Troops not staying behind walls

LukeFF

I've been playing the Biazzo Ridge scenario and have noticed an annoying problem with both the AI and my American troops. When I give a waypoint right in front of a non-diagonal wall, some of the troops will inevitably jump over the wall instead of staying behind it. The result is that men in both sides of this scenario have been picked off rather easily, as the wall is no longer affording them cover.

As an example, I have my mouse hovering over the action spot where I ordered this team to move. However, as you can see, two of them have hopped over the wall instead. Like I said, I've been seeing the German troops doing the same thing, including those in the background of this screenshot.

I've never noticed this before, hence why I brought it up. Suffice it to say, it's very, very annoying.

CMFortressItaly2013-12-2917-45-54-67_zpsc64d054f.jpg

I have noticed this too. When you are trying to give move command to a squad (that takes up two or more action squares) to behind a wall, one action square will be on the desired side of the wall, and the other square will be on the other side. It doesn't do it all the time but I've definitely noticed it. Started happening with this latest patch.

Yep, also noticed this with v1.12 / v2.12 (in CMFI and CMBN) and not only for the low walls, also sometimes happened with the high Bocage.

Did something change in the behaviour of infantry around these terrain features with vX.12?

Also noticed the same thing with the high bocage after updating CMBN. Something is definitely off. It seemed even worse with the 2.11 patch and then with 2.12 coming right on it's heels I thought maybe some bug came through and that's what 2.12 was fixing. While better than 2.11 I'm still noticing the weird wall and bocage behavior.

Sounds like the safer thing to do is split them into teams to keep them on the right side of the wall.

That doesn't always work, and anyways, that's a workaround and not a solution. In the example pic I posted, there are just a handful of troops in the unit, and still two of them ended up on the wrong side of the wall.

That doesn't always work, and anyways, that's a workaround and not a solution. In the example pic I posted, there are just a handful of troops in the unit, and still two of them ended up on the wrong side of the wall.

Agreed , i was putting it out there as a workaround. And i do think it always works because like, @ Michael Emrys, i have not seen this defect because i always split teams when contact is imminent.

• 2 weeks later...
use the facing command when giving the waypoint. Select the waypoint, then select the facing of the squad, you can move it around, however, NOT always to the way you want.

This is for unsplit squads that take up more than one action square.

i dont have FI but the problem exists also in CMBN 2.12, i fix it as described in the quote, its easy and works 100% for me but takes some extra time and clicking.

I've always been a bit puzzled as to how the "Face to get the teams' alignment right" function interacts with the "pTruppen take cover and observation positions relative to the Facing they're given (which by default is the direction they were travelling in when they stopped)" function. If you have to give a Face at 90 or 180 degress from the direction you want them to observe/take cover from, in order for them to line up with the terrain how you want them to, their ability to observe or be in cover in the direction you wanted will be compromised, no? And if you Face them in that direction (the one you want them to look in), you might be leaving half the squad hanging out where you don't want 'em.

Not to mention that many terrain colours make discerning which AS the teams will end up in nigh impossible, even for people with good colour vision.

i dont think it makes any difference, and you only need the 90/180° deg face to get them into the right action spots, when they are there you can let them face anywhere and the action spots wont change ofcourse. a problem could be if the enemy is alongside the hedge and on the same side as your guys, and you want to face em looking down the hedge their way, this wont work, need to face 90° and issue new face or cover arc next turn.

Not to mention that many terrain colours make discerning which AS the teams will end up in nigh impossible, even for people with good colour vision.

this doesnt have to do with terrain colours but the time of the day and lightning in the engine, if you mean what i think you mean, its a bug ages old i reported it in CMSF and it was acknowledged but never fixed. at some times of day the coloured action spots are almost invisible, has nothing to do with the terrain below it.

EDIT: have a look, thats the thread bout the AS colour problem, i guess you see the same as its still in CMBN and so will be in CMFI iam positive although i dont have it. unfortunately some old image links are down but still some there.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=85630

i dont have FI but the problem exists also in CMBN 2.12, i fix it as described in the quote, its easy and works 100% for me but takes some extra time and clicking.

And again, that's all good and well, but it's also a problem with the AI, so any solution at this point is just a workaround for the player.

Noticed this as well. Never seen it before the latest patch.

It has always been there. The facing issue has nothing to do with a patch.

If you are picky (like I am ) I always select the facing and manipulate it if the facing is not what I want it to be. This is particularly the case when moving parallel to a feature (hedge, wall, whatever) and then you want the squad to end up along the feature. Since the default position in in line with the direction of travel, it often is undesirable, so I manipulate it to what I want.

This is not a defect or a bug. Do you really think an AI is going to figure out which way you want the squad to face after you have moved them? With multiple threats I am happy to have the choice to face the squad in the direction I want.

Are you sure? I have played quite a bit and have a strong feeling that units now are much more willing to end up on two sides of the same wall. Before 2.12 they where more reluctant and in almost all cases all guys would be on the same side.

I dont have any prof other than a strong feeling. Will have to play more games to see.

No, it has definitely not always been there. I've been playing the CMBN and CMFI since they both were released, and this issue never, ever cropped up before the latest patches for both games.

This is not a defect or a bug. Do you really think an AI is going to figure out which way you want the squad to face after you have moved them? With multiple threats I am happy to have the choice to face the squad in the direction I want.

Yes, it is a bug, because before the last update(s) the AI was smart enough to know which side of the wall it should be on. It no longer does. Load up the Biazzo Ridge scenario and watch some of the crazy things the German side (when controlled by the computer) does with its troops when approaching a wall. I dunno how many times it has to be said: it is not just a problem with player-controlled troops.