Why Only 2 Campaigns?

Not so, my friend. Sometimes it is best when you are new to a forum community (forum software counts your OP as your 2nd) to familiarize yourself a little with some of the players before your throw around such comments. I can understand wanting more scenarios...nothing wrong with that, but aggressive posts made in ignorance often get the kind of aggressive response yours elicited.

Moderate your tone a bit, and you might be surprised how much help you can get and how much you can learn.

First of all I am not nor ever will be the friend of anyone who posts a troll like response such as yours was and I quote:

"You have the game, right? Why don't you knock one out of the park by crafting a Lvov-Sandomierz campaign, one of the Germans trying to liquidate the Vistula bridgehead, and another covering the Stanislaus operation?

It should be easy. There's a boatload of material out there."

Your last sentence reveals a troll like attitude and requires an unfriendly response which you received. Also, it is impossible to know every person on a forum. How was I to know such a smart a$$ actually knew anything other than how to annoy people.

My post was not aggressive but a simple question and ended with an emoticon implying sadness over two campaigns when there was ample material for more.

Then you make an assumption that everyone is capable of producing scenarios. Obviously it has never occurred to you that there are physical disabilities such as loss of a limb(s) that would make building a campaign extremely difficult.

Next time you make a response in such a flippant manner stop and think whether or not the poster is able to do what for you is such an easy thing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for the briefings, all that is physically required to produce scenarios and campaigns is a mouse. That said, even with Dragon Speak and cut/paste function, I hate doing the briefings.

Edit: on second thought, I should have said "mostly" a mouse. Adding objective and reinforcement names, etc. require the keyboard too. But so does playing the game itself. The fact is, making scenarios is hard work. Making campaigns is tons of hard work. As pointed out already, most are made by the community/unpaid volunteers. 2-3 campaigns per release is par for the CM course.

Before you turn this into a flame type thread.

Jons (which many here are defending) is just as you said, quick to make smart ass Remarks which he thicks he has the right to do.

And you can point that out, but it will not change anything really.

Many point out that you should have known who you were replying too before making a comeback remark.

Well JonS should have maybe gave a new member a little slack before he started his attitude that he loves that he should make remarks to put you in your uninformed place.

Personnally, JonS has as much to fault here if not more than a new guy asking why there was not more content in the game.

really the whole thread should be locked and the subject dropped.

The Reply is, there is more content to all these games, you just need to find it and download it. Almost all the scenarios and campaigns are designed and given to BF free of charge, they load only so much on a base game that is to be sold, additional content from users is available, that is all you need to know. (which is created by their own willingness to do it without any financial gain).

And you after time could learn to do that also, so the game has as much potential as anyone wants to invest in it. It is one of very few that gives you the tools to be abe to make anything you would like.

Plus keep in mind , you are not an active member here if you have not had to take a few sarcastic remarks from JonS. I know I have.

We should come up with a term for it:cool:

blah, blah, blah

I deleted the parts I was going to post. Toughen up your shell! Thicken that carapace! There was nothing wrong with your first post. JonS did make a churlish response, but your second post was a classic! Really. Obviously you could not know JonS' reputation. That made it better!

Don't go getting red over this. Baste yourself in the attention. Think of it as a warm butter bath. Boiling yourself into a frenzy is totally unnecessary. Join the banter: don't hide under a rock.

;)

Ken

I deleted the parts I was going to post. Toughen up your shell! Thicken that carapace! There was nothing wrong with your first post. JonS did make a churlish response, but your second post was a classic! Really. Obviously you could not know JonS' reputation. That made it better!

Don't go getting red over this. Baste yourself in the attention. Think of it as a warm butter bath. Boiling yourself into a frenzy is totally unnecessary. Join the banter: don't hide under a rock.

;)

Ken

Now that is funny.

This following post is no different than mine except it is done by a 'senior member' with quite different responses. The responses on this post is actually what I was expecting since wargaming communities are relatively : http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=116027

As for JonS, I don't give a rat's *** who he is. He needs to learn how to treat people. Having said that, I'm outta here. Lobster out.

This guy is either a troll or has a serious attitude problem. Perhaps both.

"you could only come up with two campaigns?" & "all we got were two campaigns." and then cries that someone else should learn how to treat people. What a douche, good riddance.

Don't worry. He'll try to claw his way back. Sometimes it can seem like a tough roe to hoe, but he'll do swimmingly in the end.

Gawd this is getting really crustacean of you Ken.

Lobster has a point but then I lost it wondering what disability would prevent you from creating scenarios/campaigns while still allowing you to play the game.

Ps I am also feeling left out as I have yet to get a smart ass comment from JonS yet.

Jon, show me some love man.

Lobster has a point in that some/many of JonS's posts should include an [ironic] tag ;) Stumbled on that one before but it is just an internet forum, get over it and be like a Lobster, instead of a soft-shell crab :D

Besides, the two campaigns are lengthy. I haven't played for some time due to RL situation but hoping to pick up my PBEMs and campaign soon. I am in the 3rd or 4rd USSR campaign mission fighting hard and I have already invested a LOT of hours in it. Many more to go, apart from the German campaign quite a number of scenario's. Over time, the amount of content will only increase. As of now I am sure I will never be able to play all the CMx2 scenario's/campaigns that I would want to play. There is plenty of CMSF/CMA/CMBN-CW-MG/CMFI-GL content I have coveted but not been able to play due to sheer time shortage.

Those crustacean jokes are pretty funny. I am sure that thereallobster did not inend to land himself in such hot water. Sorry, that was just too hard to resist!:D

Seriously the guy does have a point though it might have been phrased better. When the game was first published a few more BF scenarios and campaigns would have been nice to have. Having said that they do take a lot of work to produce. If Lobbie would like to develop his own scenarios i am sure we would all enjoy playing them.

Ow no, this thread is going to be Peng infested really bad I fear. Don't. Just don't (I am looking at you Yucknodathon) :D

It's Battlefront's fault so many threads are going Peng lately. They've not given us any thing new to talk about (well other than precision artillery etc). We're resorting to beating up on past and present forum members. Marco Bergman, where the hell are those silhouettes?

Mord, get off your butt and get those portraits done!

First of all I am not nor ever will be the friend of anyone who posts a troll like response such as yours was and I quote:

"You have the game, right? Why don't you knock one out of the park by crafting a Lvov-Sandomierz campaign, one of the Germans trying to liquidate the Vistula bridgehead, and another covering the Stanislaus operation?

It should be easy. There's a boatload of material out there."

Your last sentence reveals a troll like attitude and requires an unfriendly response which you received. Also, it is impossible to know every person on a forum. How was I to know such a smart a$$ actually knew anything other than how to annoy people.

My post was not aggressive but a simple question and ended with an emoticon implying sadness over two campaigns when there was ample material for more.

Then you make an assumption that everyone is capable of producing scenarios. Obviously it has never occurred to you that there are physical disabilities such as loss of a limb(s) that would make building a campaign extremely difficult.

Next time you make a response in such a flippant manner stop and think whether or not the poster is able to do what for you is such an easy thing.

Um, wow. I thought I was striking a more gentle, conciliating tone than some others chose.

By the way, the quote you attributed to me was never posted by me, that was someone else.

Finally, I myself suffer from a debilitating physical disability that makes it impossible for me to play Combat Mission with any degree of regularity. I lost 1/3 of my heart twelve years ago. I'm basically a semi running on a lawnmower engine. Most days and weeks I don't have the energy or focus to play.

Therefore I do sympathize that you have lost a limb and it makes life difficult. This comment is not flippant, it is sincere. I don't do flippant. I don't do troll. Never have. People have an inherent dignity, and ought to be treated as such even when sometimes they act in ways inconsistent with that dignity-- barring crime or war. In war, if necessary, you have to kill even a dignified enemy.

Here's hoping you figure things out, return to the forum and become a happy, regular contributor to the community.

Sometimes I suspect a lot of perceived 'blistering attacks' could be mitigated by the generous use of :o:rolleyes: :eek: Sometimes we see a typed-out message and imagine the writer was scowling at us as they typed.

An example: Have a nice day :mad:

See? Now, you're angry with me. :rolleyes:

TheRealLobster,

How long did it take you to play those two campaigns on Elite or Iron? Finished yet?

How about all the scenarios, too?

Ya' know, I just bought a piece of equipment for the shop that came with two attachment accessories. There are a ton more they could have included with it, though. Gosh, I'm kinda' pissed. I can't make those myself. I think they should have just given me everything for free.

I went to their forum and posted my feelings about how, since they could give me all those extra parts for nothing, that they should. Some guy made a jerky remark, saying I should just make the extra parts myself. Jeez. Making stuff like that takes a lot of time and requires a lot of skill. I mean, what a moron! How could he not know how difficult that would be?

And can you believe this: it turns out he's one of their engineers! Well, I don't care who he is. Nobody is going to tell me I shouldn't get difficult, time-consuming, high-quality product for free. ESPECIALLY someone who knows how difficult and time-consuming that high-quality work is!

I love campaigns, but find both of the included ones just too big to be fun. It's probably just me, but I get tired of managing more than about a company of infantry and 15-20 vehicles of all types at any given time. So, yes to more campaigns, but please, make them the friendly forces a bit smaller.

Making campaigns shorter, with fewer units, but having more than two campaigns included in a module is a perfectly reasonable request, I think.

Is there any word out on "Battle Packs" (like ASL packs containing scenarios) containing such content? I think I remember reading that BF was thinking about doing that. Something in the $20 range, IIRC.

Couple of random thoughts:

Peng-like thread disintegration: I feel your pain. But, as a beta, I see so much more than you. If you only know how close TheReal(space)Lobster was to the next release, you'd cut him some slack. ;)

Posters and emoticons: There are a lot of internet warriors who are a bit more milquetoast in real life. Walter Mitty has nothing on these guys. The liberal use of emoticons can help ensure clarity. But not in JonS' case.

Game content: I'd love to see more. Really. Having attempted my own campaign (never released) for CMSF (it was a bitchin' fun idea with insane branching and multiple command decisions leading to real battlefield results...I may get back to it w/CMSF2) I am only too cognizant of how much work and skill it takes for a QUALITY battle/campaign. Anything released by BFC MUST be playable by different sides/approaches. (Wego, vs. AI, HtH, etc.) As well, the quality must be top-notch. That means time. Which on-going development project should be delayed? Yeah.

Finally, the open nature of the CM engine allows ANYONE to create/edit ANY battle. So, if we get a bunch together to create a $20 battle pack, how long till every battle is freely available to everyone? There is no money in the battle pack model due to the power of the editor. (Again, any battle file can be sent to anyone else.)

But I'd still like more...

Ken

Ken, I was thinking they could limit access like they do with demo scenarios. Those don't play in the full game if you copy-paste them right? I know they usually release them in versions usable in the regular game, but couldn't they limit things for the action packs? Or is that too messy a system to initiate?

Ken, I was thinking they could limit access like they do with demo scenarios. Those don't play in the full game if you copy-paste them right?

I guess the system works the other way round: the demo will just load those scenarios that come with it. So not the scenario is special somehow.

"There's a boatload of material out there."

Your last sentence reveals a troll like attitude and requires an unfriendly response which you received.

ROFL. Sensitive wee soul, aren't you.

I do agree with you, though, that the author of that sentence 'requires an unfriendly response'.