Mod question.

Mord

"Customized "Mod Tags" for most graphics. This allows scenario designers to specify specific mods be used for a specific Scenario."

Does this mean we'll now be able to have different versions of the same vehicle, like two Panther As with different camo or numbers on them?

Mord.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still one vehicle (or anything else) skin per scenario, but you can apply your own scenario-specific mods at will when creating a scenario. Make up you own [tag] ending to an art file and tell the game to accept it. Tell the game this scenario will accept [mord] tagged mods, that scenario will accept [wodin] tagged mods.

Still one vehicle (or anything else) skin per scenario, but you can apply your own scenario-specific mods at will when creating a scenario. Make up you own [tag] ending to an art file and tell the game to accept it. Tell the game this scenario will accept [mord] tagged mods, that scenario will accept [wodin] tagged mods.

Wow! This is sounding really sweet.

Is there any change in selection / application of mods within the U.I.?

There are actually two benefits to this system. First is more of a book keeping type. Let's say you download a Panther A mod from Mord, another from MikeyD, and yet a third from Wodin. Currently you have to keep these things in different directories because they have the same name. Or you have to rename them temporarily. Now with the new system you would have something like:

panther a.bmp

panther a [mord].bmp

panther a [mikeyd].bmp

panther a [wodin].bmp

These can coexist anywhere without any extra work on your behalf. Better still, Modders get to get their names to be associated with their work so both the gamer and the Modder can have a connection to the artwork.

However, the big improvement is the ability to use specific ones in specific scenarios. This is done in the editor by creating a TXT file with the list of mods you want used, then clicking on a button to have CM incorporate that information into the scenario file itself. Easy.

As the scenario file is passed around the preferences for specific mods goes along with it. If the specified mod is not present on someone's computer, not a problem... it just uses the default. For example:

MikeyD makes a scenario with his mod. I download MikeyD's scenario, but not his mod. When I pop it open in CM it loads with the default Panther texture because MikeyD's is not installed. If I then downloaded and installed MikeyD's mod, then it would show up in his scenario without any additional work on my part as the player. It's automatic.

Steve

Hope so..same with unit emblems\patches..fingers crossed.

Yes, it works the same as with the Panther example. It's not very efficient in terms of harddrive space as what we really need are "Decals" that consist only of the patch/emblem. In a perfect world there would be a "sheet" of these with a corresponding popup in the Editor so you could choose it on the fly. But we're not there yet!

Steve

There are actually two benefits to this system. First is more of a book keeping type. Let's say you download a Panther A mod from Mord, another from MikeyD, and yet a third from Wodin. Currently you have to keep these things in different directories because they have the same name. Or you have to rename them temporarily. Now with the new system you would have something like:

panther a.bmp

panther a [mord].bmp

panther a [mikeyd].bmp

panther a [wodin].bmp

These can coexist anywhere without any extra work on your behalf. Better still, Modders get to get their names to be associated with their work so both the gamer and the Modder can have a connection to the artwork.

However, the big improvement is the ability to use specific ones in specific scenarios. This is done in the editor by creating a TXT file with the list of mods you want used, then clicking on a button to have CM incorporate that information into the scenario file itself. Easy.

As the scenario file is passed around the preferences for specific mods goes along with it. If the specified mod is not present on someone's computer, not a problem... it just uses the default. For example:

MikeyD makes a scenario with his mod. I download MikeyD's scenario, but not his mod. When I pop it open in CM it loads with the default Panther texture because MikeyD's is not installed. If I then downloaded and installed MikeyD's mod, then it would show up in his scenario without any additional work on my part as the player. It's automatic.

Steve

Steve this is such a welcome addition to CM and the tremedous Mod Artistes ! Thank you Battlefront.

Stolichnaya infused with Ginseng root (and other herbs) all round:D

OK this tagging thing sounds interesting but with some of these specifics coming out I am now scared.

Right, for example, now I have all of Aris's vehicle mods and I pretty much want them there all the time. I am OK with scenarios coming with mods that go with them and having them override my choice. That part = cool.

But if all the moders start tagging their mods then if I want to use them everywhere I need to a) rename the files to remove the tag so they override the default OR B) I have to edit each scenario I want to play and add the tag. Not sure if B) will even work for a QB. This part = scary.

Or did I misinterpret what has been shared so far?

Yes, it works the same as with the Panther example. It's not very efficient in terms of harddrive space as what we really need are "Decals" that consist only of the patch/emblem. In a perfect world there would be a "sheet" of these with a corresponding popup in the Editor so you could choose it on the fly. But we're not there yet!

Steve

Interesting....This would eventually make for an intriguing way to minimize the mod size and associate the insignia and markings to the units required for a particular scenario....(I'm kinda glad this isn't included yet, as I think my wife may divorce me when I get inspired to do a definitive version of my original mod using this system).

You're out of luck applying hand-made mod [tags] to QBs... I think... as of this moment.

Purpose-made [tag] endings are a special feature and not a replacement for the usual modding practices. If you want a pink Panther in a QB the simplest thing would be to throw it in the mods folder like usual. But if you're designing a particular scenario and want one building façade to say 'GESTAPO' on a big sign on the front you'd tag the altered façade for that one scenario.

OK this tagging thing sounds interesting but with some of these specifics coming out I am now scared.

[makes cooing, comforting sounds]

But if all the moders start tagging their mods then if I want to use them everywhere I need to a) rename the files to remove the tag so they override the default OR B) I have to edit each scenario I want to play and add the tag. Not sure if B) will even work for a QB. This part = scary.

Or did I misinterpret what has been shared so far?

There's only ever one default and it can be whatever you wish it to be. Currently you've overwritten the "factory made" textures with Aris's custom textures. Which means you have already done what you say you're scared of :)

The new system is designed so you don't have to overwrite files. Keep Aris's stuff as your default and download other Mods as you see fit. With the new tags they can coexist without any problems. They simply won't be used by a scenario unless they are specified by the scenario via the Editor.

Steve

Perhaps if a cache of popular [tagged] mods builds up in Repository new scenarios could designate which ones to use. Imagine a newly uploaded scenario allows 3rd party [berlinhorizon berlinbuilding] tagged mods that would be on Repository. If you've got it loaded it will appear, if you don't it won't.

How is that supposed to work in practice?

These kind of scenarios mention in their description, that there exists a mod, which must be downloaded separately?

Cool thing is regardless of what the creator added or not, you can open it in the editor and input your own list so it uses your mod list. The flexibility is cool. For your sounds, fire, terrain UI etc generic type mods, you just load over as you do now to create your defaults. Then you take mord/DC's unit icons and the decal stuff that has been done for units and change the files to have tags by unit. You can then import your own tag list for all your scenarios and be able to edit scenarios to present the units you want. God this is so cool. It takes some work to set up initially but after that it is all icing.

Possibly the most disturbing thing I've seen on this forum this year ! :eek:

I'm kinda surprised to hear this from as Scottsman. You'd think growing up with bagpipes you'd not be disturbed by anything :D

Steve

P.S. I kid! Hearing the pipes drift down from Edinburgh Castle made my trip there worth it even if the weather didn't ;)

We've been talking about textures a lot with this new tagging system - Can the same principle also be assigned to the sound files? In particular the ambient background sound files? This would allow designers to alter the ambient background noise to match the situation they're trying to depict. Quiet night on the front doing a patrol, sort breaks that immersion with the booming guns going off in the background.

Edit: Oops just re-read the overview page, looks like graphics only. Happy to corrected though. :D

We've been talking about textures a lot with this new tagging system - Can the same principle also be assigned to the sound files? In particular the ambient background sound files? This would allow designers to alter the ambient background noise to match the situation they're trying to depict. Quiet night on the front doing a patrol, sort breaks that immersion with the booming guns going off in the background.

Excellent idea - even if they haven't set it up for sounds ... it isn't too late to tweak it... ;)