100 Germans would defeat 110 British 120 Americans or 150 Soviets

Mr. Altipueri, thanks for giving us a link to that fascinating paper. Lots and lots of interesting stuff. Dr Pieter Lieb's comparative analysis of SS and Heer divisions in Normandy ouht to ruffle the feathers of a few on this site - myth busters.

The observation regarding staff work and middle-level officers is very interesting.

11 dutch lions going to tear apart overwhelming numbers in the planned overseas conflict next year. At least, that's what I'll write up in the history books if I get to write any :-)

Ah yes, but will they be playing football or that funny Dutch martial art they invented for the last one ;)

Someone thought those essays "meaty"? I saw a mass of prejudice all true to national stereotypes circa 1946. The German speakers notably presented no evidence whatever for anything they said. The most substantive comments were about a failed division commander for the 51st Infantry, and reported tension between Polish officers and their Allied corps commander.

Hi guys!

Haven't been writing here for a while.

This '100 Germans beat 110 Brits' thing is heavily biased because the Germans were on the defense about 90% of the time in perfect terrain for such action.

The times they were on the assault (first week of the landings and end of July most notably) they got clubbed just as much as the allies.

My view is that Germans and western Allies were more or less equal in fighting capabilities in 1944, each side with individual strenghts and weaknesses.

The Russians were a completely different story: poor leadership, poor training and poor (in comparison) equipment througout the war.

Just some numbers: the Brits lost an estimated 100-150 tanks in capturing my home province of Lower-Saxony as long as Hamburg in early 1945. In the same time frame the Battle of Berlin and its preceding battles over the Oder River cost the Soviets about 2000-3000 tanks (battle of Berlin alone 1000 KIA tanks).

They usually just poured massive artillery firepower and stormed in afterwards.

Flexible leadership whipped them at every opportunity.

Best regards

Olf

I just noticed that the discussion was dedicated to the memory of Ian Daglish who died in an air crash. He was the author of those great Over the Battlefield series and his death is a great loss to military history.

Michael

Very unfortunate. His book on Epsom was excellent. His battlefield photos really helped one understand the terrain and how it influenced that tactics involved.

So when do we get them Wasps and Crocodiles?

As for the Brits needing two sections to match the firepower of one German section, I can believe that. Luckily the Brits tended not to go into battle minus lots of artillery and tanks so the difference was made up with supporting arms to a degree.

Hi guys!

Haven't been writing here for a while.

(..)

The Russians were a completely different story: poor leadership, poor training and poor (in comparison) equipment througout the war.

Just some numbers: the Brits lost an estimated 100-150 tanks in capturing my home province of Lower-Saxony as long as Hamburg in early 1945. In the same time frame the Battle of Berlin and its preceding battles over the Oder River cost the Soviets about 2000-3000 tanks (battle of Berlin alone 1000 KIA tanks).

They usually just poured massive artillery firepower and stormed in afterwards.

Flexible leadership whipped them at every opportunity.

Best regards

Olf

Hmm, you're seem to forget that in early '45 most German soldiers in the West weren't nearly as determined to fight the UK/US forces, as the Germans in the East were in fighting the Russians.

Certainly in the last two or three months of the war, the British and American forces had hardly any serious opposition left, while the Russians had to fight against very fanatical (sometimes literally suicidal) soldiers.

Therefore you're comparison isn't entirely just.

And I think that the Germans, in for instance Heeresgruppe Mitte in the second half of 1944, realized that the Russian Army by that time was pretty well trained, very well led and rather well equipped.

Seedorf - the Russians took over 400,000 casualties in the last 2-3 weeks of the war, just in the fight for Berlin and Prague. From a position of total operational superiority, against a defeated and disorganized enemy with rear area services and command systems in complete collapse.

Tactical aces they were not...

Saferight - the Allies didn't take losses that high in the battle of the Bulge. It was not a matter of the Germans not trying, it was a matter of the Russians "spending" men like crazy.

The western Allies were simply vastly more competent tactically, man for man, than the Russians were. The Russians had fine military equipment, a solid doctrine, good operational direction at the higher levels from midwar on. But their tactical ability and the fine-scale intelligence and command skill showed by their lower level officers and bottom field grade officers, were simply far below the level of the other major combatants. All war.

The Russians took 3:2 losses in their greatest operational victory of the whole war - Bagration. They spent manpower recklessly, and did things the hard way, over and over. There was no such major discrepancy on the other fronts against the Germans.

The only other major combatant that showed similar tactical ineptitude in land combat was Japan, and that was in large measure due to the far superior odds and major weapon system "capital" edge they faced from midwar on. In their best defensive performances late war, they managed to trade one KIA of theirs for one WIA of their opponents; more often and whenever they tried to attack after early 1942, they were outscored 10 to 1 - an even higher attrition ratio than the Russians suffered against the Germans.

Some interesting bits from a few talks on Normandy here including an attack on a bus shelter mistaken for a pillbox.

- http://www.bcmh.org.uk/archive/reports/2011NormandyInMemoriamIanDaglish.pdf

Thanks for this only now just looked at thread as title put me off..

This was one talk I could not go to as was out of the country and aware of the day.

I had not realised notes had been published so at least I get an inkling of what I missed.

Sad that the day had to be held, but a good day in Ian's memory. His books I have found very readable and give some great insights to the reality of WW2 operations.

Thank you...