Another Wish List Thread: What do you want to see in the CM:BN Battlepack?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how much they price it at. Personally, I would pay a lot for a WW2 train sim.

I take that for granted based on your previous posts. But how many other people would do that? Unless BFC is convinced that they are going to recover development costs and make some profit too, they aren't likely to go down that (rail)road.

Have you any idea how incredibly expensive are the actual model trains??

Haven't priced any in a very long time, but I will take your word for it.

(Still not holding my breath tho'.)

Good plan.

Michael

Michael: Yeah, I know it's a hypothetical humorous concept, but the reality is that train sims are very popular and real modelers can easily spend thousands of dollars on models these days let alone the thousands of man-hours to build a layout. So, it is an established and proven market - way larger than the wargame market. Combining the two is an interesting idea...

The AI is still stupid they move right into line of fire.

Should have warning that the movement order cannot be made they way you want it.

I paid for the original, both expacks, and the 2.0 upgrade. Now I have to pay for another when the AI still stupider then a raw recruit.

A battlepack? Sounds cool.

What I am wishing for was a possibility to model an actual real battle. Battles often were fought on the same location in several phases.

But a CM scenario is more like one certain phase of a battle.

And the campaigns I know are individual scenarios cleverly connected with a (fake) story. This is gamey and fun, but I am missing the realism when it comes to model a battle or at least get a feeling for it.

I would find it interesting, if the attacking player needs to recon by force to gather intelligence. How strong is the enemy? Is he dug in? Where are the defenses? What defenses are present?

Then, based on his personal performance in the game, he would need to develop a plan on his own for the attack on the same location. The map keeps all the destructions, the unit strenghts and positions are stored.

Then to have a phase where he tries to overcome the minefields.

Once that was achieved he would need to develop a plan on his own how to breach into the defenses. Are my forces strong enough? For what task are they strong enough? Is it better to wait for the promised reinforcements until tomorrow, or to attack ASAP?

That's what I would like to see from a battlepack. That it gives us all whole battles.

The AI is still stupid they move right into line of fire.

Should have warning that the movement order cannot be made they way you want it.

I paid for the original, both expacks, and the 2.0 upgrade. Now I have to pay for another when the AI still stupider then a raw recruit.

Daroc, you seem to be really frustrated wigh the game. By this post of yours I got the feeling you havewrong expectations from the game. AV's go where you told them to and sometimes don't obey your orders if they feel too threatened or are rattled, etc. See nothing wrong with that.

AI unit's move acording to scfipts and triggers in scenarios. 3.0 brought triggers which make AI handled units more immersive, believable.

I see you made more such disgrountled posts across the board. It's not really a good way of expressing your frustrations. We can help you get the most out of the game which is regarded as the best tactical game available at the moment and for,a,good reason while we are at it. Good luck finding a better one. If you do then let us know.

You can start by letting us know what ingame situation pisses you so much. AI pathfinding? Let us know what concrete situation was fubarey by the AI.

I bet many people will be glad to explain stuff and help you out.

Above all what i need in CMBN is :

1. sounds different for the weapons
  2. grass less flashy
  3. better effects

Before someone tells me this is possible with mods, i respond i don't want mods, i want a game complete out of the box.

Mods mean that we can all have a game that looks exactly like we want. My game has effects (Vein), sound (Waclaw), vehicle graphics (Aris), uniforms (Vein), scenery (Aris), that are all exactly how I want. Why would I want to pay for a game that can only look how you want?

As far as i know, this is a post for a wish list...

and my wish is that this game is complete without mods.

for me, it's not complete cause all the rifles sounds same, the grass is to bright and the tracers are laser, the flames seems out of a 1998 game.

That's my opinion...

I'm not against the mods, i just think that when i pay a game that price, i should not pass by the community work to have a decent immersion.

after that, you can mod it to what you want

As far as i know, this is a post for a wish list...

and my wish is that this game is complete without mods.

for me, it's not complete cause all the rifles sounds same, the grass is to bright and the tracers are laser, the flames seems out of a 1998 game.

That's my opinion...

I'm not against the mods, i just think that when i pay a game that price, i should not pass by the community work to have a decent immersion.

after that, you can mod it to what you want

Ok, I understand your point better.

I would like to see more hardcore options:

Tracers only appear for weapons that historically would have used them.

Locked camera - to move the camera during planning and replay you have to select a unit and then you can't move the camera more than, say, 100 metres in any direction from the selected unit's position. I wouldn't limit it vertically.

Plotting limits - moves can only be plotted a maximum of, say, 300m from the unit's position to limit the amount of line of sight checking that can be done on the map during planning.

These wouldn't appeal to everyone but they might particularly appeal to people like me who only play the AI.

The camera and plotting suggestions might appeal to H2H players who want a game where their units can not be so easily scouted out by noise during replay, and which would introduce challenges with terrain management.

I would add a lock toggle limiting a player to level one (maybe and two) for those who really want to play Iron. (Why not?)

In terms of increasing the "ease of play" we need a revamp of the ACQUIRE command and how it works (ie: from any adjacent unit), plus selectable waypoints and lines so one can instantly select a different unit without having to go back to its location (will definitely need this as the maps get larger).

A quick and easy visual way to ID teams from the same squad so one can keep em in formation and not get em all mixed up with other squads. A colored outline maybe?

for me, it's not complete cause all the rifles sounds same,

Well there are issues with having too many individual sound files. I personally would rather have a game that preforms well, that is the compromise that BFC have made: less individual sounds better performance.

the grass is to bright and

Nope - grass is spot on - I don't want to see it changed.

Yes, I realize that you are not alone we have heard this before but when I go outside on a nice summers day that's what it looks like to me.

the tracers are laser,

Tracers follow the bullet paths and there are no lasers in game, so... Are you saying that you don't like the amount of tracers during combat because it is unrealistic? You might even be right. The problem with not having them is you would have a tough time figuring out what was going on. So really they are there for game play reasons - so you can have some idea what is going on. Who are your men firing at? How much incoming fire is there? How much outgoing?

the flames seems out of a 1998 game.

Not sure what the issue is here. Do you mean flames on burning vehicles or the newly added smoldering terrain?

That's my opinion...

OK, these are mine :)

Out of the box the things you are unhappy with I am actually very happy with. Other than the unique sound issue you can mod things to make it better for you.

Well there are issues with having too many individual sound files. I personally would rather have a game that preforms well, that is the compromise that BFC have made: less individual sounds better performance.

You can only mod in sounds if a weapon as a unique sound file (the file itself doesn't have to be unique, but it needs its own location in memory) so right now you can't even fully mod in unique weapon sounds for all weapons.

Tracers follow the bullet paths and there are no lasers in game, so... Are you saying that you don't like the amount of tracers during combat because it is unrealistic? You might even be right. The problem with not having them is you would have a tough time figuring out what was going on. So really they are there for game play reasons - so you can have some idea what is going on. Who are your men firing at? How much incoming fire is there? How much outgoing?

Most of the tracers are for useability.

Not sure what the issue is here. Do you mean flames on burning vehicles or the newly added smoldering terrain?

The quality of all flame graphics are poor.

The sounds number would'nt change, the fact is the files are here, but only the same one with another name...:(

Nope - grass is spot on - I don't want to see it changed.

Yes, I realize that you are not alone we have heard this before but when I go outside on a nice summers day that's what it looks like to me.

I'm French, and i go outside more than palying on my PC and no grass is so bright that it make me cry :D

The tracers are not tracers, the are laser point... and you use them as that, that's all...

flames on burning vehicles are realy ugly for a 2014 game, that's all

Vanilla grass sucks. Modded grass rocks. I share your view that something more reasonable/plausible should be done then current vanilla grass (maybe grass's color where devs come from is like that, dunno, but definitely not EU grass). Fortunately later games like CMFI and CMRT have much better stock terrain textures.

Vanilla sound is just average. Modded sounds rock. Where you see vanilla have two different weapon sound files but both sounding the same sound mods take care of that so that you hear two distinct weapons. Unfortunately not all weapons got assigned their own sound files. Quality of sound should be made better too. Both this things should be indeed improved upon. Will definitely make many of us happier.

All bullets in CM appear tracer-like. Stop being funny talking about laser points, hehe.They are there precisely 'cos they make your combat awareness tenfold better then without in such a game. There is a way to get rid of bullet tracers I think by applying alpha channel to them, not sure if someone has done it yet. What I know though I don't use vanilla bullet tracers but modded ones which are subdued and less "into your face".

Vanilla flames and other effects are indeed sub-par. Thus I use modded ones which make rather big improvement but sure no fancy shmancy stuff due to game engine limitations. Devs said if they would add flying particles and other gorgeousness current comps would get to a halt since underneath game calculations are already so tasking for the comps. It's a trade off I suppose. Currently no serious sims sport gorgeous graphics which is the same case for your beloved Command: Modern Air Naval Operations game. Correct?

I think you will become a much more happier French citizen if you go mod hunting. When you'll settle with them days will become brighter.

What's with you French? I came across quite some in my life and many of you seem to be quite direct/blunt and come out as rude for us non Frenchies. Cultural differences thing I guess.

I'm French, and i go outside more than palying on my PC and no grass is so bright that it make me cry :D

LOL I just have higher tolerance for green then - no tears at my house :D

The tracers are not tracers, the are laser point... and you use them as that, that's all...

Ah got it. It could be considered to easy to back trace shots and see who is firing. We have a lot of power as the overlord player.

flames on burning vehicles are realy ugly for a 2014 game, that's all

I don't strongly disagree - I have Vin's flame mod.