New movement order "HUNT reverse" ?

Hello...

As there are 3 slots still avaliable in the current UI in the MOVEMENT ORDER section. I was thinking that perhaps we could put in an request for some additional movement-orders in future upgrades...

The first one that comes to mind would be a HUNT order that works the same way as the current one but instead of HUNTING forward...This one would order the AFV to do a REVERSE move in HUNT-mode...

Backing up and halting when they have a target oppertunity...

Would this be USEFUL or NOT ? What's your oppinion ?

also...

Do you have a suggestion for some other MOVEMENT order that could be added in one of these 3 emty slots ?

Would be really nice to get some kind of fast, aggressive and not ending-on-contact version of 'hunt' for infantry that could be used for clearing houses for example, maybe with increased probability of grenade use?

I agree with this. Also there should be a way to get infantry inside buildings fast and agressive, something akin to blast command but with throwing a hand grenade/flashbang (for modern conflicts) through the door instead of blowing up the wall, upon which the entire squad/team storms in guns blazing.

Another thing i would like is a hold fire command, using Hide kinda defeats observation.

Yes...Some kind of ASSULT BUILDING order would be a good addition...

Maybe also some kind of CONTINUES MOVE order or perhaps an add-on toggle to all movement-orders that would tell the troops NOT to stop and reorg at every waypoint but rather just move through them.

Would be very good when you have to put a waypoint in a danger area (in the middle of e street for example)...don't stop here...move through as fast as you can...The rest of the guys will catch up...

I agree with this. Also there should be a way to get infantry inside buildings fast and agressive, something akin to blast command but with throwing a hand grenade/flashbang (for modern conflicts) through the door instead of blowing up the wall, upon which the entire squad/team storms in guns blazing.

Using a waypoint just outside the building with an area target command on the building (and a 15-30 second pause) will usually get some suppressive fire and a few grenades chucked in before your guys enter. They will still enter with the standard 'quick' movement logic after that (or you can use assault, but that has its own drawbacks), but is has proven moderately effective for entering buildings.

Another thing i would like is a hold fire command, using Hide kinda defeats observation.

Kuri...

I'm not sure if you are aware of the 'trick' to use a very small circular COVER ARC (select cover arc and hold down the shift key)...Or when you want to specify their facing...just use a small regular COVER ARC.

This will work atleast most of the times...You can unhide your guys and they will not fire (atleast until the enemy get very close)...

I realise there are probably workaround for these behaviours, otherwise there would be a far bigger outcry to get them. Still a relative noob at this series, so i don't know all the tricks, like the one with cover arc. As a realtime player i feel like adding a button for these behaviours would reduce my workload a bit, could focus more on the big picture instead.

As a realtime player i feel like adding a button for these behaviours would reduce my workload a bit, could focus more on the big picture instead.

Yes...a button would be the best solution...

In the meentime...Next time you fire up the game...Give the cover arc thing a try...I'm sure you will find you can do it very quickly...

1. Select the unit

2. press K on the keyboard (hotkey for COVER ARC order)

3 hold down the shift key and set the size of the covered arc by moving the mouse. (you can make it very small...)

A new movement command that would cut out a lot of extra work would be "FAST - FIRE FROM HALT" which would be a great aid to Soviet style tank attacks.

Tanks need to advance on FAST and then HALT to fire 1-2 rounds and then move off on FAST again. The current problem is that Soviet tanks fire on the move unless small covered arcs are added and then are 'empty' during the planned halt unless it is made quite long (15 sec for a T34/85). Of course in real life, the tankers would halt when they could see the target area but this is more difficult from CM players who can put a halt in a location that is blind to the proposed target area.

Or is this already coded behind the scenes? I do not think so.

I realise there are probably workaround for these behaviours, otherwise there would be a far bigger outcry to get them. Still a relative noob at this series, so i don't know all the tricks, like the one with cover arc. As a realtime player i feel like adding a button for these behaviours would reduce my workload a bit, could focus more on the big picture instead.

Indeed there is a learning curve. The nice thing about a short circular cover arc is that you can set things up so, as an example, scouts will not shoot at everything they see and give themselves away but if they happen to run trouble at close range they will defend themselves.

If you just had a hold fire command they your scouts might just stand their and get KO'ed.

I realize that using the short circular cover arch is not just one button push but it is a button push and a click. Select the unit press the cover arc command hold the shift key down and click 20-40m away. Done and you have something more powerful and safe for your men.

I would like a command to make stationary units stand on one knee in order to spot better. As it is now they too often go prone and can't spot much at all.

That could be interesting - a "stance" button that as you hit it would cycle through default/prone/kneeling and standing. This could actually help with some of the terrain issues with trenches, crests on those half meter depressions etc.

How does one get a full circle covered arc? I can get a half-circle but I saw in ChrisND twitch videos, him setting a full circle arc. In all my time, I have never been able to find that key. Perhaps I missed it in the manual also.

I also like the idea of a short halt and a fire command, like we do with pause but instead, just add a fire on X for 15 seconds and then continue moving.

I'd like an "Advance" order that moves at Quick speed and situational awareness, but with Hunt "determination to get to the next waypoint". I'd use it when crossing wheat fields so that a unit that draws fire immediately goes prone and drops out of sight. Hunt is all very well, but with the high situational awareness, they cancel their movement at the slightest noise or inkling of enemy presence in the same county, and there are scenarios out there that you simply couldn't complete if Hunt were a default movement in potential "coming under fire" locations, because the grunts couldn't reach their objective in time.

Maybe "Hunt" should be not a move order, but a "state" that can be turned on or off - just like "buttoned" or "hide" satus now ?

A slow, move or fast order with the "hunt" order disabled would work exactly like now.

But if you had the "hunt" enabled, the tank would stop to engage targets, and continue to move when targets are lost or destroyed.

This way we have slow, medium and fast "hunt" orders by means of a single "on/off" button.

To be honest, the button should not be named "hunt" but "stop to engage" :).

There could be other on/off button called "scout" or "contact". When activated, a unit would follow the movement orders only untill it spots a target and then stopped.

It would work just like "hunt" order now.

That could be interesting - a "stance" button that as you hit it would cycle through default/prone/kneeling and standing. This could actually help with some of the terrain issues with trenches, crests on those half meter depressions etc.

"Sudden Strike" had that, and it was useful. For CM I get them to go prone by giving SLOW command to same action square. It works most of the time, but sometimes depending on terrain they eventually want to pop up on a knee.