Funnies German and Allied oh my!

Actually the game is primarily single player based according to BF...

In my mind (addled, I admit), this is more reason to make this a module and add scenarios and campaigns. I say this as one who is happy to have purchased the pack and who endorses the pack concept. I view the pack concept as mostly an addition to multi-player upon release, since the most accessible way to enjoy the content is in a QB. I believe QB's are vastly superior when played against a human opponent (again, my opinion - not reality). I enjoy playing scenarios against others, but I believe it is not a big deal to modify existing scenarios to include new content for h2h play (actually more flexible than QB's because one can include more nationalities and branches this way... but you have to trust your opponent)

I also don't get the bit about "fragmenting" the pbem community. I have one install. I play with people who have the same content as me. I upgrade after giving them a heads up and if they choose to not upgrade our in process game is over. I'm not going to lose any sleep over not completing a game under these circumstances because I can always start a new one and my opponent can as well. I am pretty sure I play with mature people who can handle not finishing a game, yet this theory has never been tested because the people I play with always seem to want their CM the same way I want mine - up to date.

What has been clear to me for a long time (which doesn't make it reality, btw) is that the true value of CM is the editor and its ability to allow users to create new content. This is what makes the game one that can be enjoyed for a long, long time, even without the upgrade path (people are still making new content for CMSF).

So, for me, the value of the pack is its long term impact on the game. When it comes to CM, I am one who wants more content, not less. I also understand that I don't have the slightest idea of development costs. I also remember a post by Steve that acknowledged the unfortunate fact that the cost of the product has different impacts on different people, especially on those who don't live in the US.

When I started computer gaming in the late 80's I thought long and hard before spending $40 on a title, so I feel I understand the concept of not purchasing a product based on my valuation of the product. What I don't understand is coming on the forum and announcing that the price is too high or unjustified by the amount of content. Or that because a patch hasn't been released in a time frame that suits me I will never buy a product from that company again. I would advise those folks to watch out for the door as they leave.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole thing is only $15 away from a module, which has infinitely more content than this pack does...

I had the same thought. The $20 cost is more than I expected but also makes the modules and base games seem like an even better value. The $10 v2 and v3 patches were automatic reflexive buys for me but $20 makes me stop and think about it.

Agreed that the psychology of price points is a mysterious thing and typically doesn't hold up under scrutiny. People are strange; perfectly "rational actors" are difficult to find. I might be more likely to buy two smaller unit packs each priced at $10 rather than one bigger pack priced at $20.

I DO fervently hope that the overall concept works for BF.

Last weekend I spent $20 some dollars at a bar with friends. You might think that I should then be fine buying this vehicle pack. But the reality is that the CM Vehicle pack =\= a night at the bar with friends. They are not equivalent items even though the cost is equivalent.

Which leads to; you will only physically experience that single night out once, anything else taken from it will be memory. I spend twenty bucks once on a CM item and I will experience it any day or everyday that I please for as long as I please. That, to me, is value.

And judging by BFC's history whatever fixes 3.10 contains will be released in a patch...so, you guys don't have to buy the VP if you don't find it of value and you'll still be up-to-date.

I also don't get the bit about "fragmenting" the pbem community. I have one install. I play with people who have the same content as me.

Same here. I play junkies like me.

Good post btw.

Mord.

The one thing that worries me is that this pack is much more appealing to those who own all previous modules. People that only have one or none of the modules will probably not buy as they wont gett all the content in the pack. This kind of breakes the module/dlc principle if you ask me.

I own all modules, this pack etc. and will continue to buy anything released, but the pack bussiness idea might not work when it basically only targets those who buy everything. Hope to be proven wrong and hope we will see a lot more packs and other stuff released.

I own all modules, this pack etc. and will continue to buy anything released, but the pack bussiness idea might not work when it basically only targets those who buy everything.

That's a good point, but I'd think most players would have a combo of Base+CW, or Base + MG. I doubt there are too many left still playing the base game alone.

Mord.

That's a good point, but I'd think most players would have a combo of Base+CW, or Base + MG. I doubt there are too many left still playing the base game alone.

Mord.

I think so too, but I believe that would still have those people miss some content in the pack. Not sure though. If you get access to it all with only one of the modules that feels much better.

I don't think I've ever been classified in quite this specific way before... ;P

Oh, I've "classified" you in a hundred ways you are unaware of...'specially when you screw up one of my attacks.

Mord.

I personally like the idea of the pack, but I won't be purchasing it because it just isn't really worth it. The whole thing is only $15 away from a module, which has infinitely more content than this pack does, and I personally don't find much of the content that interesting.

There is a tenant amongst pricing theorists (aka economists working with the marketing department) that goes like this (paraphrasing): "If you don't get some complaints about price and have some people decide not to buy because of price, your price is too low".

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner.

I also don't get the bit about "fragmenting" the pbem community. I have one install. I play with people who have the same content as me. I upgrade after giving them a heads up and if they choose to not upgrade our in process game is over. I'm not going to lose any sleep over not completing a game under these circumstances because I can always start a new one and my opponent can as well. I am pretty sure I play with mature people who can handle not finishing a game, yet this theory has never been tested because the people I play with always seem to want their CM the same way I want mine - up to date.

Ooo harsh :D I am one of those buffer guys that allows the smooth transition - my routine is to run with two installs (I actually have three of CMBN right now cause one 2.12 game is dragging on - not in a bad way). Having said that I expect to start new games on the newest version and when games on older versions end those installs get deleted.

Ooo harsh :D I am one of those buffer guys that allows the smooth transition - my routine is to run with two installs (I actually have three of CMBN right now cause one 2.12 game is dragging on - not in a bad way). Having said that I expect to start new games on the newest version and when games on older versions end those installs get deleted.

I get it... but I am more like Pelican Pal in that I have a large number of other games installed that I find time to play - my SOP is about disk space coupled with the notion that if a game doesn't get finished we can usually start a new one.

Oh, and your use of artillery is bordering on genius :) if I was ever going to use the single install as a convenient excuse to quit a game because things weren't going my way...

ian.leslie,

Why is it that the type of housing arrangement an economist has relevant to pricing issues? Not everyone can be a homeowner, you see. That is why it's a tenet among tenants that paying the rent is a profoundly good idea if you wish to stay in said dwelling. That was fun, but I do take your point on setting product price. In this regard, CM is unique, for no one else has it. Consequently, it's got less to do with general market conditions than it does to do with the specific issues pertaining principally a) to the BFC demographic and B) to future recruits to the fold. Obviously, the external market and overall economy do feed back into the overall calculation, but when there's no other widget like the one you're selling, that changes market dynamics considerably. BFC does have to look, though, at price point in the context of competing demand for the same monies. In turn, that leads straight to our entertainment hours/$ metric, where CM just kills it. Both generally and vs video games.

Regards,

John Kettler

Oh, and your use of artillery is bordering on genius :) if I was ever going to use the single install as a convenient excuse to quit a game because things weren't going my way...

LOL, thanks, good to know. I actually like using artillery - I know some people find it boring but I find it fun. I guess that is showing in this game because the LOS is pretty open on my side of the map so I have spotter all over the place who can call in the good stuff in lots of places. Mind there is lot of time on the clock and my ammo count is ticking down...

Why is it that the type of housing arrangement an economist has relevant to pricing issues? Not everyone can be a homeowner, you see. That is why it's a tenet among tenants that paying the rent is a profoundly good idea if you wish to stay in said dwelling.

LOL, it took me a moment to figure out what you meant there - mainly because I said I did not want to go into that:) In a nut shell I view buying software the same as buying a TV or a dishwasher. I want it to work as well as it did when I bought it for the job I bought it for. I don't mind paying for new features and I appreciate that sometimes it gets fixed for no or little cost. But in the end I want the choice to decide am I going to use this product as it is for years to come or am I going to buy a new one. Just like the 19 inch CRC TV I still have because it still works and it does the job I need it to do.

Even if there are customers who want more than that - to get and pay for ongoing support as requested, or additional services or just a steady flow of updates. I am happy for them when a company provides that pricing option, I in no way would say that is a bad thing to do or a bad thing to want. *I* just do not want that. Lately I have been a little hot under the collar over price changes Adobe has made. It really pisses me off when I start thinking about it - Doh - there now I am thinking about it again:mad:.

That was fun, but I do take your point on setting product price. In this regard, CM is unique, for no one else has it.

Indeed and its uniqueness could be used as an argument for charging even more. My point is as simple as "if the price were low enough such that no one complained about price" that price would unquestionably be to low. What the upper limit would be I have no idea - heck I would not even want to speculate in case Steve might take me up on that idea:D

Just a note to add my two reworked scenarios are now up on the repository.

Borderland (MG) sees the PzIII's replaced with Char B-2 (f)

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117401

In the Shadow of the Hill 7.00 am (CW) sees A Co 4th Dorsets supported by a troop of Crocodiles, rather than the vanilla Churchills previously included.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117400

No other changes

P

Just a note to add my two reworked scenarios are now up on the repository.

Borderland (MG) sees the PzIII's replaced with Char B-2 (f)

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117401

In the Shadow of the Hill 7.00 am (CW) sees A Co 4th Dorsets supported by a troop of Crocodiles, rather than the vanilla Churchills previously included.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117400

No other changes

P

You rock, thanks Pete!