Troops not staying behind walls

LukeFF

I also never noticed it before the patch.

Question: is there a way to control the action spots of a squad? Some large squad have 2 or even 3 action spots. When I have my unit move, not all the acts spots end up where I want them (and this was before this problem was discovered). Is there any way to control or manipulate the action spots (like a cntrl key that exists in some games e.g. Simcity where you hold it down and it changes the final action spots by moving the mouse)?

There are some instances where I want all 3 action spots to be in a straight line but it is usually 2 up and one down. Annoying as I then have to split the squad into its parts and then I can get each to line up properly.

Same issue for me. There is no doubt in my mind that this has arrived with the latest patch. When you are moving a squad up to a wall one of the three action spot highlights now crosses the wall, highlighting half an action spot on the player side of the wall and half on the enemy side, whereas previously I am sure they all abutted the wall on the players side only. With the action spot highlighting on the wrong side of the wall some of your troops go to the wrong side as well. Splitting squads stops this happening, but in a scenario like Hot Mustard with lots of squads and lots of walls having to micro-manage part-squads is a pain.

Same issue for me. There is no doubt in my mind that this has arrived with the latest patch. When you are moving a squad up to a wall one of the three action spot highlights now crosses the wall, highlighting half an action spot on the player side of the wall and half on the enemy side, whereas previously I am sure they all abutted the wall on the players side only. With the action spot highlighting on the wrong side of the wall some of your troops go to the wrong side as well. Splitting squads stops this happening, but in a scenario like Hot Mustard with lots of squads and lots of walls having to micro-manage part-squads is a pain.

Unlike Michael Emrys, it appears I am wrong. The description above did not occur in the past, so long as you approached a wall perpendicularly. If you approached at oblique angles, you could manipulate the facing to make it along the wall. If the case described above is done when approaching at right angles, then it is a degradation in behaviour from previous game iterations.

I have tested in CMBN 2.11 and 2.12 and can recreate the behavior in both.

Beyond folks recollections that they don't remember it being this way before, can anyone say for certainty it wasn't? I may get around to re installing a 1.11 version on CMBN, but am honestly not sure if there really is new behavior. My indications are that the patch introduced nothing new and yet folks here are swearing it did.

I am having issues as well. Not sure if they were before or after the patch.

Wandering gun crews - crews an action square away from the gun itself, eternally crawling.

Brixia & MMG Leaders with binoculars facing 90 degrees to their gunners and loaders.

Trenches seem to cause the most problems.

Am in the process of a gradual upgrade of CM on another issue and figured I'd kill two birds with one install so to speak.

I am able to see in v1.11 a movement to an angled wall that has the AS all adjacent to the wall in a formation that the pixel truppen line up correctly every time. I will continue on through 2.0 and the subsequent 2 patches to figure out the diverging point and add to what akd has already submitted.

retraction- sorry I think the issue is not your version but how you approach the wall. I have been able to verify that at least for CMBN version 1.11 through 2.12 the behavior is identical. You need to approach the wall from a perpendicular angle in order to see the option for 3 AS all adjacent to the wall. In that selection all your truppen will line up correctly. If you approach from an angle, that particular selection of action squares doesn't seem to show up.

Just verified with CMFI 1.12, behavior is identical.

Am in the process of a gradual upgrade of CM on another issue and figured I'd kill two birds with one install so to speak.

I am able to see in v1.11 a movement to an angled wall that has the AS all adjacent to the wall in a formation that the pixel truppen line up correctly every time.

Whether the wall is angled is not central to the issue (in fact, I think someone said that the diagonal walls are not affected, but haven't tested yet).

retraction- sorry I think the issue is not your version but how you approach the wall. I have been able to verify that at least for CMBN version 1.11 through 2.12 the behavior is identical. You need to approach the wall from a perpendicular angle in order to see the option for 3 AS all adjacent to the wall. In that selection all your truppen will line up correctly. If you approach from an angle, that particular selection of action squares doesn't seem to show up.

To be clear, yes, approaching a wall/linear feature at an angle (or moving along the length of the feature) has always caused 3-team squads to be placed into two action squares. That's not the reported issue. This issue specifically concerns one of the teams being placed on the far side of the feature. I have only been able to reproduce this issue with low walls in the current beta.

This issue specifically concerns one of the teams being placed on the far side of the feature.

I cant speak for CMBN (been playing a lot of CMFI the last six months) but I dident see this until what came after CMFI-GL. I think it was 1.11? I finished all my games before updating to 1.11 and 1.12 that came in such quick succession.

subrke, then please explain why the AI is showing this behavior as well. They never, ever have been like this before.

Whatever the case, it is an issue that needs to be fixed.

You are wrong... oh wait, no you aren't :P

I took another look at how I was testing and it was flawed. What I think I can prove is that in fact CM 1.11 the AS configurations are different and the TAC AI responds to those configurations differently. Sorry. :o

Am passing on what I have to the powers that be. I have not verified at which point the behavior changed. If needed I now know how to go about verifying.

You are wrong... oh wait, no you aren't :P

I took another look at how I was testing and it was flawed. What I think I can prove is that in fact CM 1.11 the AS configurations are different and the TAC AI responds to those configurations differently. Sorry. :o

Am passing on what I have to the powers that be. I have not verified at which point the behavior changed. If needed I now know how to go about verifying.

No worries, thanks for looking into this. :)

• 4 weeks later...