Combat Mission: TTP

Yup.  You did say, "Stay frosty".  Maibock is a style of beer, a "May Beer" traditionally brewed for spring and Easter.  There's an embarrassment of riches for the plethora of craft brew choices available now.  I was drinking Schell's (New Ulm, MN) "Maifest".  'Twar good!  Went very well with your lessons of war.  Thankee agin'.

Oh you lucky ******* !
Maibock is wonderful, but ironically (since we're closer to Germany than the States), bock is incredibly hard to find in the UK.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Maibock is a style of beer, a "May Beer" traditionally brewed for spring and Easter.  There's an embarrassment of riches for the plethora of craft brew choices available now.  I was drinking Schell's (New Ulm, MN) "Maifest".  'Twar good!  Went very well with your lessons of war.  Thankee agin'.

That sounds delicious! I'll have to pick up something. Deep in Samuel Adams territory here, lots of deliciousness available.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, Ivan Zaitzev said:

Amazing videos, just watched all in one go. I would love to see a video on mortars, specially direct fire mortars, because I always struggle with those.

Thanks!

That will be coming up in the discussion about supporting weapons. Thanks for watching!

I'm still trying to get some time to re-record part 4. Hopefully today I can get some done.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JanMasterson said:

Silly question SLIM : are the maps you are using in your vids available somewhere, especially the firing range? I would like to experiment things a bit and your playgrounds are just perfect for that.

Well, you can make your own firing range in the editor in about 10 minutes. Start with a flat, open, map. Mark off distances by counting action spots, then paint in sloping elevation. That being said, I could give my firing range a workover and post it up on the repository. I know lots of people make them for personal use, but I've never seen one publicly released.

If I have some extra time this week, I'll put one together.

The map with the river in it is a modified version of a Quick Battle map, Town-Water-Damaged (1408 X 1152) 015 Meet. You can find it in the Quick Battle Maps section of your Game Files folder in the Data directory.

Now here's a general announcement:

I know I said I'd re-release part 4, but I don't have the time to re-record everything. I've got some family stuff coming up, so I need to hold off on any huge projects.

Badger, your feedback will definitely be included in the next maneuver section. But first I'm going to do a video on supporting weapons, HMG's, Mortars, Bazookas, etc.

7 hours ago, SLIM said:

I know I said I'd re-release part 4, but I don't have the time to re-record everything. I've got some family stuff coming up, so I need to hold off on any huge projects.

Badger, your feedback will definitely be included in the next maneuver section. But first I'm going to do a video on supporting weapons, HMG's, Mortars, Bazookas, etc.

You prioritized your efforts correctly.  Rapid fire tracers and violent explosions are a lot more fun than crawling forwards . . . . B)

14 hours ago, SLIM said:

Well, you can make your own firing range in the editor in about 10 minutes. Start with a flat, open, map. Mark off distances by counting action spots, then paint in sloping elevation. That being said, I could give my firing range a workover and post it up on the repository. I know lots of people make them for personal use, but I've never seen one publicly released.

If I have some extra time this week, I'll put one together.

The map with the river in it is a modified version of a Quick Battle map, Town-Water-Damaged (1408 X 1152) 015 Meet. You can find it in the Quick Battle Maps section of your Game Files folder in the Data directory.

Roger that SLIM, it could be an opportunity for a first map but, as you said, there's no handy firing range available around and yours may still help players.

14 hours ago, SLIM said:

Ho yeah! While it may sound obvious to seasoned wargamers, how not to waste your supports and manage to put them in position without being destroyed themselves first would definitely be something valuable to learn.

looking forward to both of your time hungry material ;)

On 4/4/2016 at 1:16 PM, SLIM said:

I'm sure it's in front of my nose and I keep looking left and right of it but I'll be darned if I can find this map in my CMBN data folder. Slim any chance you can PM me the .btt file for that map?

1 minute ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

I'm sure it's in front of my nose and I keep looking left and right of it but I'll be darned if I can find this map in my CMBN data folder. Slim any chance you can PM me the .btt file for that map?

You can get it right here:

The map in question is included in MarkEzra's map pack, the download link is still active.

1 hour ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

I should have prefaced my post to acknowledge your family commitments. Forgive my eagerness to learn more. B)

Forgiven. It's not so much family commitments as simple time + motivation + other projects = very slow production rate.

38 minutes ago, SLIM said:

You can get it right here:

The map in question is included in MarkEzra's map pack, the download link is still active.

Forgiven. It's not so much family commitments as simple time + motivation + other projects = very slow production rate.

Thanks for the links. And trust me in that I can relate to slow production rate. Part time job helps with the time aspect but it's the motivation that I have to constantly work on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now presenting, Combat Mission: Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures; Chapter One, Part 5, Section A: The Machinegun.

I do apologize for the delay, it is 71% my fault.

The next part should come rather quickly though, I'm not doing much voice recording for it. I'll just need to find some sweet graphics.

EDIT: I just realized I need to update my thumbnail.

Edited by SLIM

So this was my outline for Chapter One:

19 minutes ago, SLIM said:

Chapter One - Fundamentals of Tactics

Part 1 - Tactical Maneuver: Fire without movement is indecisive. Exposed movement without fire is disastrous. There must be effective fire combined with skillful movement.
(Completed)

Part 2 - Advantage: Seek every opportunity to exploit your strengths while preventing the enemy from exploiting his own strengths.
(Completed)

Part 3 - Combinations: The power of combination creates dilemmas that fix the enemy, overwhelming his ability to react while protecting your own internal weaknesses.
(Completed)

Part 4 - Tactical Decisionmaking: Close combat demands flexible tactics, quick decisions, and swift maneuvers to create a tempo that overwhelms the enemy.
(Display the Tactical Decision-Making Process. Plan a movement, Prepare the ground with fires and smoke, Execute the movement, Asess the effectiveness and result of the movement.)

Part 5 - Individual Leadership: Resolute action by a few determined men is often decisive.
(?)

Part 6 - Combat Power: The ability of a unit to fight.
(Examine the weapons available to the Rifle Platoon, and give examples of their use.)

Part 7 - Situation: Every military situation is unique and must be solved on its own merits.
(Show the same maneuver being performed in daylight, and nighttime with fog.)

We've basically covered Part 1, 2, 3, and 6.

As far as Tactical Decision-Making goes, I honestly don't know if I should bother covering it. It is sort of an abstract concept, and not easily demonstrated without writing an entire novel about it. Do you guys really want me to bore you with flow charts?

Same as TDM, Individual Leadership is also an abstract concept, and not easily explained either. You could just look at the FM and read the army's definition:

1-15. Leadership at the Infantry platoon and squad level is comprised of three fundamental concepts: leadership by example, authority, and mission command. Leadership by example is simply and most powerfully expressed by the Infantry’s motto: Follow Me! Authority is the power to act. Mission command is the Army’s command philosophy that focuses on leaders telling subordinates what must be accomplished and why. Leaving the how to do it up to the subordinate.

Honestly, how do you make a video about that? I don't know!

Now, I figure our upcoming maneuver would be a good time to cover Part 7, and I do have an interesting plan to show that off, by showing simultaneously the same maneuver being performed under two entirely different conditions (day and night), so the audience can see the differences.

After our next maneuver demonstration, we'll move on to Chapter Two: Employing Fires.

That's going to be a lot of fun, because I'm going to shoehorn a ton of heavy on-map weapons into that one. So be patient, the anti-tank guns and howitzers are on the horizon! We'll also cover off-map artillery.

Any thoughts?