[RELEASED]Juju's 'The railyard at Pitrovsk' scenario and more

Juju

Was that on you 1st play through rocketman? Great job!

It was actually. First third of the scenario beat me up badly to the point where I felt it was almost impossible to win. But a very successful breach team got me an entry into the railyard that proved to be the pivotal point that allowed me to pour fire at a lot of soviet units.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive! Well done rocketman.

My fourth attempt (all Elite RT - 3 and 4 w/pauses) finally took the train yard and the marketplace. My 1st attempt was the double pincher move recommended. That didn’t work for me. Modified slightly on my 2nd round with better result but my guys bogged down to a crawl after unexpected “market resistance.

My 3rd round with much better results concentrating on a fast central approach was going well till I got fixated on a couple of local firefights. The scenario details were great to watch. I lost track of my RT troops in other fights and decided I need to be more disciplined with pauses on round #4. That worked. TV with @ 20 minutes to go. Had some localized Soviet surrenders. My breach teams were used moving through walls inside the train yard. The Armored Cars are invaluable in this scenario.

Unfortunately the Mad Hermit got away to drain his barrels and fight again. Thankful Juju survived :)

Cool stuff, thanks.

[MILD SPOILERS]

Wow, Buzz, you took the entire marketplace? As you may have noticed I give (what I call) 'kudos' points for attempting to take it, which I thought was heroic enough by itself to earn the player some points. I never expected people to actually pull it off, though.

There are lots of ways to tackle this attack. And trying to bypass certain areas can result in having to fight those same defenders in another place, only this time in a crossfire, if you're unlucky or rash.

Both the armor and breach teams are indeed invaluable, and like the briefing says, armor should be used with due care. Ignore that advice and you most likely will be punished for it.

Buzz, I'm curious, did the Mad Hermit get any kills in your game? He only has a very short window of opportunity before he is either killed or succesfully escapes. Had to make him elite to give him even a sporting chance to achieve either (kills/escape).

Oh, And thanks for not getting me killed, btw. ;)

Juju

Cool stuff, thanks.

[MILD SPOILERS]

Wow, Buzz, you took the entire marketplace?

MORE [MILD SPOILERS]

When it got to the end of the battle, there were a few guys still fighting and inflicting hurt but there were mostly panicked troops in the marketplace. I saw the panicked troops running away and I had just completed taking the train so I called Cease Fire @ 20 minutes to go.

As you may have noticed I give (what I call) 'kudos' points for attempting to take it, which I thought was heroic enough by itself to earn the player some points. I never expected people to actually pull it off, though.

I used very concentrated artillery support in town. I moved one of the assault guns in a fast, very aggressive manner on the market place hoping to avoid friendly fire and punish the market merchants of death. It was risky but I got lucky with timing of the movement, artillery support in town with the market and rail yard pushes in tandem. It worked! I was never effective “making groceries” in my first 3 attempts. The marketplace was well designed and did inflict some serious hurt in various ways. Good job with the market set up.

There are lots of ways to tackle this attack. And trying to bypass certain areas can result in having to fight those same defenders in another place, only this time in a crossfire, if you're unlucky or rash.

Absolutely correct. The overlap and defensive force movement was timed well for the pace of the scenario. If you are rash, as I was in 1st attempt and somewhat in 2nd attempt, you will pay for it. I did both times.

Both the armor and breach teams are indeed invaluable, and like the briefing says, armor should be used with due care. Ignore that advice and you most likely will be punished for it.

You definitely need these resources to take the rail yard w/o bleeding your troops to useless. I was amazed at the kills the AC crews put together from their infantry support roles! Made sure I had eyes up front for the AC crews to help them survive. All AC crews did and used almost all their ammunition!

Buzz, I'm curious, did the Mad Hermit get any kills in your game? He only has a very short window of opportunity before he is either killed or succesfully escapes. Had to make him elite to give him even a sporting chance to achieve either (kills/escape).

“It's a wonder the old coot shoots as straight as he does.“;)

I don’t think he got any kills but I am not sure. Maybe one or two? Mad Hermit was killed in the 1st run only. In my other attempts he relocated himself and left the empty wine barrels submerged. He must own a vineyard :-)

Oh, And thanks for not getting me killed, btw. ;)

Kept you in a “Command Position” along with Mr. Nosov, the collaborator. Didn’t want harm to come to the architect of the rail yard. I did unfortunately get your ride knocked off! You had just exited but not a scratch on Juju.

I would recommend playing Railyard at Pitrovsk' in WeGo. The abundance of action was a tough challenge in Elite RT with pauses. I never mind replaying a scenario when it is interesting to look at and well set up. "The railyard at Pitrovsk" is both.

Thanks again Juju and all.