[RELEASED]Juju's 'The railyard at Pitrovsk' scenario and more

Juju

The final phase of the Bolshevist's summer offensive has lightly crashed upon the eastern edge of Poland. The enemy supply lines are greatly overextended and the moment for our powerful counter-strike has arrived. As a precursor for the assault, you must seize the currently intact railyard at Pitrovsk in western Belarus!

Playable as Axis vs AI (Axis attack/70 minutes/clear/day/medium/town). Not tested for H2H play.

The many mods in this pack are tagged to this scenario (and thus will not show up in others). Any mod that is NOT scenario-specific is also available separately at GreenasJade's or the Repository.

Read the !README! for full info and instructions!

Some of the mods in this pack are new and also available at GreenasJade right now. They are:

- Juju's Red Thunder fences: New textures for all fences in CM:RT (picket, stick, wire & wood).

- Juju's Red Thunder flavor objects: A small collection of new flavor object textures: bench1, bench2, chicken coop (medium & large), coal bin, chicken hutch, dog kennel, two more oil drums.

- Juju's Red Thunder Soviet posters: 31 new Soviet posters. These replace and add to all (both German and Soviet) posters in the game. The game displays these randomly.

- Juju's Red Thunder bridge pack: All six of my previously released Red Thunder bridge mods, now in one convenient download.

Many thanks go out to TanksaLot, Umlaut, Kohlenklau, Superdave and Mjkerner for mod- & scenario testing, encouragement, advice and mod contributions. Couldn't have done it all without you, so thanks guys!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Juju ;) i've download it at Greenjade.com, but where's the scenario...?...only have the 7z file when i download "The railyard at Pitrovsk"...:confused:

After you unzip the 7z file, it will unpack the items. The .btt file will be in the root folder, look for the "The railyard at Pitrovsk.btt" file.

Question re installing the JuJu mods and how Mod Folders work...

JuJu's instructions say something like "remove other mods first".

I created a mod folder called ZZ DESIRED MODS in my regular Z folder. If I put the JuJu mod folder in that folder will that ensure that the JuJu mods are loaded last and so I don't have to actually remove any existing mods?

When I did this and loaded the scenario I could immediately see new JuJu mods. However, I didn't seen any "railcars" on the tracks. So, am unsure if all JuJu's mods are appearing which I use this method.

Question re installing the JuJu mods and how Mod Folders work...

JuJu's instructions say something like "remove other mods first".

I created a mod folder called ZZ DESIRED MODS in my regular Z folder. If I put the JuJu mod folder in that folder will that ensure that the JuJu mods are loaded last and so I don't have to actually remove any existing mods?

When I did this and loaded the scenario I could immediately see new JuJu mods. However, I didn't seen any "railcars" on the tracks. So, am unsure if all JuJu's mods are appearing which I use this method.

Erwin, first of all, in this case you don't have to make sure the mods are loaded last. They are tagged, meaning they will show up in the game wherever they are in the mod folder.

The reason I ask to remove terrain mods is because this pack only has mods for some terrain elements, that might visually clash with other installed terrain mods that are not covered in this pack.

Finally, the reason you're not seeing the railcars is because they are made out of two heavily modded Studebaker trucks and are thus considered 'units,' therefore you'll have to spot them first! :-)

Thank you JuJu Many TanksaLot, Umlaut, Kohlenklau, Superdave (UltraSuperDave?) and Mjkerner for this outstanding effort. I am blown away by the elegance and thoroughness of this masterful scenario / mod combination.

Started it last PM. Played more today. Nice delivery of assets. As usual I did not follow the mission briefing. :)

Tonight I realized I should maybe re read it more carefully. To my surprise I am using both suggested axis of attack routes! This is going to be lots of :D

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Really like this scenario. The map and the mods look absolutely fabulous, dahlink.

But, it has some horrible surprises and playing WEGO ELITE I ran out of troops and tanks with about 25 minutes to go. :(

Probably partially due to my impatience (esp when it takes 8+ minutes to get mortar support), but I think it tough with enemy in "perfect spots" for keyholed ambushes. I also had a hard time figuring out what to do with 81mm and 120mm mortars (with few smoke rounds) in an almost urban environment.

I really want to play it again, but I fear that this otherwise excellent scenario may not be very replayable once you know what to expect. So, I have to wait till my Alzeimer's kicks in... :(

Playing Elite Real Time with pauses. Approached the Rail yard from both suggested attack on the tactical map. Push was going well till I failed to account for some Russian defenders who promptly adjusted my force numbers out of order ;)

Will restart and try again. Fun scenario.

Don't know if this is just a Mac issue :confused: but I needed to change the mod tag to "TRaP" to match the mod tags on the mod files for the scenario.

Great looking art work. Increases the scenario engagement substantially.

Thanks

Thanks guys!

Push was going well till I failed to account for some Russian defenders who promptly adjusted my force numbers out of order ;)

Heh, wonder if it was the squad that was on specific ambush duty. ;)

Don't know if this is just a Mac issue :confused: but I needed to change the mod tag to "TRaP" to match the mod tags on the mod files for the scenario.

You mean you had to go into the scenario file to change the tag from 'trap' to 'TRaP'? Then, yes, that is very odd. Especially since when I tried to use caps in the tag (in the scenario, not the modded files) the mods stopped working altogether!

The barrels are (or rather were) for wine. Alcohol points. It's a wonder the old coot shoots as straight as he does. ;)

@Erwin, no harm in trying again. Did you feel the scenario was too hard or that you should simply have done things differently?

******SPOILERS*******

Firstly, it's a very interesting scenario and it looks great with your mods.

I had two (perhaps personal) problems. 1) My inherent impatience. 2) I could not find a use for the initial arty as there was hardly any smoke, and the 81mm and 120mm are not that effective vs units in buildings. I couldn't see any obvious exposed areas to bombard.

My plan was to try and get around the flanks of the objective and attack from the rear. As your defenders were placed well back, it took time to scout out with the right and left flank platoons. (I loved the Hermit btw. The team WIA one of my guys, but I was then able to suppress and hunt down the Russian snipers after that using sensible tactics. I loved that as it was like a mini-scenario within the larger scenario.)

It wasn't until halfway through the map that I met serious resistance. By then, lulled into a false sense of security it was like hitting a brick wall of well-placed enemy ambushes and I took a lot of casualties. It appears that trying to flank via the map edges is not viable.

I still couldn't find a use for the mortars as I didn't see or realize just how many Russians were hiding in the woods on my right flank until after I killed em and occupied the woods. I beat up the Russians in the woods on my right flank and killed the ATG there with inf and two AC's. But, it cost me a lot of inf and an AC.

On my left flank I almost got past the town, and then turned inwards, but ran into fierce resistance there.

Basically those blocking forced killed enuff of my guys that I didn't have enuff to actually attack the railyard. Also, my two breach teams got themselves killed thru my carelessly using them for support. They need to be protected.

I wasn't sure where the tanks and mortars would arrive (the AC's arrive on the other side of the river so don't require a bridge). As it was, when the tanks arrived, they were not in position to help my inf and I was scared to move them forward until the front of the town was cleared. So, I had to reposition a left flank platoon to ensure ther were no ambushes aimed at the bridges.

But, as the attack options are limited, I feel that replaying will not have the wonderful elements of surprise that you designed in. I rarely replay single scenarios. (One often has to replay campaign missions just to get to the end.)

If I play again I would be more careful until the tanks arrive, and attempt to take the front of the town, covered by the two tanks and HMG's, so that the tanks and inf could work together - and make for the RR yard trying to ignore/isolate all the Russians in the town. I think they are a decoy/distraction from the main objectives.

On the right flank, smoke would have been useful to shield an attack with the 3 AC's and inf on the front of the RR yard from the ATG and inf positioned in the woods.

It seems that this is one of those rare scenarios where it makes more sense to bulldoze in thru the front and work one's way systematically to the rear (rather than maneuver around the flanks).

Once the on map mortars appear, they do have more smoke, and had I waited for them I could have used that smoke. But, by the time they arrived all German units were committed and casualties were already high.

It would have been very useful in the briefing to explain that the on map mortars would arrive with more smoke, and on trucks with lots of ammo (one always needs more 9mm). Also where the trucks and the tanks would arrive so one could better plan ahead.

Otherwise, I would say this is one of the better scenarios I have seen.

PS: So what's the deal with 'trap' vs 'TRaP'??? I thought I was seeing the mods ok, but not sure if I missed some.

Thanks guys!

Heh, wonder if it was the squad that was on specific ambush duty. ;)

You mean you had to go into the scenario file to change the tag from 'trap' to 'TRaP'? Then, yes, that is very odd. Especially since when I tried to use caps in the tag (in the scenario, not the modded files) the mods stopped working altogether!

The barrels are (or rather were) for wine. Alcohol points. It's a wonder the old coot shoots as straight as he does. ;)

I suspect it was a squad that was on specific ambush duty. Good work.

Yes, I had to go into the scenario file to change the tag from 'trap' to 'TRaP'. No big deal but that was the only way it would work. I think the mod tag was 'trap' all small case but the mod tags were 'TRaP'. Changing the mod tag worked fine for me.

I get Alcohol points:) I try to avoid guys that have a drink in one hand and a gun in the other ;)

I'm on a mac as well. I see only half of the railcar mod it seems to be a mix of truck and railcar very odd looking. Also I see the barrel which is supposed to have a spill but I see no spill.

How do you change the Scenario Mod tag? I went into scenario editor and can bring up the mod tag trap but cannot change it?

Help would be much appreciated :)