Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star

I heard it is similar to CM in some way and it is on sale on steam for like 7 dollars was wondering if you guys had any experience with it? Is it worth getting if i enjoy CM. Normally i would just pick it up but the funds are low. thanks guys

I have it and I dont like it very much. Its realtime and Iam not a great fan of realtime. The UI is awkward and I find the behaviour of the Infantry extremely stupid. There no decent manual so it takes some time to get used to the game system and for me this is the biggest drawback. Its not my cup of tea but many peopel like it. But I think for 7$ its worth a try maybe you like it.

I bought one of the previous versions for about 10 dollars - and I second what Crinius just wrote: Horrible UI and it is only realtime. They graphics were really nice, though.

I played it for a couple of days, then gave it up. So it might be cheap to purchase, but when looking at the time I actually played it, it must be one of the most expensive games I ever bought. Whereas CM...

Well I have to be honest I actually play CM in real time ( i know i know) lol I just pause it and give orders or pause it when i want to check stuff out. I find that in WeGo i often have to just sit there and watch some of my not so great ideas play out for a whole 60 sec. which is painful. In RT i can quickly cancel a bad order.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/07/wot-i-think-achtung-panzer/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/06/wot-i-think-achtung-panzer-operation-star/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275290/ - 34 positive reviews, 2 negative. Surprising as according to many posters on here, wargames don't have an audience on Steam.

Flames. Tracks come off AFVs. AFVs occasionally slide down embankments. AI is unscripted and reactive. Operational layer. Believable night battles. Tank riders. Digging in. Field telephones. Command delays. Runs well on good hardware. Large maps. No predictable scenario designer.

8 operations for the Red Army and Wehrmacht

More than 60 detailed units of the Soviet Union, Germany and UK, including Pz IV "Tiger", MkII "Matilda" and KV-1 with various modifications.

Huge realistic landscapes (over 260 sq km), reconstructed by the topographic maps and photo.

Quick battle anywhere in the operation areas.

Mod utility set and campaign editor

Features:

High replayability and flexible AI. It chooses the best strategy based on behavior rather than a

script. Scenarios can be replayed using different tactics, as though playing against a human opponent.

Real soldier behavior: every soldier has several basic parameters, such as experience level,

fatigue, and morale, which affect their behavior and effectiveness

Detailed recreation of weapons and realistic ballistics: bullets and projectiles follow accurate trajectories

Comprehensive vehicle damage system: engine, suspension, weapons, and aiming mechanisms can all be damaged separately, affecting the combat capabilities of the vehicle

Destructible environment: nearly everything can be blasted and destroyed, from ground terrain to

houses and enemy defenses. All traces of previous battles remain on the battlefield

Dynamic day, night and weather effects, all of which affect combat through terrain traversability,

battlefield visibility, hidden force capabilities, and more, smoke screens, light flares e.t.c.

Military encyclopedia with 3D model viewer and detailed data on all units, describing their

historical and in-game characteristics

So it may scratch a few itches that CM doesn't.

No one can tell you whether you will like it or not, but at $7 which I can drop at a coffee joint in a morning I am still not interested. If it were free I still wouldn't bother giving it space on the hard drive. It has more eye candy, but that is where it ends. Just not my cup o joe.

I bought it a couple of months ago. -Got the whole series for $40 at 70% off.

And I regret it.

My advice is to spend as much time with the demo as you can. I spent a few hours with the demo and thought it would at least be worth the sale price, but it only held my interest for a few days.

Some people rave about the GTOS graphics, but to my eyes, modded CM looks better in most ways, save for AFV tread graphics/animations. And, I always feel like I'm fighting on a miniature golf course in GTOS for some reason.

My issues:

-Inability to split teams and fine-tune support weapon usage pretty much cuts the knees out of using real-world infantry tactics ala period tactical manuals like you can in CM. Yes, you can ballpark with fire superiority and combined arms in GTOS, but you can't, say, have your LMG teams suppress while your assault teams pop smoke and leapfrog in for a close assault, maybe with a demo charge for side entry.

-Hate the UI. I actually get a headache using the one in GTOS. -Never experienced that in another game.

-The soldiers look really cartoonish. Modded CM infantry is WAY better.

-The maps grow boring super-quickly. Yes, you get naturally curving roads and integrated horizons with GTOS. But at the price of unnatural-looking road curves and the map floating in space relative to the horizon, CM gives you the universe on a plate in terms of maps and map-making. The better maps in CM blow the GTOS maps out of the water and the way units interact with the terrain in CM is much easier to control.

-GTOS being real-time only, combined with lack of team splitting, limits battle sizes to a smaller range than CM. In CM, you can play fun micro-battles in RT or WEGO, crank things up to mega-sized battles in WEGO, or play anything in-between in WEGO or RT up to the point where you don't want to control that many units.

--GTOS explosion graphics look pretty canned/cheesy. Modded CM ala Vein's special effects are much better.

--GTOS animations have novelty value that wears thin quickly and becomes annoying. Like the running troopers on fire. Really cool the first few times. By day three--annoying!

Things I like:

-Very nice work on the AFV treads. Dirt/snow flies from them and the de-tracking animations are cool.

-Operations Layer (but with the disappointing Tactical Layer, what's the point, really?)

Some people really like the game, though. If you're a person who wants RT play and to issue commands from higher up the command chain while letting the AI handle the underlying tactical workload, then you may get your money's worth.

Again, give the demo some serious time (not just a day or two) and see if you think it's for you. That's my advice.

Good game.

+:

- 1:1 vehicle simulation. I lost Matilda tank because he slided into the river. )

- Operational mode, huge 3d map. Corpses and destroyed tanks from previous battles.

- Large maps

- Formations, different move orders, in columns by roads, in line, e.t.c. Platoon formations.

- Many little things, like wire link team that establish wire link to units from HQ team.

- Nice winter atmosphere, realistic landscape. (developers live near Charkov, were action took place)

- AI is realy smart. He defeated me many times. You have no micro control, you can't order soldiers "you two - take AT grenades and crowl to that tank... he turns turret, hide... now move" e.t.c.. It is hard.

-:

- Density is a bit low. 2-3 platoons on 3x3km map.

- Lack of nice graphic things, like bolt action rifles animations, different solders faces e.t.c.

- No network game

- AT guns probably are underpowered

-Not enough... Visibility, If I find correct word. All looks reallistic - no tracers for each round, sparse formations. But you can't see what is going on! You move camera closer, see 2-3 soldiers running and shooting. Move it further - you can't see details.

I have it and I dont like it very much. Its realtime and Iam not a great fan of realtime. The UI is awkward and I find the behaviour of the Infantry extremely stupid. There no decent manual so it takes some time to get used to the game system and for me this is the biggest drawback. Its not my cup of tea but many peopel like it. But I think for 7$ its worth a try maybe you like it.

Exact same opinion here.

I also grabbed it for $7 or so, fiddled around with it for a short while, quickly realized that it didn't grab me and that it just seemed inferior to Combat Mission in too many areas, and that I really don't like real-time games. (The review feature of turn-based Combat Mission has always been one the game's most awesome aspects.)

So, I deleted it and shrugged-off the lost $7.

I tried the demo for a few hours. the UI is the worst i have ever seen. although i love the atmosphere of the battles. From the demo i will say some things look better in GTOS. Like tracers and explosions, but CM mods fix that. I will pick it up for $7 but i fear like you guys i will just sit here and compare it to CM.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother for WW2 battles, just not enough low level control for me.

However where it does shine is covering conflicts that no one else in their right mind would cover. Angolan Civil War (Operation Hooper), minor Russia/China border incidents (Zhalanashkol 1969) and theoretical Russian/Iranian conflicts (Shield of the Prophet).

There the lack of density is actually half way credible, and if the idea of stalking T-55's in Ratel IFVs through bush in 80's African proxy wars appeals, you won't find that anywhere else.

And yes the interface is an acquired taste....

Kinda guessing here guys, but I suspect discussing a competitor (even in the terms above; that is fairly negatively) might be against the forum rules? Lockup incoming?

Well i figured since the game is ww2 eastern front the Red thunder page would get me the most feedback. I also do not feel like the game is direct competition with CM. Also im not sitting saying "omg guys buy this game its wayyy better!" im just seeing what like minded people who tried it thought of it.

Well i figured since the game is ww2 eastern front the Red thunder page would get me the most feedback. I also do not feel like the game is direct competition with CM. Also im not sitting saying "omg guys buy this game its wayyy better!" im just seeing what like minded people who tried it thought of it.

I asked the same question here when considering my purchase, using the same logic when doing so. IIRC, my thread did get moved to the general later, though.

I bought it played 3 quick battles then went and played RT scenario Beutezug as the germans overall i have to say CM is way better. I have lots of mods on all of my CM games though. Overall I think GTOS is a nice game so far and im sure i will get my money out of it, but like people said that interface is just soo awful

i have about 14 hours into it so far and its a decent game.. I honestly hate the way troops are commanded and i didnt notice any kind of tutorial. like what is the difference between the Assault and the Attack move command? :confused: but it is a good game especially for 7 bucks. I do however find the tank combat pretty intense with bits flying off the tank and treads falling off with the tank still trying to drive or the fuel tank getting hit and flaming fuel spews out of the tank lol