Release date estimation for GL

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's close, but we still can't say when exactly it will be ready. As I said in my previous post, any significant issue that causes us to have to rebuild the installer means 2 days added to the schedule minimum. Having Microsoft Windows decided to do an update and reboot itself in the middle of a 5 hours into an upload doesn't help us out any either.

For sure we're going to release Gustav Line as a Module only to start out with. We haven't even started on that and it's twice the size as Gustav on its own. Which means about a day just to upload the beast for testing, not to mention anything else! No sense making everybody wait for that process to be completed.

I have to say this is the ONE drawback of having a "distributed workplace" (i.e. we're not all in one office building). As the old saying goes, what goes up must come down. So if it takes 6 hours to upload something it also takes 6 hours to download it. Now, if we were in one office it would be available for testing or working on within minutes. Thankfully this only is an issue a few times a year, because it really does suck :(

Steve

It's close, but we still can't say when exactly it will be ready. As I said in my previous post, any significant issue that causes us to have to rebuild the installer means 2 days added to the schedule minimum. Having Microsoft Windows decided to do an update and reboot itself in the middle of a 5 hours into an upload doesn't help us out any either.

For sure we're going to release Gustav Line as a Module only to start out with. We haven't even started on that and it's twice the size as Gustav on its own. Which means about a day just to upload the beast for testing, not to mention anything else! No sense making everybody wait for that process to be completed.

I have to say this is the ONE drawback of having a "distributed workplace" (i.e. we're not all in one office building). As the old saying goes, what goes up must come down. So if it takes 6 hours to upload something it also takes 6 hours to download it. Now, if we were in one office it would be available for testing or working on within minutes. Thankfully this only is an issue a few times a year, because it really does suck :(

Steve

Hello Steve,

I have already paid 12 usd this evening - Red Orchestra Rising Storm Beta from steam

And countdown countinuing for GL.

It seems we will be waiting to publish at next week with this pace :-)

Heh, nothing worse than seeing hard work disappear in front of your eyes because of an unwanted automated autonomous decision by a non-human which can't be blamed, fired or slapped around. I found a special site which helps dealing with this: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ :D

The sentence "download and install updates automatically (recommended)" is probably one of the most ironic unintended jokes around.

I thought people might be interested on what day of the week past releases were made:

CMSF:Marines Tuesday

CMSF:British Forces Wednesday

CM:Afghanistan Monday

CMSF:NATO Thursday

CM:BN Tuesday

CM:BN Commonwealth Monday

CM:FI Thursday

You are free to draw your own conclusions :)

Steve

Jeezus ... 6 Hours ? How big is gustav line ? The installer for CMBN was only 1.3 GB ....

I thought people might be interested on what day of the week past releases were made:

CMSF:Marines Tuesday

CMSF:British Forces Wednesday

CM:Afghanistan Monday

CMSF:NATO Thursday

CM:BN Tuesday

CM:BN Commonwealth Monday

CM:FI Thursday

You are free to draw your own conclusions :)

Well - there aint no fridays in there ... so its another loooooong weekend.

Having Microsoft Windows decided to do an update and reboot itself in the middle of a 5 hours into an upload doesn't help us out any either.

I have my update settings set download only and not install so I can control when that happens - last two updates have reset this to automatic. Microsoft: Grrrrr

Oh yeh, I've been living in 'automatic update' hell for a few days myself! Starting up to a blue screen the next morning. Thanks heaps, Microsoft!!!

I experience the same. Worse I let the install start as I walked out the door to work in the morning. My wife came home to a computer that would not boot. I got a call at work. Microsoft: Grrrrrrrrr.

Note to self: don't do that again.

"For sure we're going to release Gustav Line as a Module only to start out with. We haven't even started on that and it's twice the size as Gustav on its own."

Sorry Steve, this confuses me. I thought you were working on the GL Module release? What am I missing here??

Heh, nothing worse than seeing hard work disappear in front of your eyes because of an unwanted automated autonomous decision by a non-human which can't be blamed, fired or slapped around. I found a special site which helps dealing with this: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ :D

The sentence "download and install updates automatically (recommended)" is probably one of the most ironic unintended jokes around.

Bummer to hear about the upload getting FUBARed due to the Windows update. I can't remember the last time I let Windows decide when and what I download/update. Thats literally the very first thing I do on a clean OS install is change that setting to notify me.

"For sure we're going to release Gustav Line as a Module only to start out with. We haven't even started on that and it's twice the size as Gustav on its own."

Sorry Steve, this confuses me. I thought you were working on the GL Module release? What am I missing here??

I think he's comparing the download size of the GL module alone to a combo bundle deal of CMFI + GL.

It's close, but we still can't say when exactly it will be ready.

Somehow this is starting to remind me of a story I heard many years ago. Seems that a successful Broadway producer decided to have a little fun. So he rented a billboard on Times Square and put up a sign that read, "He is coming." That stayed up for a month and then was replaced by one that read, "He is coming soon." Then: "He is coming next week to Carnegie Hall." Finally: "He will be here tonight!"

Well, the big night arrived and the hall was buzzing with anticipation, all the gentlemen in tuxedoes and the ladies in elegant gowns. Finally the house lights dim and the curtains part. There on stage was an easel with a hand-written poster that read, "He's gone, you missed him."

:D

Michael