Marine. Must've been quite the sight to see a 6' 10" tall guy built like Larry Bird do that maneuver!  Naturally, I'm now going to have to read and watch my way through the entire thread. Doubtless I'll be a better player as a result. Did find it a bit odd you used a current manual coupled with WW II infantry. Overall I believe your efforts will be of real benefit not just to newbies but to those of us who've been in this for quite some time.

Regards,

John Kettler

13 hours ago, SLIM said:

So what I'm planning is to make each video less 'demonstrative' and more 'informative' which could allow me to make more effective use of my limited time. The big problem I had early on was I had started out to illustrate the Field Manual, rather than using the Field Manual to inform the Combat Mission player. I think this is a fundamental flaw in my efforts to produce this video series. Let me know what you think.

Reading your initial paragraph I was concerned but your outlines look great and your explanation above seems spot on.  Sounds like a good plan.

14 hours ago, SLIM said:

What I have in mind for a new format is this:

• Scripted Narration, introducing each concept, and explaining it in detail.
  • Use of recorded gameplay to illustrate key points of narration.
  • Use of still images and text to outline key concepts.

<snipped>

You can't be all things to all players.  State up front that your video's assume the viewer knows the basics; basic tactics and basic game play.  Then let your new format focus on "show & tell" for the concepts you propose.  When you conclude the video, consider adding a still frame at the end that says, "And for new players who want help understanding the basics, hit the 'pause' button and make note of these references here".  Then list whatever source materials you think any newbies could use; FM numbers, military science URL's, youtube links, etc.

I like your new format proposal.  As @c3k says, show us one.  I'm sure you'll receive only profound and  priceless feedback.  :ph34r:

This is a great project.  Kudos to you.  I wish you well and fully support this.

14 hours ago, SLIM said:

<Snip> So what I'm planning is to make each video less 'demonstrative' and more 'informative' which could allow me to make more effective use of my limited time. The big problem I had early on was I had started out to illustrate the Field Manual, rather than using the Field Manual to inform the Combat Mission player. I think this is a fundamental flaw in my efforts to produce this video series. Let me know what you think.

This sounds good.  You might also encourage people to ask follow up questions.  So if anybody wants more detail on something hopefully they will ask. Then their questions will cause other people to answer adding more experiences and knowledge to the discussion.   

SLIM,

My first comment is personal. In watching these videos, and learning how you handle your troops, I marvel you didn't whup me outright and early in our unfortunately broken off fight in Holland. As you saw when we clashed, I'm a big believer in massing overwhelming fires on one target until it's neutralized. Sometimes, though, that isn't possible, and I have to dilute the hammering a bit. The music is much better handled. the video in which you switched from captions only to you explaining things was valuable but jarring, too. Felt as though I'd changed realities abruptly. Definitely prefer the captioned approach. One less set of information to have to integrate. The frontal assault video was quite illuminating, but I felt the attackers had highly advantageous terrain: significant woods and a whole series of walls parallel to the foe. Would've been a whole lot more exciting without them! Pretty cool to see the men on line at the wall and firing away. Shall return to this thread later. Am sending brother George the link so he can take in all this wonderful material and use it in Bolt Action, not to mention his keen interest in low level ground combat.

Regards,

John Kettler

This is a great refresher even for us old-timers. 

One question regarding the part about moving an HMG in a building.  I thought that in CM2 (thanks to a patch), when moving a support weapon a short distance, that the unit does NOT have to undeploy and then redeploy (taking many minutes).  ie: it simulates picking up the entire deployed equipment and carrying it a dozen feet and plunking it down again for immediate use.