What luck!

I had an amazing bit of luck in my current game. My Tiger was engaging a Maxim-MG nest on a small hill some 800 m away. One round went high and I heard a sound that oddly enough sounded like metal getting twisted out of shape. But I thought it was a glitch in the game to make such a sound. I skipped to watch the action at another part of the battlefield. But when the action stopped I noticed a billowing cloud of black smoke from a treeline behind the nest. Apparently the stray round had taken out a hidden and as of yet unspotted tank. What rotten luck :eek:

Can't wait to get over there to spot what kind of tank it was.

Please share your fantastic stories of having a stroke of luck, or bad luck...

(Not to be a pessimist, but that billowing smoke could be from a jeep or truck. If you were firing HE at a MG nest, it would have to have been lucky indeed to kill a tank.)

Speaking of luck, I still recall the luckiest hit I ever had. It was in CMAK, way back in the last century, and the final round of my artillery strike went through the roof of a StuG during the last 3 seconds of the final turn of the game. This flipped the victory location to me, and I won by a handful of points.

My most extraordinarily lucky event went as follows :

My luckless opponent brought a Tiger tank to our QB ME.

And all my men were wittering in fear of course, and trying to hide.

But I do have a brave recon unit with a bazooka. And they're within 180m or so of its flank, so it's a long shot ( in both senses ), but possible.

So they fire ! And it's long, sailing over the Tiger and exploding in the distance. And they fire again ! And it's long, sailing over the Tiger and exploding in the distance.

Then they're ready to fire again. And they fire ! And it's long, sailing over the Tiger and exploding in the distance.

Clearly aim adjustment was not in these guys' training.

Last shot since they only have 4 rounds.

Fire ! And it's long ! Sailing over the Tiger and exploding in the distance !! :(

But wait ! What's this ?

A PanzerIV ... bailing out ... behind the Tiger ... :eek:

Yep, the last long round hit and destroyed it ! :D

No one in my army even saw it before it was KO'd

rocketman,

CMBO (1st CMx1 game ever for CMx2/3 only types here) Beta Demo. Forget which scenario, but I was the US, was in dire straits (near certainty of loss), and here comes a Tiger I trundling inexorably to the VL and a win. Crack! goes the shot from a wooden building to its right, practically a shed. Out flies an M9 series AT rifle grenade (only one I had), smack into the side of the normally impenetrable (by AT rifle grenade) turret. Ah! But Fate decreed otherwise. Weak Point Penetration! Pistol port, mayhap? Result?

Dead Tiger and royally ticked off opponent!

Regards,

John Kettler

Back in CMBO, my buddy and I were playing a hotseat battle.

He was playing the US and I was playing the germans.

It was a pretty small battle, and we had agreed on buying no Tanks, only vehicles and armoured cars.

So I bought a Puma... It ate up most of my points so I only had a enough for a platoon.

My buddy bought several platoons... and one Jeep with a .50 cal...

Stormed right up behind my puma as I was advancing and riddled it with hot lead from the rear.

It was not my best day :(

(Not to be a pessimist, but that billowing smoke could be from a jeep or truck. If you were firing HE at a MG nest, it would have to have been lucky indeed to kill a tank.)

:( I thought so too after posting, considering the HE loadout. But isn't the sound different for a tank getting taken out (louder, more "metal twisting"), than a jeep/truck (more of an explosion)? Or is it my imagination that is tricking me?

Sure, just send me $500 in small bills, and I will send you some in a discrete brown paper package.

As soon as General Kambeesie in Nigeria deposits his fortune in my bank account (the one that I gave him the requested access information for), I'll be sure to send you those bills!

I have stories, but mostly on the receiving end. So not a joy to share.

But the one that still sticks out the most is losing one of only two panthers I had in a game against a hoard of Americans

I had them pretty much stalled in their attack and had this tank gunning down anything that moved in the center of the map.

Then out of a hedge in front of me about 220 meters away a bazooka round sails, there was so much arch to it, when it missed my turret after passing through a tree, it penetrated the back deck of the engine area and then a massive explosion, all killed.

It is posted her somewhere, It was back when cmbn was first out.

I am not sure if they would take that shot now, not sure what the max. is set for

I was playing a CMFI scenario against Bil H., and he landed an 81mm mortar round on the turret top of one of my Mk IVs - catastrophic kill. Same salvo killed an Infantry Platoon Leader, and one other round (of 5 or so) killed an entire INF squad - every man.

In CMBO I once had a mortar round go into the open hatch of a Stuart which totaled it. In either CMBN or CMFI I had a buttoned Sherman get hit on the turret roof by an 81mm mortar round which knocked it out and caused the crew to abandon it in a panicked state after having one heavy and one or two light casualties. In a recent game of CMRT a round from a 76mm battery barrage struck and knocked out a Pz. IV. Since I didn't have eyes on it at the time, I don't know what part of the tank was struck.

Michael

In a CMBN pbem match I have going on right now, I had a broken aa crew being attacked by a squad of Canadians. One of the Canadians was trying to throw a grenade when one of the two men left in my aa crew shot him. The grenade fell at his feet taking out two more men. One those guys was also trying to throw a grenade and his also fell at his feet taking out one more man. So one rifle shot took out 4 of my opponents men and broke his attack.

In a CMBN pbem match I have going on right now, I had a broken aa crew being attacked by a squad of Canadians. One of the Canadians was trying to throw a grenade when one of the two men left in my aa crew shot him. The grenade fell at his feet taking out two more men. One those guys was also trying to throw a grenade and his also fell at his feet taking out one more man. So one rifle shot took out 4 of my opponents men and broke his attack.

!!!!:eek::D