Contiinued LOF glitch

OK guys, I posted this topic on Jul 15th and so far I have seen two viable explanations:

1.  in set up mode, the game does not acknowledge sighting limitations such as darkness and/or weather, and that only when the game starts are these limitations "added in"

2.  As you are setting up, time goes on within the game. So if you are starting an early morning scenario in semi-darkness (normally poor LOS) and it takes you two hours to set up and site in your forces, two hours in game time progress as well, so that you now have good LOS/LOF. But when you start the game, it goes back to original starting time and poor LOS/LOF

I am surprised that I have not yet received a concrete answer from the community or the developers on this issue. And I remain, puzzled.

Thanks Vanir.  I can't even guess why that is allowed to happen

I have to concur. It's surely more code to have the "sidereal time" advance in the setup phase and not in any subsequent orders phase, or while the game is paused, and serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

I would guess that time has to flow in setup to allow for soldiers to move around, e.g. adjust facing, deploy heavy weapons, button/unbutton.

Perhaps it is possible to adjust it so that the sun doesn't change position with time during setup but I have no idea how difficult it might be.

I would guess that time has to flow in setup to allow for soldiers to move around, e.g. adjust facing, deploy heavy weapons, button/unbutton.

Perhaps it is possible to adjust it so that the sun doesn't change position with time during setup but I have no idea how difficult it might be.

That's the right answer, as far as I know. The environment is "persistent", and that means time moves on. I have forwarded the observation that sometimes some people run into some problems with it being the way that it is. Is it a major problem? No, because...

As I see it, it's just a little trivial bug that hasn't been fixed yet because the developers are probably not even aware it exists.

This :D And if we aren't aware of it after 8 years of active development there can only be one reasonable explanation... it's not a significant issue. If it was, we'd have known about it much sooner. If it was a massive, major, horrible thing we would have known about it a very long time ago.

This does not mean there isn't room for improvement here, just that the issue needs to be kept in its proper perspective.

Steve

It's not the first time this has come up. And no, it's not the first time it's come up in relation to setting up defensive positions during times of significantly-changing lighting conditions, either. Most of the time it's, as you say, not a huge problem: just save and reload, but it's given people grief in the past. 

It's not the first time this has come up. And no, it's not the first time it's come up in relation to setting up defensive positions during times of significantly-changing lighting conditions, either. Most of the time it's, as you say, not a huge problem: just save and reload, but it's given people grief in the past. 

Agree 100%   I am sure this has come up before, but also under other thread topics because no one was sure what was going on with this LOS/LOF bug. This is a huge problem for any battle that takes place (especially for the defender) where time progresses through a light/dark time frame of day.  If one cannot properly plan a defensive battle, then what's the point?

Sighting and how it functions has always been poor compared to real world standards.

It was very frustrating to me when I bought CMBN, Now I have been playing so long I just don't care any more.

But I sure don't waste my time doing anything like you just mentioned. Because there is no chance of any guarantees as to what the game will give you as to units spotting.

I just set up the units to what visually looks like will work and then start getting into it once the game is actually running.

On defense, I will start checking units to see where they can now actually fire and set cover arcs to coordinate with each other, but all this only after the game is running. So that tells you what I think of set up phase spotting.

On offence I don't trust way point spotting much either. I normally send a scout unit to every important location first to make sure what they see before I waste time sending main units when ever I have the ability to do so.

But hoping for BF to give some major love to this at this point in the engine design is not likely to happen or fix how it basically works.

I still see armor running out in the open in plain sight not getting spotted outside the magic spotting window of 7 seconds that the game runs and think Really, can you explain that invisibility with any real WORLD EVENTS. No, SO I just say to myself, its just a blasted game and that feature sucks. But I still like it more than the Borg spotting system we had, or that most games have.

Pretty much this, for me. The LoS tool basically sucks, IMO. I get down to low camera angles and "bore sight" when I have a question. I don't spend too much time in setup (or ever) using the LoS tool.

I should have phrased that differently. A few weeks ago there was a discussion about this very topic and it was noted. And as ChappyCanuck pointed out, no doubt there have been oddities noticed in the past which were never isolated and were probably related to this issue. But my point stands. If this were a "major" problem we would have our chestnuts roasting on an open fire on a near daily basis. Guaranteed. But it has not happened. Instead, from time to time someone makes a post about some confusing LOS/LOF behavior, there is discussion, then it kinda fades away for a while.

This is the sort of problem that will affect some people more than others. Those who take a LONG time to set up their defenses AND are very particular about LOS are going to be affected more often than those who deploy quicker and are not as concerned about LOS tool info as they are good looking defensive positions.

Steve

Are you aware that weather and time of day may play into this? Atleast on CMBO I notice that even though there is a clear view to buildings looking down from a hill, being night, rain, fog, snow or other factors all make my tanks and troops see halfway to the buildings and not full.