Crete

I recently found a book about the german 5th mountain division, written by the division commander. Despite his racist attitude and the heroization of the german soldiers I am really fascinated about Operation Mercur.

It would be great if BF would release a Crete module for CMFI.

dont believe everything you read http://www.mourningtheancient.com/truth.htm

dont believe everything you read http://www.mourningtheancient.com/truth.htm

Maybe I am missing your point but if you could read the book (it is in german btw) you would know what I mean. It becomes obvious when the author is writing about the Maori for example. He calls them brown wild devils but also admires that they are very disciplined and good sharpshooters. It is clear that his thinking is influenced by the rassist ideas which where very common in the first half of the 20th century not only in Germany.

For someone like me who was born in Europe in the late 20th century stuff like this sounds very awkward.

But back on topic: Yes I understand that there are differences between 1941 and 1943 but people are talking about a NA module as well and there are "rumors" that bf will change plans and cmbn will stay the base game for the whole western front.

I do not think BF will make a whole knew game only about Crete. Also the Balkans as a knew game family with a Crete module are not very sexy IMO. Maybe we will see a NA game with a Crete module in the future.

But back on topic: Yes I understand that there are differences between 1941 and 1943 but people are talking about a NA module as well and there are "rumors" that bf will change plans and cmbn will stay the base game for the whole western front.

I do not think BF will make a whole knew game only about Crete. Also the Balkans as a knew game family with a Crete module are not very sexy IMO. Maybe we will see a NA game with a Crete module in the future.

Broadsword has experimented with modding CMFI and doing a Crete campaign, it is pretty good and still running. It is limited however to just infantry. For BF to consider Crete, I believe you are correct, they would have to consider a NA game. This could then address unit organizations and equipment. Maybe around the time they also consider Poland 1939 and France 1940. The German units would likely be close to complete when they do Eastern Front 1941. Besides, what is BF going to do after they finish the EF? :D

We are fighting a CMFI Crete battle as this is being written. I think it was MJKerner that came out with some excellent Fallschirmjaeger uniform mods to cover their appearance throughout the war.

It should hold you over till something early or Africa-ish comes out.

Los

there are "rumors" that bf will change plans and cmbn will stay the base game for the whole western front.

I don't recall seeing any such hint by any one who works for Battlefront or any Beta tester (who wouldn't dare hint anyway) about such a change. Can you find us such a post ?

I don't recall seeing any such hint by any one who works for Battlefront or any Beta tester (who wouldn't dare hint anyway) about such a change. Can you find us such a post ?

I was sure that I read a post in connection with the Buldge game that plans could change. did a forum search but could not find the post, so maybe it was only speculation by someone non official.

We are fighting a CMFI Crete battle as this is being written. I think it was MJKerner that came out with some excellent Fallschirmjaeger uniform mods to cover their appearance throughout the war.

Los

Any chance that you post your scenario or campaign to the repository or GAJ's soon? That would be very much appreciated.

In other words, it's entirely baseless speculation.

I reread the metacritics thread and found out that these 'rumors' were maybe only in my own mind. I misinterpreted Steve's statements and did overlooked that he clearly points out that a bulge base game will be released 2014 or 2015.

For those who are playing Crete battles - are there some scenarios for download?

Any chance that you post your scenario or campaign to the repository or GAJ's soon? That would be very much appreciated.

I have two Crete scenarios made so far, both of areas around Rethymnon (Retimo) airfield.

But I hesitate to post them because they were made for HTH play of battles that my Crete boardgame campaign generated. There's no AI and nothing was play-balanced because they weren't meant for standalone play. The VPs and objectives are rubbish too.

But the maps are good and the OOBs are there. So they can be adapted any way you want. I found it's not hard to approximate the German FJ 1941 TO&E with some tweaking and using Italian light mortar crews to represent their platoon light mortar team.

Those who really want the scenarios can PM me.

At the moment Creta is pretty unlikely, in my opinion, BUT after the release of the last CMFI, uhm, "expansion", it shouldn't be that difficult produce a North Africa 1943 game. Most of the US and British stuff is in CMFI already and Italians need only some more armour.

Indeed, the TO&E is more similar than dissimilar. Plus, when you consider that neither force (Crete or Normandy) lasted more than a few hours at established TO&E strength, with careful selection in the Editor you can get a pretty close proximation. Same with the defending Commonwealth units. Lots and lots and lots of TO&E changes between 1941 and 1944, but creative use of the Editor will smooth out the most egregious problems.

Steve

As you can see from the pics above there are already some very nice models and skins already. The FJ skins released upon the repository cover nearly the entire war and can be mixed and matched.

The Germans are missing things like 50mm teams.,one could use the Italians but they don't quite look great with the Germans so better t go without them. Just assumed they all ended up in the drink.

If we make a few master maps, Heraklion, Maleme, Retimo, etc an acceptable mod could be put together for scenario development.

Los

Los

Thank you Los. Very little feedback makes a person wonder if anybody likes their mods.:)

Is it possible for a mod to skin a Brixia team as if it's a GrWf36?

The Germans are missing things like 50mm teams.,one could use the Italians but they don't quite look great with the Germans so better t go without them.

A model swap could be done. I swapped the Brit 2 in mortar and team so that Fallschirmjaeger would have (something similar) to a 50mm platoon mortar. These are the Brit Para models swapped with the FJ models, but their Brit weapons untouched. Same can be done for the weapon models and not the troops, or both can be swapped out.

CMFortressItaly2013-08-2501-17-14-28.png