Only took me years to get here.

For ages i have been looking for a World War 1 or 2 RTS or RPG game that wasn't a click fest. I wanted a game where i could sit back, plan and perhaps use realistic tactics with a bit of thought behind each move. I downloaded the demo sometime in the summer of 2011, i think (might be wrong i am getting old) anyway i found the control system clunky and just gave up. A year later after another search for a slower paced game i always seem to come back here to Battlefront. I downloaded the demo again and tried the demo mission and got my ass whooped. I gave up and deleted it from my hard drive. Then after more searching and reading reviews i .............yep came back here. This time i bought the sodding thing and this kind of forced me to learn after departing with my hard earned cash. I say learn it, i mean get my head round the whole pace and approach of the thing, if that makes sense?

Anyway after watching some great tutorials on You Tube and reading through these, it has to be said, great forum, i managed to get my first decisive victory and absolutely loved it.

I continue to get my arse kicked on most missions but i can see small steps in progress.

I want to thank the game designers and all the people who post so much helpful information and tips. Without it i will still be on Google typing "tactical slow paced cerebral strategy game"

Well better late than never... It does take a bit of getting into but I have to say this is the one company I have tried my best to support for over 13 years. They have given me so much pleasure in that time that I would hate to add up all the gaming hours down to their games.

A superb system and well worth the effort in learning it...

Welcome and playing humans is the way forward...

Welcome aboard, and I hope you continue to see yourself improve, that is part of the fun of it.

As for not jumping on board right from the get go, dont feel bad. I played the CMBO demo the same way, I liked it but was not trully sold on it, I did not buy it right away. It was later when I found it in a store and bought the game that I started learning this was my next step where I would spend my wargaming time. When I found I could make my own maps and battles, there was no way this was not going to become my favorite game system.

Played most of the CM titles. Excellent tactical game. I too find RTS games way to quick myself, baring the odd exception and I mean odd, the only two I've enjoyed are Close Combat 2 and Achtung Panzer series.

What works for me and makes CM what it is is the WEGO mode. It's very unlikely I'd have bought into CMx2 without it. If you too find RTS games abit too quick and need thinking time then give it a try.

UKMule,

Welcome aboard!

You are what, in military and military analysis circles is called an Attrition Kill. CM hit you, but you weren't downed straightaway. Like the Bismarck, though, the hit jammed your rudder, so you've been circling above CMdom, watching your gaming altimeter wind down, together with your fuel. You have now surrendered to the inevitable and (joyfully) embrace your captivity. Happily, this is a big, ever growing "prison camp," and, as long as you remember to feed yourself, you'll have lots of fun, learn some cool stuff, get to know people all over the world and take your own measure, whether vs AI or human. CM is not responsible for the collapse of intimate relations and long periods without sunlight. You are!

RTS has its charms--for the dexterous. While I make an excellent Warthog gunner in HALO, that's a far cry from trying to herd cats (a reinforced infantry company), in RTS, using an unfamiliar interface, trying to read terrain and make good decisions, on the fly. I have serious difficulties doing this stuff vs AI turn by turn and am in no way ready to take on a human. Sounds like you're off to a very good start, though.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best, and there is every resource imaginable (okay, no operational layer) to help you realize your CM dreams.

Regards,

John Kettler