ALLIED Battle Report - The Gamey SOB Challenge

Bil, is there a reason you came down off the hill where you did? I was expecting you to push the Shermans way over to your right before descending the hill and leaving the concealment of the trees.

I was working my way that direction.. ;)  this is the tank that backed up the hill last turn so it was not positioned as I wanted it to and I was working to get it to the far right.. but I have to be careful as I know he has at least one infantry team over there and I want to lead with infantry.  By the way this tank never left the concealment of the trees... but I am finding these trees are a curse... blind in some spots and very exposed in others.

I was working my way that direction.. ;)  this is the tank that backed up the hill last turn so it was not positioned as I wanted it to and I was working to get it to the far right.. but I have to be careful as I know he has at least one infantry team over there and I want to lead with infantry.  By the way this tank never left the concealment of the trees... but I am finding these trees are a curse... blind in some spots and very exposed in others.

Ah yes. The one that took a round in through the hatch last time. No wonder it spooked, if it's already had a 75 L/70 skip off the glacis... 

Ah yes. The one that took a round in through the hatch last time. No wonder it spooked, if it's already had a 75 L/70 skip off the glacis... 

The round that hit this tank in turn three was also a penetration  ;) , so a total of three penetrations  I wasn't counting the bullet that entered through the open hatch.

Love Holst, Mars, the Bringer of War. Gives me goose pimples, and gets me fired up to listen to when I work out.! It helped inspire the title of a painting of mine too "The Bringing of Mars" that I have on my profile page. Good war movie music.

For Bil's sake lets hope it inspires his boys to kill more pixel Germans.

Edited by Vinnart

Just sent the file back to Doug... M10 coming over the top... Infantry moving far right... ATG taking aim at Panther 2 as a distraction, hopefully that will allow the M10 to get a few shots off without being spotted.

Could be a crucial turn... usually though when I expect crucial turns full of action they turn out to be rather pedestrian...

The Fourteenth Minute

It took three more penetrations, but my Sherman was finally knocked out this turn... 

014-M4A1%2B1%2BKOed.JPG

My M10 didn't really follow the path I had set, instead of moving directly into a hull down position it moved to the side slightly, which took longer, and it fell into the sights of Panther 2....

014-M1-%2BKOed.JPG

I'm not saying the game is over.. but the hill got a lot steeper for me after this turn.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

I guess the AT gun did not attract the Panthers attention?

The ATG got the Panthers attention alright, it fired five Rounds, four of which hit and one even got some internal spalling. I Need a flank to be able to really hurt those tanks. Bravo to Doug, he's doing a great job.

Ouch. When I read Doug's post about this last turn I really felt for you, Bil. The terrain on that map is really tricky, with tree cover being spotty and the slopes complicating things. With the trees shut off it looks so barren and without looking at the map in the game itself rather than screenshots I find it hard to gauge just how many gaps in cover there are but I thought you were well- protected.

Doug is indeed doing a fine job, but you're also facing a situation that poses a big challenge to even an expert player. I hope you can recover. :)

Hey Bud don't feel sorry for me.. this is all part of the joys of Combat Mission.. you can't win them all. All you can do is try to handle each situation to the best of your ability regardless of how dire it looks for you.

I do not expect to win every battle and am content with the thought that at least I put up a good fight under the circumstances... whether I actually am doing that is debatable I am sure.

No full report this turn. Panther 1 did not move, but Panther 2 moved forward and was able to spot and knock out my forward ATG, but not before taking several more hits. He can now advance his Panthers right up to my Shermans and kill them at leisure if he likes.

My goal is now to attrit his infantry as much as possible and capture at least one of the center objectives. I am playing for a draw at this point.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

No full report his turn. Panther 1 did not move, but Panther 2 moved forward and was able to spot and knock out my forward ATG, but not before taking several more hits. He can now advance his Panthers right up to my Shermans and kill them at leisure if he likes.

My goal is now to attrit his infantry as much as possible and capture at least one of the center objectives. I am playing for a draw at this point.

I've done that with some battles as well. There are times when a draw or even a minor defeat is a victory of its own.

You don't think you will be able to surprise his tanks with a bazooka shot if you clear his infantry?

Each Sherman has 5 crewmen? They have .45's with some reloads. Two tank crews could, theoretically, wipe out all of Doug's forces. What are you waiting for?  ;)

(In a different battle, I've been peppering a Panther with a plurality of popgun shots from my poor 57mm ATG, to which it has proven impervious. But the hit decals look cool. I've gotten it over 2 dozen times....)