Rough estimation for v3 for CMBN?

poesel

How long do you guess will it take for the v3 update for BN/FI after RT comes out?

Only a rough guess. I'm asking because of planning for new games/tournaments. I guess updating games with major version numbers isn't a good idea. Would like to avoid a parallel install.

Thanks!

I don't think you're going to find any reliable answers from BFC to this. Usually after each release they're busy for some time fixing bugs on new features and solving compatibility issues (you just know there are always some that make it past beta testing), and you can't plan how long that will take.

Plus of course Charles and Phil will be going for a two to six weeks vacation in Acapulco after release, how long they can stay depends on how many pre-orders the game receives.

Thank you Steve for the info update.

I understand upgrading CM:SF to v3 is technically harder but planned as well.

Harder? Well, that's like saying Ireland had a wee bit of an economic setback lately :)

The amount of work is massive. It's why CMSF hasn't benefited from any new features introduced since CMBN. We're not even sure we can keep the existing battles working, though that is absolutely a huge priority for us.

Am I right in thinking that some of the modules for CM:SF might not have to be repurchased?

We have yet to develop our strategy for how people will upgrade. Our intention is to make sure existing CMSF customers are treated generously regarding the costs of upgrading.

Steve

Wow so CMSF is gonna get a 3.0 upgrade, I had no idea. This is great and surprising news to me. I thought CMSF was the cutoff point for the upgrade system. Especially with Black Sea rolling into the modern era on 3.0.

Whoot? Does I understand it right? CMSF will become V3 ready? That would be awesome, especially because I own it with all three modules.

Not exactly. When we announced the Upgrade strategy we specifically stated that CMSF and CMA would not be a part of the program, but everything after would be. This had to do with major shifts in the engine between those two games and CMBN.

What we are talking about here is best described as a "re-release" of Shock Force. The amount of work that requires is far in excess of what a $10 Upgrade covers. But we are not forgetting that CMSF owners have already spent a significant amount of money for the whole series. Therefore, whatever path we take with the re-release of Shock Force existing customers will get treated favorably. What that means, exactly, I can't say because we haven't looked at the technical aspects of bringing CMSF's content into the current game engine and then what sales options there are for it (how to verify existing customers, do we offer more than one type of discount, etc.).

Steve

There will be no "upgrade" for CMSF. We are going to "port" the setting to the newer version of the engine. Which means you'll get 100% the same stuff as all the other CM games. And that is precisely why this is going to be a heavy load of work. TO&E, models, textures, terrain format, etc. have all changed dramatically over the years. There's pretty much nothing in CMSF that won't need significant reworking to get it to function in the current game engine.

Steve

With the amount of work you are describing, I would also be willing to pay full cost for the "new" CMSF even though I own CMSF and all of the modules.

Would it be less work to create new scenarios and campaigns rather than trying to make the old ones work with the 3.0 features? I imagine that new scenarios and campaigns that take advantage of all of the new enhancements (AI triggers) to the engine, would be much more fun and challenging to play, then re-playing the original CMSF scenarios. Also, the scenario designers have learned so much and improved their craft since the early days of CMSF.

Or rather than keeping the existing scenarios/campaigns, release a Pack with new scenarios/campaigns.

Are you expecting a 2014 release? Are there any plans to do the same "port" to CM:Afghanistan?

Not exactly. When we announced the Upgrade strategy we specifically stated that CMSF and CMA would not be a part of the program, but everything after would be. This had to do with major shifts in the engine between those two games and CMBN.

What we are talking about here is best described as a "re-release" of Shock Force. The amount of work that requires is far in excess of what a $10 Upgrade covers. But we are not forgetting that CMSF owners have already spent a significant amount of money for the whole series. Therefore, whatever path we take with the re-release of Shock Force existing customers will get treated favorably. What that means, exactly, I can't say because we haven't looked at the technical aspects of bringing CMSF's content into the current game engine and then what sales options there are for it (how to verify existing customers, do we offer more than one type of discount, etc.).

Steve

Is it possible (meaning, I guess, viable, cost wise!) to make two slightly different versions: the same content of course, but with different install routines, one of which looks for and requires a previous version installed to work? Sell this latter one for a lower cost, and customers will be self selecting; only people with existing SF will buy this version, as only they could achieve a working install of it?

Though I guess you may get some of us buying the wrong one ... :D

As with others, I'd pay "full price" (especially with an existing user discount!) for this, and not expect it for $10 - $15.

There will be no "upgrade" for CMSF. We are going to "port" the setting to the newer version of the engine. Which means you'll get 100% the same stuff as all the other CM games. And that is precisely why this is going to be a heavy load of work. TO&E, models, textures, terrain format, etc. have all changed dramatically over the years. There's pretty much nothing in CMSF that won't need significant reworking to get it to function in the current game engine.

Steve

This is great news.

Thanks for the support! It's because there's so much strength in the support of Shock Force that we're doing the port at all. We'd actually like to do CMA as well, but that's a complicated one because there's three parties involved in it.

The work is moving over all the models, game data, textures, etc. The scenarios/campaigns we're not even sure can be ported. Well, practically anyway. This is something we'll look into after Black Sea is out the door. Personally, I'm hopeful.

As for the pricing, as I said we're going to do some more thinking about it. We want to show some preference for original customers in however we do it. We're just not sure what that is and exactly how we can automate it. Again, we'll check into this after Black Sea is out.

Steve

I got this crazy idea that maybe you could make it possible for us to pay more than the minimum price, maybe even lower the minimum price if it evens itself out in the end (or hopefully a better profit for Battlefront) with those who don't mind to pay a bit more?

I saw some here would pay full price for a CMSF v3.0 "upgrade" (myself included), so that's why I got the crazy idea.

Like kickstarter backwards :)

No, I don't need any special perk or gift that I pay more, for me it's more about being able to support Battlefront to continue develop awesome games like Combat Mission.

Sure I could buy more games and gift them to random people... hmm!

Maybe I am just crazy... :D

Another person in support of the CMSF upgrade. it's what got me started in CM gaming one cold January '09 day off from work, browsing the internet for photos/videos of a Bradley AFV and finding this really neat scene from some video game of a Bradley moving through the streets of some Middle East city. WTF, I say to myself, is this an available game?!? By noon, I had purchased CMSF Marines, played my first scenario, and was starting on my first campaign. I eventually bought all the modules. the Brits were my favorite.

Btw, I played CMSF in R/T only...couldn't get into WEGO. Now, in CM-WWII, I can only do WEGO...need that war movie fix!

My rough guess is roughly 2 months. That's one month to take care of unexpected CMRT issues and to prep the builds for both Normandy and Italy. Then a month of testing, tweaking, and retesting.

Steve

Steve, any rough estimate for the price of a v3 upgrade for Normandy and Italy? Also will "flame units" be introduced in such an upgrade or will it be saved for a pack/module?