Funnies German and Allied oh my!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest way to think of it is that the Vehicle Pack does not add any new nationalities or branches of service to the game. If you think about it there's no other way it can be. For example, the new Churchill variant. If you do not have CW or MG then the Vehicle Pack would have to include all British uniforms, voices, and UI artwork as well as the TO&E. Then the player would be able to do what? Play with a Churchill battalion and no other British units? That doesn't make much sense.

Steve

Thanks for the clarification, and that does make sense.

Another question.. no new infantry formations in this pack (its called a vehicle pack, so makes sense), but would it be possible for future packs to include infantry formations? Id like to see a ost battalion for CMBN for example.

Very much looking forward to this release! And to any pack released for FI in the future :D

The real challenge for all games in the CM2 series is getting (good) campaigns.

The work load/time required for a designer making a really well thought out campaign must be enormous. BF Campaign Packs developed for all the CM2 titles made by good designers is something I would pay for (in addition to the mod packs).

Additional question, will these units be added into an existing OOB for a formation, or will they be standalone in the editor?

They are all integrated into the applicable formations. The new halftracks are available as an equipment choice to German armored panzergrenadier formations, the Grille is in Panzergrenadier armored regimental cannon companies, engineer units have the manpack flamethrowers, etc.

They can also be bought and attached to other formations as usual through Individual Vehicles. You can quickly find them on the list by hitting Spacebar in the editor, all of the Vehicle Pack items will display "vehicle pack" next to the vehicle or formation name.

The real challenge for all games in the CM2 series is getting (good) campaigns.

The work load/time required for a designer making a really well thought out campaign must be enormous. BF Campaign Packs developed for all the CM2 titles made by good designers is something I would pay for (in addition to the mod packs).

seconded.:cool:

Lets see:

Button and functionality for Crab mine clear ('clear mines')

graphic for chains (static & rotating)

Logic for mines detonating (and graphics, although this might be already there)

logic to reverse turret

smoke/dust generation

Logic for Petard mortar on AVRE, reload etc

graphics for same

weapons stats for same

need I go on?

I do hope this isn't just the $10 for v3.0 debate again.

I have heard it say that the components for an Iphone are worth about $20 (in bulk). I don't recall any whining on Apple websites! If you don't like it, don't buy it. They do not have a stranglehold on you - the game doesn't stop working if you don't buy!

I will be!

Will the AI know how to use them?

Waycool et al.,

Your handle pretty much sums up this pack. And only BFC would give us four versions of a U-Boat (U-304, a Type VIIC) Clear evidence the standard histories of the Normandy Campaign are sorely deficient! It's wonderful to see the Baukommando Becker AFVs, and we already have the Marder end of things from that conversion series. Kingfish can now lose his mind in depicting 21 PD. He was the maven of this back in CMx1.

How are we fixed for on-board Nebelwerfers (not the same as Naverboogies)? Maps are now large enough to have them on the board, especially given that 150 mm type guns (M12 has 155 mm GPF) and howitzers (15 cm sFH 18 on Hummel) are in. Speaking of which, my understanding is that the M12 wasn't used in the DF role until Aachen, Germany, well after the CMBN time frame. If that cannon is firing, the rear spade assembly needs to be down. What's shown is in travel position. Great to see the Stuart reworks, Priest infantry carriers and other wonderful toys.

Since the models are already built and animated, will the flak guns and other goodies from the other games be usable now under 3.0 for CMBN? If not, then the Germans are blessed to have the Flak AFV. If the 251/16 is in the game, is the dismount flamethrower on a hose (13 m long) depicted and usable? Flame capability with 251/16 in full defilade. Char B bis Flammpanzer is a wholly unexpected item.

CW Lifebuoy FF now allows the Arnhem bridge pillbox attack (seen in ABTF) to be done. Yay! Great to have manpack FF for all concerned. AVRE Petard is a spigot mortar (fires "Flying Dustbin" HESH bomb and has to be slowly externally reloaded. Best be close because accuracy at significant range isn't very good. Projectile can wreck a tank, but you'd best hit, because you'll not get a second chance.The AVRE carries a small group of REs, sappers, who go in and remove things the AVRE can't get to or are simply in the way. Crocodile is very cool/smokin. In actual use, had option to hose target w/o igniting. Call it a surrender incentive. Wasp didn't debut until Scheldt Estuary Campaign, I believe. Love, love, love the Crab, but the chain animation will require work. Har! Chains aren't straight when mines go blooey. See 0:57 here in this great set of still images vid covering Hobart's Funnies of 79 AD.

Excellent turning away of the turret to present turret rear to explosions and frags from mine detonations. Pointed forward was tried but tore up the weapons and optics. Bunkers are pretty tough, but watching MG fire go clear through them was most disconcerting.

Looks like a great pack which will add lots of exciting options to the game!

Regards,

John Kettler

AKD, the Grille is not selectable in the Single vehicles list in the editor. Can it only be selected by chosing the above Company?

Are you looking under Armored Infantry single vehicles?

edit: no, you are right. It was in the single vehicles list before but must have got nixed in one of the last builds somehow. I will report as a bug. For now you will find it as an on-map option in:

Armored Infantry --> Regimental Cannon Company [PzG Armd]

Are you looking under Armored Infantry single vehicles?

edit: no, you are right. It was in the single vehicles list before but must have got nixed in one of the last builds somehow. I will report as a bug. For now you will find it as an on-map option in:

Armored Infantry --> Regimental Cannon Company [PzG Armd]

Please do report it, AKD, thank you. For now I'm delighted it's in. Lovely little vehicle.

I think its great they released this, price is no issue but its the disruption to pbm games that puts me off.

Im not making multiple instances of the game to run different versions.

A more logical soultion needs to be put in place.

Unlock units as people pay to use them.

Means your opponent can play the pbm with out being effected.

This effects alot of players and the game is PBM based.

I think its great they released this, price is no issue but its the disruption to pbm games that puts me off.

Im not making multiple instances of the game to run different versions.

A more logical soultion needs to be put in place.

Unlock units as people pay to use them.

Means your opponent can play the pbm with out being effected.

This effects alot of players and the game is PBM based.

Actually the game is primarily single player based according to BF. However you may want to look in the other thread about some stuff Steve is discussing for future plans.

The one caution is it doesn't seem to help when having version differences, but those include unit behaviors, capabilities and command features.

I just counted up the number of new units in the pack (including Grille and Sdkfz 251/16) and divided that number by the pack cost. It worked out to about 69 cents for each new unit. That doesn't sound particularly egregious, especially considering a Tamiya plastic modeling kit of the Char B-1 Bis would set you back about fifty bucks. A conversion kit to build a 1/35 scale Sherman Crab would cost you about eighty bucks, and that doesn't include the cost of the Sherman kit. Sixty nine cents doesn't sound so bad in comparison.

Don't bother using logic...these guys will piss 20 bucks away a few times a month on absolutely nothing and have no problem...but soon as BFC prices something it's the end of the world. After 6 modules, 2 upgrades, and this pack, it's getting REALLY old.

Mord.

Don't bother using logic...these guys will piss 20 bucks away a few times a month on absolutely nothing and have no problem...but soon as BFC prices something it's the end of the world. After 6 modules, 2 upgrades, and this pack, it's getting REALLY old.

Mord.

And then some. In the past, I would have attempted to use reason with them, but at this point, I'm done. Nothing civil comes to mind to say, so I'll leave it to others who can still be bothered.

I personally like the idea of the pack, but I won't be purchasing it because it just isn't really worth it. The whole thing is only $15 away from a module, which has infinitely more content than this pack does, and I personally don't find much of the content that interesting. Flame weapons are great in theory, but I hardly ever use them in CM:RT as it is, and while the Sherman flail is cool I don't find mine clearing all that interesting. The old French equipment pushed into service is what interests me and there just isn't enough of it at that price to justify a purchase. Especially when I don't own all the modules. Now I would buy it if it came bundled with the 3.0 upgrade at $20, but it doesn't so there went that purchase plan.

If I had to bet I would guess that this pack won't make enough to continue doing them which is unfortunate and a bit of a loss. As I think the idea of small vehicle packs is really interesting. Especially with the new multiplayer system BFC is going to implement.

Mord.

The thing is people understand prices differently. Consumables are generally not judged the same way other items are, and people consider the price of items differently. Last weekend I spent $20 some dollars at a bar with friends. You might think that I should then be fine buying this vehicle pack. But the reality is that the CM Vehicle pack =\= a night at the bar with friends. They are not equivalent items even though the cost is equivalent.

The whole "but a model tank cost X amount more!" is always interesting to me too. I've never in my life even seen a model tank kit, much less thought about buying one. It kinda brings up the two different audiences of CM. If you are tabletop wargamer or modeler CM seems an amazing value. While if you are someone who plays video games CM is on the expensive side.