ALLIED Battle Report - The Gamey SOB Challenge

The Sixteenth Minute

I moved my Shermans behind their smoke screen to the right along the hill.. I think this move is several turns too late though.  Note that on the Finnochio objective (second image) that Doug is starting to gather troops to defend... its not going to be easy, if it is even possible in this terrain.

016-Shermans.JPG

Panther 1 did not move again this turn, though Panther 2 moved up next to it... it looks to me that right at the end of the turn that Panther 2 gets a spot on Sherman 2 as it quickly rotated its turret and lowered its gun.. then the turn ended,.. could be lights out next turn.  I cannot reasonably push an attack against two unchallenged Panthers.  

016-Panthers.JPG

Turn 16 overview...

016-SITMAP.JPG

Hoien, I might be puling back after another turn or two as well  ;)

No shame in that as the terrain was against you, not easy to flank those Panthers and I did not see how it could be done until you showed the Sherman's moving down the valley not using the road. Then I saw you had a shot at it, but that limited window has now been closed IMO, and I guess your opinion too.

The only thing I might have tried is to lob some smoke rounds in front of the Panther, did you consider that?

No shame in that as the terrain was against you, not easy to flank those Panthers and I did not see how it could be done until you showed the Sherman's moving down the valley not using the road. Then I saw you had a shot at it, but that limited window has now been closed IMO, and I guess your opinion too.

The only thing I might have tried is to lob some smoke rounds in front of the Panther, did you consider that?

I did of course consider smoke in front of the Panther... but I did not have LOS to that area so... I did plot mortar smoke in front of it, but they never fired the rounds.  Best I could do was pop smoke and pray  ;)

This turn I am selecting cease-fire and ending the game, at this point, (actually should have started after I lost my M10) I am ordering a general withdrawal, we'll call in the P-47s soften them up, wait for reinforcements and then go at them again.  

A tip of the hat to Doug as he made no mistakes and beat me fair and square.

I lose another Sherman this turn, as expected, though not the one I thought I would lose  ;)  Doug also started to open up his Panthers at my infantry... which of course was very effective.  Not a pretty battle from my side, and I apologize for the weak showing.

Nice AAR Bil, better luck next time. In all fairness though I think this a very tough map in shape for a US against big cats fight in that it is long and narrow. Not much room to maneuver to the flanks to get side shots. Even if you would have brought more M10's it would still be tough, and then your armor force would be more susceptible to artillery too. If Doug had bought anything besides big cats it would be different in the head on fight, which looks rather unavoidable on this map. I would have picked a force probably identical to Doug’s for this map if I could choose, but lately for QB fights I have been letting the computer select the forces automatically, and playing with whatever cards dealt. It can definitly add more challenge to have to work with what you get.

Edited by Vinnart

This turn I am selecting cease-fire and ending the game, at this point, (actually should have started after I lost my M10) I am ordering a general withdrawal, we'll call in the P-47s soften them up, wait for reinforcements and then go at them again.  

A tip of the hat to Doug as he made no mistakes and beat me fair and square.

I lose another Sherman this turn, as expected, though not the one I thought I would lose   ;)  Doug also started to open up his Panthers at my infantry... which of course was very effective.  Not a pretty battle from my side, and I apologize for the weak showing.

what the?  you are..... human?!  Skynet was a dream?

Hell Bil, as much as you have entertained us over the years, the last thing you should be doing is apologizing.  Thanks again for another show.

A quick and dirty post battle analysis... Doug gave me three maps to choose from and I chose this one.. one of the others was the same map I played the FJ v Red Devils BETA AAR on and I didn't like the looks of the third for some reason that I don't remember  ;)

I then chose the US as I expected a close in battle and the US would have the advantage in that sort of fight.. of course it never devolved into a close in fight so my expectation was faulty.

The map which I thought favored me in fact heavily favored Doug.. he could move straight through covered terrain to both center objectives, while I had to move down one narrow covered defile and then had to maneuver to the flanks.. it simply took too long for me to move into position, by the time I started to get into position with the mass of my combat power he was already in position on both center objectives... the terrain also played havoc with my tank movement.  I never felt comfortable with the terrain and actually should have insisted on an infantry only fight on this map... that would have been more interesting and a better show for the AAR.

Doug played his side to perfection and he successfully countered every move I made.. I think the time it took for me to move my forces really telegraphed my intentions.  Good job Doug you played one hell of a battle. 

Having to squeeze those shermans through a narrow defile and then deploy them, across rough terrain, to the only flank they could potentially have exerted any power from was a big ask. Would it have been worth taking the risk of parking them at the crest, relying on the additional slope for armour and hoping for top hits on the Panthers in the valley?

Womble, yeah maybe. But I could see me losing tanks one at a time in that situation. Might have been worth the risk though with all of them coming over the top at the same time, might have gotten lucky. If I had a couple M10s then maybe I would have had a better chance. But then they would have become mortar fodder.