Another Wish List Thread: What do you want to see in the CM:BN Battlepack?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random maps implemented in QBs. Combined arms force selection in QB. Integrated multiplayer lobby with rooms, chairs (spots) and ability to go afk and be alerted when someone enters the room.

Ok enough with the pipe dreams... no, wait... just one more. Multi-multi player. 2 players + per side. Or, if it needs some time to figure out the odds and ends, 2 player coop missions.

----------------

Yes I know; this doesn't fit the guidelines laid out by BF with regards to their module system. But f--- it; someone's gotta say it. I have no time for an odds and sods type release. Spend some time to tweak the engine a bit. I'd hope [that] revenue [is] up enough to at least allow some changes to the infallible master plan. I'd give an arm and a nut to play PBEM co-op multiplayer with a friend, even if its only a reinforced platoon vs the AI only.

How about a Battlepack that is set up like a set of linked campaigns, call it a meta-campaign, that tracks one unit across the entirety of WWII. Something similar to the BoB where you take the 506 PIR with all of its historical original soldiers and play through 20-30 scenarios in a 4-5 linked campaigns. if a soldier dies, he is gone and replaced with a green recuit in the next campaign. If a soldier survives a campaign, his experience gets a bump. If he is wounded, he is out the current campaign or maybe next campaign but comes back in a later campaign. You kill Major Winters, the campaign ends, the game is locked, and you are suspended from the BF forum for 3 months.

I believe BF could open an entire new business line if it went down this path in addition to its current path. Would probably not require too much of the developers time. By employing more of the excellent scenario developers in this community they could pump out an "Unit Pack" probably once a quarter. They could even use this revenue stream to fund the fixing of campaigns with features and upgrades coming out every 2nd or third "Unit Pack".

Thoughts?

- Hobo

I would like to see a rule/control that determines at what range the units start to engage targets.

It would be graded from max effective range of the weapon to zero. That way units will not be wasting ammo popping off rounds at too long a range or when range is set low the unit will quietly sit and observe until something is danger close. This helps with ambush situations of troops or tanks also!

My two cents,

Mech.Gato

I would like to see a rule/control that determines at what range the units start to engage targets.

It would be graded from max effective range of the weapon to zero. That way units will not be wasting ammo popping off rounds at too long a range or when range is set low the unit will quietly sit and observe until something is danger close. This helps with ambush situations of troops or tanks also!

My two cents,

Mech.Gato

Isn't that what the covered arc command is for?

Hey Doodlebug,

I would like this so units could look in the direction I want them to observe instead of sticking a covered arc off to one side where their attention is really focused or having a tiny covered arc to their front and having something stumble through it triggering fire from the unit and giving their position away.

Yes I know HQ units can sit quietly and observe but if I use the units under that command in a similar fashion then I can use them observe a larger area.

Mech.gato

Hey Doodlebug,

I would like this so units could look in the direction I want them to observe instead of sticking a covered arc off to one side where their attention is really focused...

I'm not sure what you're getting at, here. Target Arc doesn't affect which way your infantry look, just what they'll shoot at. They always maintain 360degree awareness. So you can stop them firing beyond their effective range (say) by setting a 360 arc to whatever you think their effective range is. Or 1m (effectively zero). If you want them to orient themselves using the terrain, relative to a specific direction, that's not the direction they arrive at that waypoint facing, a near-180 TA in the appropriate direction with the appropriate range will effectively add a "Face" command. Once they're settled, you can go back to a circular arc if you want.

If you want them to look in a given direction, why would you put an arc "off to one side"?

...or having a tiny covered arc to their front and having something stumble through it triggering fire from the unit and giving their position away.

If you give them a 1m arc, anything "stumbling through" it is going to have spotted them anyway.

Yes I know HQ units can sit quietly and observe but if I use the units under that command in a similar fashion then I can use them observe a larger area.

So give them short (self-defense range - the range at which you can be pretty certain they'll get spotted by an infantry unit anyway, say) TA. What is it about that short arc that you think doesn't do exactly what you're asking for?

Mech.gato

I'm not sure what you're getting at, here. Target Arc doesn't affect which way your infantry look, just what they'll shoot at. They always maintain 360degree awareness. So you can stop them firing beyond their effective range (say) by setting a 360 arc to whatever you think their effective range is. Or 1m (effectively zero). If you want them to orient themselves using the terrain, relative to a specific direction, that's not the direction they arrive at that waypoint facing, a near-180 TA in the appropriate direction with the appropriate range will effectively add a "Face" command. Once they're settled, you can go back to a circular arc if you want.

If you want them to look in a given direction, why would you put an arc "off to one side"?

If you give them a 1m arc, anything "stumbling through" it is going to have spotted them anyway.

So give them short (self-defense range - the range at which you can be pretty certain they'll get spotted by an infantry unit anyway, say) TA. What is it about that short arc that you think doesn't do exactly what you're asking for?

Mech.gato

Reading down some of these requests, I don't think 'battle pack' is really meant to be a synonym for 'rewrite the whole game engine'. :)

Somehow this thread reminds me of a joke: An old fellow is walking down a city street one night when he's stopped by a streetwalker. She whispers in his ear "For twenty bucks I'll do whatever you want." The old man ponders for a moment then whispers into her ear "Paint my house."

Reading down some of these requests, I don't think 'battle pack' is really meant to be a synonym for 'rewrite the whole game engine'. :)

Somehow this thread reminds me of a joke: An old fellow is walking down a city street one night when he's stopped by a streetwalker. She whispers in his ear "For twenty bucks I'll do whatever you want." The old man ponders for a moment then whispers into her ear "Paint my house."

$20? Either the recession is biting, or that's a very old joke ;)

LOL yeah but we have multiple general wish list threads going. Someone started this one specific to the battle pack and it stuck to that topic for a dozen posts and then went into lala land. Which is fine. I am sure BFC loves hearing all our wishes. I was kind of hoping this thread might stay on a more narrow focus and leave the lala land requests for the other pie in the sky threads. But what can you do everyone has their own idea of what to do.

LOL yeah but we have multiple general wish list threads going. Someone started this one specific to the battle pack and it stuck to that topic for a dozen posts and then went into lala land. Which is fine. I am sure BFC loves hearing all our wishes. I was kind of hoping this thread might stay on a more narrow focus and leave the lala land requests for the other pie in the sky threads. But what can you do everyone has their own idea of what to do.

A dozen posts before heading for la la land is pretty good for any of these posts. ;)

On topic, I'm hoping to see the venerable Sdkfz-7 myself :)

On topic, I'm hoping to see the venerable Sdkfz-7 myself :)

Ah yes good one. I'm thinking it hasn't made it into the game yet is because it would be expected for it to perform one of its historical roles of towing the big anti-tank guns. Including the Sdkfz-7 would highlight the fact they can't be moved yet in the game, and maybe they don't want to do that.

Ah yes good one. I'm thinking it hasn't made it into the game yet is because it would be expected for it to perform one of its historical roles of towing the big anti-tank guns. Including the Sdkfz-7 would highlight the fact they can't be moved yet in the game, and maybe they don't want to do that.

Possibly, but we can justify just about anything ;) and could always reason that the shortage of transport vehicles "cursed Amerikaner airforce !" means this one has been pressed into more "front line" service.

But it apparently had a very large ammo capacity, so that might be useful.

• 1 month later...

And in further ironic fashion - BF release a vehicle pack and people ask 'where's the missions?'