Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star

While I do understand why some folks hate GTOS and don't play it because they feel it's inferior to CMx2 -- just wanted to say that it's perfectly possible to love both games, GTOS and CMx2. At this sale price, I would certainly recommend to anyone even remotely interested to pick it up and see for yourself. The Steam version will at least alleviate some of the headache of installing the add-on content (Shilovo, etc.).

The one really big difference, for me, is in the modeling of infantry combat. CMx2 is unarguably the better, deeper game in this respect. Infantry really feel like a bit of an afterthought in GTOS. That said, GTOS does have a lot going for it, and I don't find the somewhat anemic representation of infantry combat a game-breaker.

I would kill for CMx2 to incorporate something like the dynamic campaigns that GTOS offers. CMx2's 'beads on a thread' campaigns, giving the player no real operational control, pale in comparison to what GTOS offers.

Anyway, my advice -- have both games on your harddrive. They never leave mine.

I have played for 1.5 hours as quick battle. First impressions that the game is very good, all units are under your hand, you can easily touch any of them with command buttons at under of the screen. Tank movements are tremendous with many tactical options, even cover arcs.

Very good graphics and movement effects

In short , I liked it

As I said before, it's real bargain with this price.

BTW, there is no multiplayer option, I have to add this

Regards

I got it on sale, and got my money's worth. I've had some great battles in it, and found at times the infantry tactics for example when ordering an assault to be quite believable. The AI is no worse than BF AI. Both games can offer up some howlers and yet some really good AI.

The graphics are fantastic. The UI not so good, but then I got used to it just as I got used to the CM UI.

It is not, however, a good "what if" game. You have no where near as much control over what kind of battle or terrain you will fight. Then again it does have a simple operational layer which gives a meaning to the battles you fight. All up given I've spent a pittance on it compared to BFC games, it's a nice diversion. Some of the graphics - dust, flames, mud, tank crews animations etc have been breathtaking and worth the small amount of money.

It's not a threat to BF, and I don't see it as an exclusive thing - we can enjoy the offerings of both companies. To be able to take the best of each and meld them into one superlative game would be a wonderful thing. But a fantasy.

I actually click more in CM setting up waypoints and commands more that GTOS... lol but i can see why looking at it might make you think it would be a "click fest" it looks like a RTS with really good graphics, but its a wargame in RT with a terrible UI and no good tutorials lol I have almost 40 hours in it and im still learning stuff, its a pretty fun and rewarding game, not as good as CM, but it offers some very rarely seen conflicts to fight in

I actually click more in CM setting up waypoints and commands more that GTOS... lol but i can see why looking at it might make you think it would be a "click fest" it looks like a RTS with really good graphics, but its a wargame in RT with a terrible UI and no good tutorials lol I have almost 40 hours in it and im still learning stuff, its a pretty fun and rewarding game, not as good as CM, but it offers some very rarely seen conflicts to fight in

Hello,

Did you try to play CMX2 series in Real Time mode? After then you will see how horrible the CM UI with regards to the GTOS. So the GTOS is much way better while we're talking RT side.

So please match apples and apples.

Regards.

Hello,

Did you try to play CMX2 series in Real Time mode? After then you will see how horrible the CM UI with regards to the GTOS. So the GTOS is much way better while we're talking RT side.

So please match apples and apples.

Regards.

yes i only play CM in real time i have also stated that several times in this thread alone.

yes i only play CM in real time i have also stated that several times in this thread alone.

So can you easily control all of units in medium and big maps in CM?

In CM realtime, you can't get any feedback about the actions from otherside of the battlefield. (there is no any alert system)

You can't touch all of units from a button panel (You can see in GTOS at bottom of the screen)

So from my point of view CM is unplayable as realtime mode with regards to the GTOS.

But CM is the best in We go system and multiplayer

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic game once you're accustomed to the UI - one of the only products I know that has an operational layer. Creates a bunch of relevance for each individual mission that you play.

It has far less micro management than CM, more of a "click and watch things unfold" sort of game - and so real time is quite forgivable and appropriate for the gameplay.

If the UI puts you off at first, keep at it, it's a fun little gem underneath. There's a realistic sound mod floating around somewhere that helps the immersion side of things quite a lot.

I like the game. Been playing for a while now along with CM. But in my opinion if you cannot get down and watch the action what is the use? I get tired of watching from the clouds at the action unfolding. You miss most of the little things from up there and when you zoom in you miss other things around the battlefield. I really think they need a turn by turn mode to complete this game and make it compete with the top dog.

• 1 month later...

-Inability to split teams and fine-tune support weapon usage pretty much cuts the knees out of using real-world infantry tactics ala period tactical manuals like you can in CM. Yes, you can ballpark with fire superiority and combined arms in GTOS, but you can't, say, have your LMG teams suppress while your assault teams pop smoke and leapfrog in for a close assault, maybe with a demo charge for side entry.

-Hate the UI. I actually get a headache using the one in GTOS. -Never experienced that in another game.

I think Players expecting a CM-like experience from GTOS are going to be disappointed: Philosophically, the games could not be more different. 

You are not supposed to micro in GTOS; in fact, it is discouraged. The entire point of the AI - imperfect as it is - is to take the burden off the player. 

Your base of fire example is one such thing - most of the time the AI will use an attack order correctly and will create their own fire and maneuver. It doesn't always work, but it goes both ways. Likewise, getting a lot of vehicles from A to B is a very straightforward matter as they'll do it themselves without needing micro, just a simple set of orders.  

The perfectability of strategy is the appeal of CMx2; that's what makes it interesting. GTOS has a confusing fog of war/snafu element that actually makes it an interesting fight, most of the time. Getting your strategy right and watching it unfold (or...not) - I'm usually quite happy to leave the game unpaused and see how things go. 

Edited by Sulman

• 1 month later...

Played Operation Hooper, and enjoyed it. T55 against Centurions. Graphics have come a long way since Op Star. Nice to have the option to move vehicles by road or as the crow flies. Watching dragon flies come in to drop a couple 250 pounders is spectacular. There are plus and minus to both games. CM2 is the better game but I will always play both series.

I like GTOS too. The DLCs that add 60s to 80s scenarios ar really cool. My favorite iteration though is Steel Armor - Blaze of War (aka sabow). Sabow is basically like GTOS (same engine, ui, etc) but it allows you to hop in either a T-62 or an M60A3 tank and actively participate in the battle as tank commander. That is really cool IMO. The accuracy of the simulation is quite high and the 2 different tanks have interesting techonoglical differences. While the T-62 has a fully gyrostabilized gun but no night vision equipment, the M60 has 2nd generation night vision equipment but no gyrostabilizer.