ALLIED Battle Report - The Gamey SOB Challenge

As a German player I'll always prefer a Panther to a Tiger, at least on the western front. While the Tiger's 88 is less powerful the Panther's 75, it's powerful enough to deal with any tank the Allies have, and has nearly double side and rear armour to the Panther.

When defending against Germans I plan for my opponent taking Tigers and hope he'll grab Panthers instead!

Bud I have been rereading this several times and I think your dyslexia kicked in and you are saying you prefer a Tiger?

I quite like the Panther but as I do not play QB's I have no idea of the cost difference between Panther and Tiger?

Bud I have been rereading this several times and I think your dyslexia kicked in and you are saying you prefer a Tiger?

I quite like the Panther but as I do not play QB's I have no idea of the cost difference between Panther and Tiger?

You're right that came out backwards at the beginning.

What I'm saying is if I have to defend against the Germans, I hope my opponent will buy Panthers as they are to be less difficult to deal with than Tigers. I assume the worst and figure they will buy tigers, but hope they will buy panthers as that would be more favourable to me.

The cost difference is not so significant to be a deterrent to buying Tigers. The rarity, however, is, potentially.

Edited by Bud_B

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, vacation mission has come to a successful conclusion.. turn report coming up as soon as I relax a bit.   ;)

By the way, if you ever get a chance to go to the Norwegian fyords, take it!  Probably the most most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

The Second Minute

The Sherman that engaged the Panther last turn fired again getting another hit.. I would settle for a gun hit, but alas this one hit and bounced off the front hull.

002-Panther%2B1.JPG

Doug raced this Panther forward a bit on the road, and it was joined by a second Panther a bit further up the hill... this one spotted my Sherman (which had withdrawn slightly) .. this Panther (also buttoned) spots and fires at the above mentioned Sherman... due to the extreme angles involved the round bounced harmlessly off the front hull.. there is no way I can stay and exchange fire with a couple of Panthers so I will be popping smoke and getting my Shermans off the hill.

002-Panthers.JPG

All I have seen so far are the two Panthers... I need to get some infantry closer to get eyes on more of his territory so I can get an idea of how he is maneuvering.  Currently I am way too far away to get any infantry sound contacts.

Regarding the Panthers, I did a test and two Panthers of Veteran quality cost 792 points (out of 853 total available), which leaves pretty much nothing for any other armor.. he could probably buy a halftrack to go with them I guess, but as far as real armor combat power, I think I am looking at it.  

002-Overview.JPG

Pity about the ricochet, Bil. But it does seem a long shot to penetrate a Panther frontally with what you have. If he were closer, perhaps the height you have would give you the edge you need but it seems unlikely he'd be so foolish as to do that.

As I struggle to deal with Panthers in my "Skinning Cats" thread I feel strong affinity with your situation.

Pity about the ricochet, Bil. But it does seem a long shot to penetrate a Panther frontally with what you have. If he were closer, perhaps the height you have would give you the edge you need but it seems unlikely he'd be so foolish as to do that.

As I struggle to deal with Panthers in my "Skinning Cats" thread I feel strong affinity with your situation.

Bud, I can't realistically ever expect a frontal penetration on those Panthers... I need to get in very close with my tanks in order to do any damage to them.  But I think for now the best policy is to not engage them in a fight that clearly favors them.

How about your M-10 Bil?

I'm not conversant with the armor penetration of the 76mm L/50, but do you think there's a chance of killing a Panther from the front?

If not, you're going to have to be very sneaky...

The M10 "might" have a chance from the front.. but I hope to get Doug to maneuver the Panthers so my M10 on the hill can get a good enfilade shot or two.  I do not plan on bringing the M10 into view until he maneuvers like I want... if that doesn't happen then I'll do something else.  ;)

The Third Minute

As it withdrew, M4A1 - 1 took another shot from Panther 2 this turn, the round penetrated but damage was minimal.  

003-M4%2B1.JPG

I popped smoke and got M4A1 - 2 off the hill, though Panther 2 apparently got a spot on it as it maneuvered into the trees and fired one round at the end of the turn.. this round impacted harmlessly in the trees.

003-Overview.jpg

Hit: Weapon Mount

That means it hit the top of the turret where the .50cal is mounted, yes? That was a close one, a .50cal is a bad weapon to lose.

After playing as the Germans in a recent PBEM, I can fully appreciate not having the reassuring bark of that heavy machinegun by my side.

I tend to find it's too dangerous to have the crew out using the Ma Deuce when it'd do the most good.

The Fourth Minute

Little action this turn.. Doug's Panther 2 fired some MG at one of my trucks causing one casualty to one of the squads it was carrying... one new infantry contact popped up at the end of this turn.. it will get some attention from a couple mortars next turn.  The two Panthers did not move this turn.

Easy Company has started moving off the S Road Ridge into the defile behind the tank's smoke screen.

004-New%2BContact.JPG

Dog Company's 3rd Platoon supported by one ATG (unlimbered and moving forward) is my lead reconnaissance effort.. 

004-Recon.jpg