Ultra Modern Warfare - attack vs defend

kevinkin

Over the centuries, the defending side had the advantage and it took more attacking force to defeat the defender. At times technology was developed that evened the score between attacker and defender but this lasted only until the new technology was overcome returning the advantage back to the defender. In today's combat, who has the advantage given fairly equal equipment and training?

Kevin

With relative peers, I don't think the advantage lies on which side is on offense or defense... but it lies with the side having the better tactical or terrain advantages.

Personally I prefer to be attacking over defending as I want to be able to dictate to my opponent rather than have to react to him, I like to have and hold the initiative. I am more comfortable attacking and find it far more comfortable to be in that role than in the defense. So though there are some inherent advantages in being on the defense, give me an offensive capable force any time.

Personally I prefer to be attacking over defending as I want to be able to dictate to my opponent rather than have to react to him, I like to have and hold the initiative. I am more comfortable attacking and find it far more comfortable to be in that role than in the defense. So though there are some inherent advantages in being on the defense, give me an offensive capable force any time.

I'm right there with you on that, Bil, and I suspect for exactly the same reason.

:)

Michael

I think you guys will find that modern warfare between near peer rivals boils down to the speed at which information is processed and acted upon. In the game, the use of UAVs and precision fires is well portrayed. A traditional defense against a force which has these resources can be hard to pull off (although not impossible). Conversely on the offense, blundering into the enemy can be extremely punishing.

FWIW I was in a Red force wargame team (made up of wargamers) at an Army base vs Blue US team of serving army officers. Our Soviets decimated the officers team forces - largely with massive Soviet arty and air. We could concentrate, the Blue team was decentralized.

(Which may only go to show that wargamers are better at playing wargames than serving officers.)

Current Russia army isn't your father's Russian army. Its been pretty drastically whittled down and most of the outdated equipment destroyed. So we're not exactly looking at an old WWIII 'red hordes' type environment. The battles will be skill-against-skill. Its telling that (as of the latest build) there are no 'bunkers' in fortifications. Permanent identifiable defensive structures are death traps in this day and age.

After I first posted I began to think the battlefield has become flatter and more open with less cover and concealment than in traditional land warfare. Seems before one engages with infantry and armor the enemy better be degraded electronically and in the air (fixed wing and choppers) - not to mention those UAVs.

Kevin

After I first posted I began to think the battlefield has become flatter and more open with less cover and concealment than in traditional land warfare. Seems before one engages with infantry and armor the enemy better be degraded electronically and in the air (fixed wing and choppers) - not to mention those UAVs.

Kevin

You'd be surprised - a look at modern Ukraine through Google Earth reveals it is for the most part similar to what the Americans experience in Central Europe and Germany during WW2, with generally limited sight lines and plenty of opportunity for infantry infiltration. Take a look at the combat footage coming out of Ukraine right now.

I will have to look into the capabilities of electronic surveillance into tight areas of the battlefield. I was under the impression that while not all seeing, even dispersed infantry left enough signature to raise suspicion and perhaps and volley of fire or airstrike.

Kevin