Urban Bone

I would rather have the expansion released later with these changes than released today without them.

<confused>Where did you get the impression that they decided at the last minute to hold the release back because they wanted to add these changes?</confused>

I am pretty sure that this was all planned to be part of the next patch and not added on last week or something. Steve is just telling us about the list of cool stuff that should improve the urban fighting experience.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<confused>Where did you get the impression that they decided at the last minute to hold the release back because they wanted to add these changes?</confused>

I'm not implying causality. I'm saying that these changes are (to me) better news than seeing a release without these changes would have been. In short, I'm happy because I've just learned that the expansion will be better than I thought it would.

I am pretty sure that this was all planned to be part of the next patch and not added on last week or something. Steve is just telling us about the list of cool stuff that should improve the urban fighting experience.

I think he just meant that he is happier that this is in the release than he would have been if the release was today but without these changes.

I don't think he actually thinks the release has been pushed back because of it.

4. Vehicles trying to engage targets at point blank range have their time to target increased. This helps the system better simulate the problems AFVs have in seeing/engaging targets that are almost literally on top of them. Like assaulting infantry, for example.

5. Similar to #4, vehicles that try to engage targets beyond their realistic elevation restrictions have further targeting delays. Yes, yes, yes... we know that this isn't the be-all-end-all solution to the forever (i.e. since 1999) problem of not explicitly simulating elevation restrictions. But at least there's now something whereas there wasn't anything other than whatever game variables happened to be in play (which usually solved the problem anyway). We had a very, very, very long discussion about this and it was decided that the new feature works pretty well and is certainly better than nothing. And nothing was the only other viable choice for us, so that's that :D

From 4/6/13:

Prediction: BF is in the process of addressing of gun elevation- and depression- restrictions and will have a rough and ready fix in time for the Market Garden module and Arnhem.

This poster strikes me as a veritable Nostradamus. ;)

OK, Nostradamus. How about a release date, then? ;)

Umlaut, I just got an email from Nostradamus (he uses AOL, figures...) in response to your query. This is what it said:

Esteemed Childress,

Near the gates and within two cities

There will be scourges the like of which was never seen,

Famine within plague, people put out by steel,

Crying to the great immortal God for relief.

Parsing the words it seems to suggest next Monday as a likely release date. Or there'll be another terrorist attack. Your guess is as good as mine.

Btw, you owe me. Big time.

Hilarious Childress 2 urban bones way up!

Umlaut, I just got an email from Nostradamus (he uses AOL, figures...) in response to your query. This is what it said:

Esteemed Childress,

Near the gates and within two cities

There will be scourges the like of which was never seen,

Famine within plague, people put out by steel,

Crying to the great immortal God for relief.

Parsing the words it seems to suggest next Monday as a likely release date. Or there'll be another terrorist attack. Your guess is as good as mine.

Btw, you owe me. Big time.

3. All types or rocket based AT weapons can be fired from within buildings given certain conditions and certain caveats. Those conditions and caveats are as you expect... the bigger the bang, the more confined the space, the more potential problems. Problems = suppression and/or injury.

I'm thrilled to see this! I don't think we can properly do city fighting if our bazookas and schrecks have to Do It In The Road.

But I'm wondering: what *are* the limits and rules in place for this? Will an infantry squad inside a room sometimes fire its bazooka at an enemy infantry squad (suppressing and damaging itself in the process)? Or will it only fire at vehicles? Will it do so automatically, or only with a specific Target order? Are there ways to prevent any rocket firing at all? etc.

Thanks. Can't wait!

But I'm wondering: what *are* the limits and rules in place for this? Will an infantry squad inside a room sometimes fire its bazooka at an enemy infantry squad (suppressing and damaging itself in the process)? Or will it only fire at vehicles? Will it do so automatically, or only with a specific Target order? Are there ways to prevent any rocket firing at all? etc.

Thanks. Can't wait!

I'd imagine it would be the same as anywhere else, target arcs can set the parameters for when they would engage.

Ooohhh Monday then ;)...

Pretty certain, Wodin. But you never know with Nostradamus. I tried calling him at his job- he manages a Winn-Dixie Pharmacy in New Orleans- to nail down the precise date but he talks in cryptic quatrains even on the phone! Very frustrating. But that's just how the man rolls. Opacity is part of his charm.

Ahem. If that means what I think it means, quite a number of you should be rejoicing.

Michael

I'll say. I just got off a conference call with Steve, Phil and AKD. From now on all my posts will be stickied. Including the upcoming 'Inter-species miscegenation:the hidden rainbow?'. It will rock your world. Keep an eye on the General Discussion forum. ;)