Combat Mission: TTP

In the first video, I found it a little difficult to read the text and watch the video at the same time. Same effect as with sub-titles on TV, One always fears to miss something. For me a slide, explaining what I am going to see, and then the video clip as illustration would probably work better.

I, too, liked the stats in the second video, but the "stat slides" made the video very "slow". To say it a little provocatively: An Excell table would have been sufficient for the content. Perhaps, you can shorten the time for each slide a little.

One other thought: Do you know the videos, which Jeffery Paulding made for the Armchair General back in 2012? What you intend to do seems to be quite similar to what he did, probably you are a little more on the detailed side.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the first video, I found it a little difficult to read the text and watch the video at the same time. Same effect as with sub-titles on TV, One always fears to miss something. For me a slide, explaining what I am going to see, and then the video clip as illustration would probably work better.

I would do slides, but that would make the video run time longer. If I don't police myself every video will be an hour long. I'm hoping to get a real microphone soon, that would enable me to record an audio commentary, and stop using most captions.

I, too, liked the stats in the second video, but the "stat slides" made the video very "slow". To say it a little provocatively: An Excell table would have been sufficient for the content. Perhaps, you can shorten the time for each slide a little.

I want to leave enough time for the audience to read each table. Some people read faster or slower than others, usually I time myself while I read each caption aloud, then add a couple seconds.

One other thought: Do you know the videos, which Jeffery Paulding made for the Armchair General back in 2012? What you intend to do seems to be quite similar to what he did, probably you are a little more on the detailed side.

I do know those videos, they actually start off the playlist I'm building for the TTP:

Combat Mission - Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures

Edited by SLIM

Here's Part 2, an analysis of the structure, and components of firepower for rifle platoons. My planned video ended up running much longer than I expected, so there will be several parts to this section.

The video will stay unlisted until some feedback comes in.

SLIM,  I get "This video has been removed by the user".  Seems I missed the review window.  Let us know when Part 2 rev2 is ready to play.  Thank you for doing these.

Edited by Badger73

Chapter One and Part 2 text stays at least 5 seconds too long. Try to read it. And if possible add few zoomed close ups from different camera.

But otherwise it's Bil academy standards :)

Fantastic material, Slim.

Yes and yes.  No other thoughts, otherwise it is good to go.  Well done and thank you.

Very nice like-to-like comparisons.  Am very glad you chose not to compare .45 to 9mm ballistics!

• 1 month later...

SLIM, I wanted to thank you for the effort and thought you put into the two videos you've made so far. Excellent stuff, good take-aways on comparative firepower, and straightforward explanations. Awesome, I really hope you keep at it and make more. 

Once I get my last batch of War Thunder videos posted, I'll be making another TTP video, and another Road to Montebourg video.

I've got a few too many projects on my plate at the moment, thanks for stopping by.

Okay, I have the next video on the chopping block right now, and I'm going to post the rough cut for your viewing pleasure sometime tomorrow. I look forward to comments, etc. to get things tightened up before it goes public.

This next part will be longer than the previous two, right now it clocks in at about 36 minutes. Doing a voice-over gave me the ability to pack a lot more information, and also a lot more content into a video. This one will show ways to split your US, Brit, and German squads for maximum effect.

Once everything is uploaded I'll post it here.

This is the unlisted rough cut of the next video. Missing are title cards, and information panels.

Once again, comments and criticisms are necessary so I can tighten things up and prepare for public release.

@SLIM, okay here's mine.

1)  The SNAFU around 5:00 minutes was distracting.  Can you edit out minutes 5:00-5:30 instead?
2)  Shorter and Sweeter:  Consider three (3) shorter video's (Lessons 3a, 3b, and 3c) instead of one lesson lasting almost 30 minutes.
- CM TTP 3A = Split Squads, Allied forces.  The first 16:30 minutes
- CM TTP 3B = Split Squads, Germand forces.  Minutes 16:30 to 23:00.
- CM TTP 3C = Split Squads, comparisons & conclusions.  Final 4 minutes

The presentation is informative and excellent.  Smaller doses of it provide better replay and opportunities to enhance with additional emphasis.  Thank you for doing these!

This is my intended final cut for part 3A.

I removed redundant statements, any dead air longer than a few seconds, and added title cards and introduction.

The second half will have the German Squads, and conclusion. If it passes muster, I'll make this public, and post the second half.

This is my intended final cut for part 3A.  

Looks good Slim.  For the US I wish there was a way to leave the binoculars with the base of fire team instead of having them go with the grenades and Thompson in the assault team.  The base of fire / overwatch team would probably get better use of them.  

Looks good Slim.  For the US I wish there was a way to leave the binoculars with the base of fire team instead of having them go with the grenades and Thompson in the assault team.  The base of fire / overwatch team would probably get better use of them.

I'm with you on that one, but splitting the first Assault Team as a dedicated observation Team is the best workaround you'll get.

It does work well, stick that 4 man Squad Leader Team into good cover with a short cover arc, and just let them observe and report.