CMRT WInter Mod thinktank

Work in Progress so far. Will be geared towards H2H.

Early December 1943, the Winter of 1943 has just arrived on the 1st Ukrainian Front; the deep freeze has hardened the ground and has made maneuvering for both sides far easier. The Russians having taken Kiev in November, the Germans have launched into a series of desperate counterattacks. In this sector however, the Russian assault continues to drive towards cutting Army Group South off from Center. 

Somewhere near Zhitomir, a Russian assault group is tasked with cutting the Rail-line that sits near some no-name Hamlet. Both sides have thrown in heavy reinforcing firepower to achieve their objectives. Both sides are highly motivated as well, the Germans realize the danger of the closing jaws and have no wish to be encircled, while the 1st Ukrainian Front are buoyed by their success in taking Kiev so swiftly and resisting German efforts to retake it. The high motivation of troops on both sides, coupled with above average indirect fire support (both sides have at least 2 batteries) in such a small space will likely result in a costly effort.

@Rinaldi

I noticed that some of those ground CMFI GL textures make snow look too dark in morning and afternoon settings.

You can try CMRT Winter Mod War Movie ADVANCED TERRAIN pack from (until it goes live on cmmmods): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6wdug2pzj4842ll/AADTsX5G20iHBTGGU8yybJs1a?dl=0

It will make snow and terrain look more white even without using Alt-M mode. 

Thanks for involvement

CMRT Winter Mod QB Project:

I have several testers enjoying CMRT Winter Mod Quick Battles against the AI and human opponents. PM me if you want to be a tester.

Since the QB system does not accept modtags I advise an entire separate install for just fighting Quick Battles.

Luckily this is merely a quick 5 minute copy and paste of the Program Files (x86) Red Thunder folder and a rename and a creation of a new desktop shortcut and a swap of snowy looking icon so you don't get confused. Courtesy of BarbaricCo, we even have UI screens that up in the upper left have a cool "QB" stamp in an interesting red font.

The mods in the z folder of this install are special files renamed without modtags and change the default of the terrain appearance so when you fire up a QB, each and every map looks like a winter wonderland. The same with the infantry forces: Greatcoats, gloves and galoshes! We are adding in winter camo vehicles at a steady clip. 

The testers are assigned to provide inputs toward "tips for the best CMRT Winter Mod QB experience"

Edited by kohlenklau

Panzer IV's! I am slowly getting there. By the time the actual module comes out, I might be done! :D

I am trying to go for a late 42 look where they still had that panzer grey color as the base and then got the crisis alert to head east.

They masked around the crosses and markings when they whitewashed the vehicles.

PzIVhLate_zpsmbj0mdnm.jpg

Thanks Jacob. I struggle to turn my mental image of what I want it to look like into the actual final result...

Do you want to mod a vehicle? I can set you up with some free tools.

Not really, Kohlenklau. Haven't got the skill for it, I'm afraid. I'm using your winter mod now, but not for the vehicles. I like it better that way for the moment. Snow has just fallen and winter sets in. So early winter at the eastern front. :) But perhaps sooner or later I will try my luck with modding on the pine trees and make them more snowy.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Playtesting of the scenario has begun, I'm hoping I won't need to make many gameplay tweaks; I'm designing it so that its heavily challenging for the Allied player, so we'll see.

SwUCBRo.jpg

Strong winter winds frustrate the Soviet fires-plan, and blows much of the smoke back towards their own lines.

pyXFq3R.jpg

Regardless the assault begins. The company group was reinforced with several more Maxim MGs, and one can be seen here covering the infantry. 

I've been off the CMRT forum for awhile and have (to my embarrassment) just taken the time to look at this thread.

HOLY BABOLEY!

This looks phenomenal!

Alas, I won't have time to download it for a number of days, but man, am I looking forward to seeing this in-game.

Thank you soooo much for your work on this project!

:DALL the roofs done? Wow. OK, at a euro a roof, this is getting way too costly Stjepan! Sorry, you must delete them. :D

Only two totally crazy men will do this again. 

Wait!

How many roofs there was at a time in Eastern Europe and Soviet Union? :D

And there is one guy driving me nuts. He keep resisting snow and clean his roof all the time. Look at the right lower corner of the second picture. :( 

Hi,

yup.. really superb stuff..

Adds a tremendous amount. Thanks to all involved.

Incredibly lucky to have CM, in a league all its own. Just think Steve and Charles all those years ago might really have developed Space Lobsters instead of CM ;). CM being such high quality then attracts above quality talent that gives us above mods :).

All the best,

Kip.