Doing the math for release dates

Steve said in another thread

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=108673

...about the number of months between CMBN 2.0 upgrade and Gustav Line release is 4 months, between CMFI and Gustav is 7 months and between CMBN 2.0 upgrade and OMG is 5-6 months.

So, CMFI was out in early August 2012 so +7 months gets me to right about now!

But I then see CMBN 2.0 upgrade was 11 Dec so Gustav comes out in early April...

And so OMG is then early May or early June?

Maybe I got my dates wrong?

Regardless, it is great stuff to look forward to. Plus Bagration later in the year.

Thanks Battlefront!

Whilst having a cuppa over the weekend the tea leaves in my cup told me something quite extraordinary... They said that by analyzing the threads a certain way I could extract a single letter from each of Steve's posts over the last 12 years that when put together in reverse order gave me an address at the BattleFront skunkworks where I dug up the cover art to the first v4.0 title...

8vZVaLrqhke45g7nc3YxTRXLo1_500.jpg

Finally!!

The future does look bright. I patiently await these developments.

-F

It's still looking good though, there are around 5-7 Mods and titles due out this year according to the official announcements. I'm saving now!

5 to 7!!!

I have Gustav, MG, East Front, SF2. So what pray tell are the others?? As far as I know these are the only ones announced for this year.

Someone once did this before but I thought it would be fun to do it again.

Here are the announcement and release dates for all CMX2 games and modules except for the original CMSF game.

______________________Announced __________ Released __________ Amount of time

CMSF: Marines ________ May 27 2008 _________ Sept 26 2008 ___________ 4 months

CMSF: British Forces ____ Nov 25 2008 __________ July 29 2009 ___________ 8.1 months

CMSF: NATO __________ May 13 2010 __________Oct 21 2010____________ 5.2 months

CMBN ________________ Dec 21 2010___________May 17 2011____________4.9 months

CMBN Commonwealth____Nov 11 2011___________March 5 2012____________3.8 months

CMFI_________________June 21 2012___________ Aug 2 2012_____________1.4 months

Average time 4.6 months, but it certainly is trending on getting them out sooner after being announced.

Average time 4.6 months, but it certainly is trending on getting them out sooner after being announced.

They also announce things only when they're farther along. It cuts down on the whining.

That said, it is never too early to release the Refresh Monkeys.

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Timespan between announcement and release is shortening probablybecause there seems to a a 'law of diminishing returns' on early announcements.

In the past, it seemed for every three people enthused about an early-announced title there was one disappointed that the game could not match some impossible pie-in-the-sky fantasy title he had built up in his head. You've got to admit, BFC left you little time to fantacize about what an Italian theater title should look like before dropping the real thing on you. That seems to have been a plus all around. No unreasonable expectations left unmet.

Timespan between announcement and release is shortening probablybecause there seems to a a 'law of diminishing returns' on early announcements.

In the past, it seemed for every three people enthused about an early-announced title there was one disappointed that the game could not match some impossible pie-in-the-sky fantasy title he had built up in his head. You've got to admit, BFC left you little time to fantacize about what an Italian theater title should look like before dropping the real thing on you. That seems to have been a plus all around. No unreasonable expectations left unmet.

Someone helping with the code does not hurt either.

Someone helping with the code does not hurt either.

Yeah that definitely helps.. but I think his main task is ensuring that the water in Charles' tank is clean and his cerebellum gets its weekly massage. Cerebellum, I think that's where all the "battle" thinking goes on isn't it? :D

A little humor for those Latin scholars out there. Sorry.

• 1 month later...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=108673

It seems we are drifting past some of these predictions...

post #9 in the linked thread: quoted..from 2-19-2013

Believe me, we are conscious of the fact that there's only so much stuff you guys can absorb within a given space of time. The good news for you is that if you don't have time/money to buy something today, it will be waiting for you when you do. Right now we've got a lot of stuff announced, however it still takes us time to put them out.

The gap between Normandy Upgrade 2.0 and Gustav Line, for example, is probably going to be about 4 months. And those are for two separate Families. If you look at the gap of time between Fortress Italy's first release and Gustav Line it's about 7 months. Which means for someone only interested in Italy there's a pretty good sized gap between the two. Likewise, Normandy customers will probably have around 5-6 months between when Upgrade 2.0 and Market Garden come out.

The gamers that are hit the hardest are ones like me. I love all this stuff and so, yeah, there's going to be quite a pile of things to choose from! Which is never a bad thing IMHO

Steve

I look at it this way, it takes me a good 5-6 months just to appreciate a release. Any faster and they would just sit on my shelf longer and not have as much time for BF to polish them. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE looking at them on the shelf. Still it is better for us all that they are properly baked before BF turns us loose on them or we will spend more time on patches and less time on releases.

I look at it this way, it takes me a good 5-6 months just to appreciate a release. Any faster and they would just sit on my shelf longer and not have as much time for BF to polish them. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE looking at them on the shelf. Still it is better for us all that they are properly baked before BF turns us loose on them or we will spend more time on patches and less time on releases.

Very true. Too quick releases simply means , given the lengthier playing time of CMX2, that I can play fewer games before the next add-on is out. Why buy CMFI, and CMGL if I can jump to MG. BTW I would pay for North Africa and Russia regardless.

Just for comparison of number of games played PBEM I maxed at eleven concurrently with CMx1 and using PBEMHelper could play monster games in a couple of weeks with AFAIR three turns a day. CMX2 requires much more input per move so I can never see me playing many concurrent games and really learning a module deeply unless I restrict myself.

The future does look bright.

-F

Funny You said that. As it happpens , friend just call me with interesting story.His friend has a friend who's cousin slept with a barmaid who worked at the pub frequented by Steve and Charles. On one crucial night of 12th December 1997 (1 + 9 +9 + 7 - 2 / 4 = 12 , enough said) she overheard them planning a business model based on the Mayan Calendar , with drastic shift of development 1/2 year after every cycle.

Exciting , the future , indeed.

Personally, I prefer to toss a handfull of chicken bones into the air and observe the pattern they make on the ground over the word of a barmaid any day.

Michael

Some people prefer barmaids...and some people prefer chickens. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

On the actual topic, such as it is, the equation used to calculate the estimated release date (ERD) also needs to factor in the facts that: (1) the game is available for pre-order; and (2) beta testers are doing Gustav Line AARs even as we speak.