Russian Appearance CM Black Sea

JMDECC

MOS:96B2P,

You're welcome! Quickly by your standards, but hours on this end. Before all the typing. With you on the toggleable topo contours and want graphic control measures as well.

akd,

Am all ears. From everything I can tell, the Ukrainian Army gets vastly more training time than the Russian Army, gets far more live fire, too. Ditto the Ukrainian Air Force. If there's some fundamental problem with the Ukrainian armed forces, do share. Certainly, the ethnic self-identification is an issue, but I think the lack of defensible terrain would be bigger.

Regards,

John Kettler

Saferight,

I read in the mainstream media that these are not actually normal Russian soldiers but more likely mercenaries or unmarked spec ops. Anyone have better info than this?

Edit: Not that I would complain if mercenaries and special forces are included in CMBS. ;)

Saferight,

I read in the mainstream media that these are not actually normal Russian soldiers but more likely mercenaries or unmarked spec ops. Anyone have better info than this?

Could be but i would assume what iMolsetcats said is more close to the truth. Probably Russian naval infantry coming straight from Sevatstopol.

Heres some more pics

Crimea_crisis_conti_531380a_zpsb7832af9.jpg

crimea-feature_zpse9c1ef34.jpg

That straight out of the 80's look the Ukrainians have is pretty suprising..

• 3 weeks later...

Saferight,

The top pic in your #31 is of a Spetsnaz soldier of some sort, not necessarily from the former GRU. I say this because the sniper weapon (VSS, Special Sniper Rifle) is known by them as Vintorez (sewing machine), fires single shot or auto (hence name from soft stitching sound it makes) and isn't used by line units. Note also the presence of multiple soldiers with suppressed weapons, including one assault rifle which has a folding stock. Again, not line units.

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/rus/vss-e.html

Russian sniper training, possibly with some operational footage. Worth a few minutes of your time.

Additionally, I note another sniper weapon, and it isn't a Dragunov SVD.

Regards,

John Kettler

All a bit flawed really because you're working off the assumption that the game will portray events that are happening right now. Given that BF's announcement about the setting preceded these events and the fact that the modern title that we now know as CMSF was set in a fictional Syrian setting to steer clear of ongoing conflicts, I wouldn't infer too much about what is going on now in relation to how the game may look.

All a bit flawed really because you're working off the assumption that the game will portray events that are happening right now. Given that BF's announcement about the setting preceded these events and the fact that the modern title that we now know as CMSF was set in a fictional Syrian setting to steer clear of ongoing conflicts, I wouldn't infer too much about what is going on now in relation to how the game may look.

The back story doesn't really matter but the environment and units should be modeled as realistically as possible. I'm sure we will see lots of user-made scenarios and campaigns based on real life events. It would be pretty interesting to see a Ukraine defense of Crimea campaign depicting a hypothetical Ukrainian attempt at actually using force to deplete Russian forces taking over Crimea.

• 2 weeks later...

Well since the game is set to portray current events in future by 2017+ the Russian soldier may very well look and dress differently than what is currently shown in pictures from Crimea.

Here is a video showing an inspection by Putin of latest personal equipment of the Russian soldier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SO6oEQABEU