Thinking about getting Black Sea or Red Thunder

Zemke

I guess Shock Force does not have it.  All the units I look at just have what they are doing, or status, spotting, casualty, no list of kills.

I just tried the demo, and that doesn't. As you say, it's just the "current action" detail as you get while the game is in progress. Looks like it was an improvement brought in for all the subsequent families.

Well I broke down and got Black Sea, as did a friend of mine.  We used to play CM1 TCIP and PBEM all the time.  So far I like the game a lot.  This is the first title I have purchased of CM since Shock Force, and I must say I think Battle Front has got this pretty close for a tactical game, nice work.

I took the online name "Zemke" back in the 90s because I had heard not to use your real name, so wanting something "secure", I sat there thinking about what to use, and on my desk was the book "Zemke's Wolfpack", and I thought, "hey Zemke is different, I will use that."  So it came to be.

Zemke,

The first answer is this: You just did by putting your desire for a game out there for us all to see, but there's a more formal way. I give you...

The Opponent Finder

http://community.battlefront.com/forum/60-english/

If I could ensure my computer would work consistently and already had my replacement CMBN game arrangements sorted out with SLIM (and felt better than I do now), I'd gladly accommodate your request. When the computer cooperates and I have something resembling a brain online, then I know I can handle two fights at once. Plan on fighting me--soonish, I hope! May I recommend you start Tiny in QBs and with one man silhouette displayed if playing a battle?

Regards,

John Kettler

"Well I broke down and got Black Sea, as did a friend of mine."

Woo hoo! Congrats and have fun.

Being an old CMSF player, you should still have some remaining 'muscle memory' on how to manhandle the game so the initial learning curve is far behind you. Don't forget 'spacebar' brings up the all-important menu!  :)

Thanks John, you seem very gracious.

I have been playing like crazy since I got the game, played 5 scenarios, many QBs, started the Russian campaign, and designed two small and quick scenarios, (although I cannot get printscr to work, so I only have text briefings, and started making two of the QB maps larger.  Like I said at the start of this thread, I started messing around with Shock Force again after updating it with all the latest patches and was impressed with how much it had improved over time, so I decided to get this.  So far I love this game!

I have been playing like crazy since I got the game, played 5 scenarios, many QBs, started the Russian campaign, and designed two small and quick scenarios, (although I cannot get printscr to work, so I only have text briefings, and started making two of the QB maps larger.  Like I said at the start of this thread, I started messing around with Shock Force again after updating it with all the latest patches and was impressed with how much it had improved over time, so I decided to get this.  So far I love this game!

Excellent, nice.  Print screen does not work.  Check out http://www.fraps.com/(which does not support windows 8 and 10 currently but it still works capturing game screens just now regular windows screens).  Also if you have an NVidia card Shadow play is supposed to work (I personally have not tried it).

Hi mate!

Its been a long time since we spoke, glad to see your still playing.  I've recently come back to it myself, been playing CMRT this past few weeks and was toying with getting Black Sea but not sure if I want to return to modern warfare for many reasons.

Geordie

My suggestion is that if you run a Mac, wait until they fix it.

Although you could be waiting a long time, they never did fix the 81% bug in Shock Force.

Still hoping for this. Although for me it was 36%.

Red Thunder seems to work well on my Mac though. Hoping the next OSX update doesn't break it, or whatever happened with CMSF.

Still hoping for this. Although for me it was 36%.

Red Thunder seems to work well on my Mac though. Hoping the next OSX update doesn't break it, or whatever happened with CMSF.

Shock Force was placed into the "unsupported" category years ago.  There will be no patches for CMSF ever again.  I don't even think we could get the code to compile even if we wanted a fix.  When we went back to fix the CMx1 Vista problem it took something like 2 months IIRC to get the code working again and almost no time to figure out how to fix the Vista issue.  Which is why we charge money for the Vista fix.

If a MacOS version kills Shock Force completely the solution for us is to stop selling it, just like we no longer sell CMx1 games for the Mac because they don't work on OSX and that's what everybody uses.

Now, contrast this with CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMBS, and future releases. They are all supported, including CMBN which was first released 4 years ago.  If there is an OS problem that crops up in the future, be it Mac or Windows, we will fix it.  Not for previous versions (currently v1 and v2), obviously.  The across the board support was made possible by the code changes made after Shock Force and Afghanistan, which is why those two are exceptions.

Sadly, at some point all software stops working.  I'm still using OS 10.6.8 every single day because I have a couple thousand Dollars worth of software that will not run on even 10.7.  I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet this year.  Blah.

Steve

Shock Force was placed into the "unsupported" category years ago.  There will be no patches for CMSF ever again.  I don't even think we could get the code to compile even if we wanted a fix.  When we went back to fix the CMx1 Vista problem it took something like 2 months IIRC to get the code working again and almost no time to figure out how to fix the Vista issue.  Which is why we charge money for the Vista fix.

If a MacOS version kills Shock Force completely the solution for us is to stop selling it, just like we no longer sell CMx1 games for the Mac because they don't work on OSX and that's what everybody uses.

Now, contrast this with CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMBS, and future releases. They are all supported, including CMBN which was first released 4 years ago.  If there is an OS problem that crops up in the future, be it Mac or Windows, we will fix it.  Not for previous versions (currently v1 and v2), obviously.  The across the board support was made possible by the code changes made after Shock Force and Afghanistan, which is why those two are exceptions.

Sadly, at some point all software stops working.  I'm still using OS 10.6.8 every single day because I have a couple thousand Dollars worth of software that will not run on even 10.7.  I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet this year.  Blah.

Steve

In unrelated news, BFC announces price hikes to all products. ;)

I understand, for the most part.

It's just frustrating that small and tiny scenarios work, and that the problem is specifically and consistently at 36%. Is there a way to see what is supposed to be loading at that percent and change it?

Just so I don't come off as a complainer, I picked up a windows version of the Marines bundle, and even with Parallels, VM Ware, and Wine it runs into the same issue, which I find really interesting. I haven't tried Boot Camp yet, though.

I caved and picked up my copy of Black Sea today. I guess I missed BTRs that much.

I understand, for the most part.

It's just frustrating that small and tiny scenarios work, and that the problem is specifically and consistently at 36%. Is there a way to see what is supposed to be loading at that percent and change it?

Just so I don't come off as a complainer, I picked up a windows version of the Marines bundle, and even with Parallels, VM Ware, and Wine it runs into the same issue, which I find really interesting. I haven't tried Boot Camp yet, though.

I caved and picked up my copy of Black Sea today. I guess I missed BTRs that much.

CMx2 won't run in a virtualised environment, I think. My recollection is that it says as much in the manual.

Is there a way to see what is supposed to be loading at that percent and change it?

Question, meet answer :D

Shock Force was placed into the "unsupported" category years ago.  There will be no patches for CMSF ever again.  I don't even think we could get the code to compile even if we wanted a fix. 

CMx2 won't run in a virtualised environment, I think. My recollection is that it says as much in the manual.

I can vouch for the Mac version not running in a VMWare machine on my Windows box.  And the windows version does not  run if I have my process debugging tools running. I do not know if book camp is some how special but I doubt it.

Edited by IanL
missing negative