Mod question.

Mord

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[makes cooing, comforting sounds]

LOL I feel better already.

There's only ever one default and it can be whatever you wish it to be. Currently you've overwritten the "factory made" textures with Aris's custom textures. Which means you have already done what you say you're scared of :)

The new system is designed so you don't have to overwrite files. Keep Aris's stuff as your default and download other Mods as you see fit. With the new tags they can coexist without any problems. They simply won't be used by a scenario unless they are specified by the scenario via the Editor.

You missunderstood my fear. Let me try again. Right now when you dl and install a mod it works. Us end users do not need to mess with file names. Excellent.

The draw back is that having unit specific markings is now a file copy and move exercise. You have addressed this by allowing modders to tag their uniform, portrait or tank mods by, say, a unit id. Again cool. Now you can design a scenario with appropriate tags and unit specific markings will appear in game - if you have matching mods. Again Excellent.

No fear so far - pretty happy actually.

In all the examples so far people have been using modder names as tags. Now I am getting nervous. Lets say, for the sake of argument, Aris starts tagging all his stuff [aris]. Now I can no longer just dl his stuff and have them work. I have to rename every file to remove the tag or add the [aris] tag to every scenario and QB map and have my opponents do the same so that I can see his vehicles as the default. :eek: Fear.

I imagine ( note, just me guessing ) that any mod will overwrite the default as now and in the same order as now.

So if you have a bunch of [mord] tagged stuff and a bunch of [aris] tagged stuff, you just put the [aris] stuff in a folder called "ZZAris stuff" and it loads last as default.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be here again soon though :)

Nope, because there is no default with the tag [aris]. There is no reason for modder's to tag their mods unless the mods are made specifically for a particular user made scenario/campaign that calls for a custom tag, or are meant to work with some of the existing "global" tags (e.g. [muddy]).

If you want a mod to replace default textures, then everything works the same as it currently does. I can't see any reason for Aris or anyone else to add a personalized tag to his textures except vanity.

Lets say, for the sake of argument, Aris starts tagging all his stuff [aris]. Now I can no longer just dl his stuff and have them work.

I think many modders will offer non-tagged mods for mods, that are intended to be used permanently, too. But if you miss a certain mod without tags, there are file-rename programs that make the renaming easy, especially with a suffix structured with [].

Btw, the opponents' mods have no impact on what you see.

YOU decide how the enemy looks like.

Dear modders, how about a Soviet red nose mod? :D

I think many modders will offer non-tagged mods for mods, that are intended to be used permanently, too.

I hope that tags only get used for scenario specific stuff.

But if you miss a certain mod without tags, there are file-rename programs that make the renaming easy, especially with a suffix structured with [].

Yep got one use it when I need it. Would prefer to *not* have to use it on mods.

Btw, the opponents' mods have no impact on what you see.

I know. My comment about asking my opponent to add tags was to restore current behaviour if all moders start adding their names to files. I was actually meant as a Reductio ad absurdum example.

There are actually two benefits to this system. First is more of a book keeping type. Let's say you download a Panther A mod from Mord, another from MikeyD, and yet a third from Wodin. Currently you have to keep these things in different directories because they have the same name. Or you have to rename them temporarily. Now with the new system you would have something like:

panther a.bmp

panther a [mord].bmp

panther a [mikeyd].bmp

panther a [wodin].bmp

These can coexist anywhere without any extra work on your behalf. Better still, Modders get to get their names to be associated with their work so both the gamer and the Modder can have a connection to the artwork.

This is the message that sparked my fear. Yes, I have my file rename utility on stand by ready to go. :)

However if you want modders to tag things with their names - which is cool BTW. Us players need a way of specifying what tag(s) we want as the default.

Please.

Nope, because there is no default with the tag [aris]. There is no reason for modder's to tag their mods unless the mods are made specifically for a particular user made scenario/campaign that calls for a custom tag, or are meant to work with some of the existing "global" tags (e.g. [muddy]).

If you want a mod to replace default textures, then everything works the same as it currently does. I can't see any reason for Aris or anyone else to add a personalized tag to his textures except vanity.

good point. Honestly for myself beyond weather related tags (mud etc) and regional (Holland for ex) my primary thoughts on making use of this are for specific units for my PBEMS. So if in one PBEM I am playing the 352nd ID and in another the 272nd VG, I'd like the unit mods that Mord/DC have created and the decals that Aris may have for armor if approriate to be displayed. This would allow me to have them through the whole game without me having to move files around everytime I get a turn.

Where I think this has additional potential is for Mods like the ones for CMFI to represent the Ardennes. I actually created a whole separate install of CMFI for our Crete game and another for LLFs Makin scenario.

I can see this feature being very useful for something like the combined mod files I put out for the original CMBN-CW. Those mods were for specific CW divisions/regiments, and contained UI, Vehicle and Uniform elements. Then, if I understand this correctly, you would just install the ones you want once and, because they're tagged appropriately, you would only need to add the reference to the desired formation to the scenario text file. Any time you play the scenario, you have the mods you've associated to it.

It would probably require the creation of a text file with all the naming conventions for ease-of-use for the end-user.

You missunderstood my fear. Let me try again. Right now when you dl and install a mod it works. Us end users do not need to mess with file names. Excellent.

Yup, and that basically hasn't changed for the defaults. You can only have one default and it is always achieved by overwriting (or removing) the previous copy and replacing it with a new one using the same exact file name.

The draw back is that having unit specific markings is now a file copy and move exercise. You have addressed this by allowing modders to tag their uniform, portrait or tank mods by, say, a unit id. Again cool. Now you can design a scenario with appropriate tags and unit specific markings will appear in game - if you have matching mods. Again Excellent.

Yup, this is exactly the case.

In all the examples so far people have been using modder names as tags. Now I am getting nervous. Lets say, for the sake of argument, Aris starts tagging all his stuff [aris]. Now I can no longer just dl his stuff and have them work. I have to rename every file to remove the tag or add the [aris] tag to every scenario and QB map and have my opponents do the same so that I can see his vehicles as the default. :eek: Fear.

What a Modder should do, but doesn't have to, is to create two sets. One would be a "Default Replacement Set" and the other would be a "Selective Use Set". The former would be named the same as the default textures, the latter would have some sort of [tag]. That way you, the end user, doesn't have to rename files. Better for the mod guy to rename the files once instead of every single end user having to do it.

Steve

I can see this feature being very useful for something like the combined mod files I put out for the original CMBN-CW. Those mods were for specific CW divisions/regiments, and contained UI, Vehicle and Uniform elements. Then, if I understand this correctly, you would just install the ones you want once and, because they're tagged appropriately, you would only need to add the reference to the desired formation to the scenario text file. Any time you play the scenario, you have the mods you've associated to it.

It would probably require the creation of a text file with all the naming conventions for ease-of-use for the end-user.

exactly. and once done you can adapt any scenario to use your own text file. this is soooo much better than what I was having to do and means I will get even more mileage out of your mod.

This is a nice feature, but I would prefer also be able to tag a folder. Example instead of placing a tag on a 100 or so Plus files, I simply place them in a folder and tag that folder. To me this would make the tag system more flexible.

What a Modder should do, but doesn't have to, is to create two sets. One would be a "Default Replacement Set" and the other would be a "Selective Use Set". The former would be named the same as the default textures, the latter would have some sort of [tag]. That way you, the end user, doesn't have to rename files. Better for the mod guy to rename the files once instead of every single end user having to do it.

Agreed. I feel better now :) Especially since Aris stated in a post above that he would not be tagging his mods with his name.

Is it possible to add additional 3D elements on the vehicle, like stuff: helmets, weapons bags, foliage ect ...?

it would be nice.

A lot of the base CMBN game vehicles do this (at least with the US) but it doesn't seem to happen much, if at all, with the CW stuff. There is even an CW equipment BMP so I never understood why.

Mord.

This is a nice feature, but I would prefer also be able to tag a folder. Example instead of placing a tag on a 100 or so Plus files, I simply place them in a folder and tag that folder.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

This would go more in the direction of one click, all-in-one scenario/campaign mods.

The coming system - if I understand it correctly - is geared more torwards mods+scenario from one designer.

But let's say, the scenario designer does a battle in the mud, but is no modder and he also wants the background from a certain mod, one vehicle and the grass.

With the current system, the player would have to download each mod separately to make it look like the scenario designer intends it to look.

Your idea removes the separate downloads to the scenario designer: ask the permission of the modders and include all wanted bmps in a single [scenario XY]-folder.

Very user friendly.

• 2 months later...

So now, after release, is there a description available of how to do this in the editor?

What are the allowed "fixed values" for these tags (like weather or region dependent values)?

And how does the text file specifying scenario dependent mod tags have to be written - in the discussion it was mentioned that "a list" of mod tags could be loaded, how is this done?

Could it be that this information is completely missing from the manuals?

About mod tags. One's been put into the release as a demonstration. It went in at the last moment so may have not got used.

If you import the word rubble into the Mod Tags in the editor. The Hvy Rocks terrain and the rocks doodads will turn into broken brick city rubble. This retains the Hvy Rocks impassability to vehicles. We're eventually headed for Berlin in a module and I expect most Berlin battles would be using [rubble] tagged terrain. Those that don't still have Hvy Rocks to place on the map. :)

rubbletagsample_zpsae7a1e4a.jpg~original

My "Baranovichi" scenario uses Mod Tags for the Soviet cavalry. You could open the Editor up, export the Mod Tag, and use that as a guide.

It would probably help to explode all of the files to see the naming convention better, as well. I always have a fully exploded file set for each CM game. It eats up lots of HD space, but let's me see the full possibilities for changing things.

It would probably help to explode all of the files to see the naming convention better, as well. I always have a fully exploded file set for each CM game. It eats up lots of HD space, but let's me see the full possibilities for changing things.

Yes, a must for modding. I keep them on a separate drive.

Thanks for the info, but as far as I understand it, there are system defined mod tags such as [rubble] mentioned above by MikeyD and [muddy] or [rain] for specific ground / weather conditions in scenarios. But these are not to be confused with user specified mod tags, which could be any string, like [cavalry] for the Baranovichi scenario.

I'm just wondering why there is no concise overview about the possibilities of these tags. Also, just looking at the exploded data could lead to a situation where an otherwise active mod tag has not been used in the release ([rubble] seems to be an example). How are people supposed to know what is available and what not? All that would be required is a list of available mod tags as well as an description of how to use them (not this thread, it is not an adequate documentation of design features).