Movie Mode and jaggies

Maybe it's your equipment Jason. Because I am very happy with MM, I don't even notice the lack of AA on the hard edges like I did in GL. I know a few guys pointed out some problem areas in my AAR images but I can't see that they are complaining about anything substantial. ;)

Maybe I just got used to it. Regardless I will never go back the garish colors of the normal rendering mode.

Bil

AA and AA Transparency do not work with WMM post processing. The difference in "shimmering" and "jaggies" is huge in my opinion when using Antialiasing - Setting: 8X CSAA

and Antialiasing - Transparency: 8X (supersample) vs none.

I currently have a great mod combo mix of my own edits plus others than tone down the vanilla palette just enough in my opinion to make it look really nice, so I'll be sticking with that setup. If WMM is ever "fixed" I might give it a go, but I'm not sure I would use it full time or not.

It was a very big disappointment for me, that AA still doesn't work with MM.

Low resolutions are THE cure to improve framerates. And then AA becomes very important.

It's a shame that Nvidia doesn't allow to create color profiles but I searched the net for color profile software and found two interesting solutions:

CPKeeper (Color Profile Keeper)

Monitor Calibration Wizard

Both should allow to create a suitable color profile and use it while playing CM and afterwards switch back to normal colors.

Maybe it's your equipment Jason. Because I am very happy with MM, I don't even notice the lack of AA on the hard edges like I did in GL. I know a few guys pointed out some problem areas in my AAR images but I can't see that they are complaining about anything substantial. ;)

Use the 1024 resolution and your eyes will tear with activated MM. :o

Maybe I just got used to it. Regardless I will never go back the garish colors of the normal rendering mode.

Bil

Well 27inch screen at 1920@1080 it's noticeable, esp terrain and buildings and soldiers more so than AFV's..the only thing to lessen it is high resolution and thats the highest I can go..

Astrocat would be cool if you could upload your mod..I use Aris terrain mods..

gunnerman..no, shaders don't make any difference to jagged edges..but does improve shadows no end.

I originally had anti-aliasing built into the system that drives Movie Mode, but decided to drop it because it was too expensive for low-end devices. I'll look at adding it back in as an option.

I assume the reason BFC keeps the super-saturated bright vanilla colors is because the real world is super-saturated bright and they are trying to make the game look realistic. Whether movie mode is esthetically more pleasing is personal taste but it certainly is not realistic.

Astrocat would be cool if you could upload your mod..I use Aris terrain mods.
I'm not sure I can really upload it because it's mishmash of a ton of other's mods including Aris' with my own tweaks thrown in. I maybe could upload it like they did over here: http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/mods-aris-and-other-popular-mods-combined-into-easy-to-download-packs.17477/

Kind of like a compilation more than a mod. AstroCat's Comp or something like that.

Personally I think the movie Mode system could also serve as a way to fine tune or tweak our game. Example currently Movie Mode is all or nothing but what if the settings are pushed outside the game to a readable config file. That way each user could adjust to his or her liking. If not that then at least maybe a percentage setting 0-100 so we can control how much is factor in.

Maybe yes –no

ez

make WMM the default? I haven't seen anyone lighting a beacon for the original colours.

I have remained silent on the whole movie mode topic. Partly because I wanted to give it a chance and partly because it seemed very popular and so why should I diss something that other like. But the normal colours - yes as in realistic - are the way I want to play the game.

I will now go on record as saying "I hate movie mode". Sorry it looks ridiculous and unnatural. Realistic mode is the only way to play.

Is that a bright enough beacon for ya:D

Hearing some of the descriptions people have written about realistic mode sounds to me like people are playing on uncalibrated monitors. Some factory defaults amp up the brightness and saturation because studies have shown that in the store customers buy the brightest monitors. As a photographer all my monitors are calibrated and when I look at CMBN set to a bright summer day and look outside my window on a bright summer day the game compares very well with real life.

I have remained silent on the whole movie mode topic. Partly because I wanted to give it a chance and partly because it seemed very popular and so why should I diss something that other like. But the normal colours - yes as in realistic - are the way I want to play the game.

I will now go on record as saying "I hate movie mode". Sorry it looks ridiculous and unnatural. Realistic mode is the only way to play.

Is that a bright enough beacon for ya:D

Hearing some of the descriptions people have written about realistic mode sounds to me like people are playing on uncalibrated monitors. Some factory defaults amp up the brightness and saturation because studies have shown that in the store customers buy the brightest monitors. As a photographer all my monitors are calibrated and when I look at CMBN set to a bright summer day and look outside my window on a bright summer day the game compares very well with real life.

I am with you on this topic :)

I've found on my calibrated LCD the vanilla color palette a little too vibrant for my tastes. I've used a lot of Aris', Rambler's, Flesh's and Veins' mods along with my own including my own grass (normal and yellow) which is somewhat closer to vanilla than theirs as I found the other mod's grasses too dark. I'm very happy with the results, it's in the "spirit" of vanilla but just toned down a bit.

Movie mode may look "better" to some cos of the way we view WW2 on old film etc. But, one issued with realistic colors and light is that it seems to make the camo on vehicles make them stand out more than make them harder to see. Making camo-ed vehicles look like brightly colored toys in realistic-looking terrain doesn't seem "right".

Have played around with my settings, but it's very hard to maket camo-ed vehicles blend in without desaturating everything.

I think that may be due to the Germans having the Russian steppe more in mind than Normandy when designing their camo schemes. Many pics I have seen of vehicles in Normandy, especially German ones, show them covered in foliage. It would be cool to see that in the game.