Upgrade Performance Increase?

Hi all,

It's been ages since I posted here and I confess, I haven't played CM:BN in months. Now I see that there is an upgrade to bring the engine up to version 2.0, like CM:FI. On my PC, CM:FI played noticeably smoother than CM:BN. Has anyone noticed a similar increase in framerate with the CM:BN upgrade? I may buy it if it improves performance but otherwise probably not.

Hi all,

It's been ages since I posted here and I confess, I haven't played CM:BN in months. Now I see that there is an upgrade to bring the engine up to version 2.0, like CM:FI. On my PC, CM:FI played noticeably smoother than CM:BN. Has anyone noticed a similar increase in framerate with the CM:BN upgrade? I may buy it if it improves performance but otherwise probably not.

The graphics engine changed quite a bit. For some hardware than can make a big difference even if others do not see it. As far as I know all such improvements have been ported over from CMFI to CMBN 2.0.

But you need to make sure you run with the same settings right now.

Oh, and presumably we will be able to play scenarios portraying the Brit Paras in Arnhem if we already own the Commonwealth module?

Probably not. The MG module will probably include new terrain & building forms/skins, new German units and/or vehicles, and perhaps some organizational changes to Brit Para OOB. If a given scenario uses any new units introduced in the CW module, you'll need the CW module to play it.

Of course, a scenario designer could design a reasonable facsimile of Arnhem battles right now, using the tools & units available in CMBN w/ the CW module. Such a scenario using only base & CW units, building & terrain types, etc. would be playable without the MG module. But it's a pretty safe bet that the new scenarios included with the CW module will require the units in the CW module to play.

Edit to add: As to your original query, I couldn't say for certain if there's been a framerate increase with 2.0. There definitely have been graphic improvements to shadows etc. and things "seem" smoother to me. But I haven't bothered to measure framerate so I couldn't say for sure. I'm playing on a 21.5" 2011 iMac, if it matters.

Thanks Rocky. When is the Market Garden module out? Oh, and presumably we will be able to play scenarios portraying the Brit Paras in Arnhem if we already own the Commonwealth module?

No official announcement from BF on the release but most everyone here believes it will be sometime in the 1 Qtr of 2013. The MG module will require you to have the 2.0 upgrade for it to install, and this is why you can get a discount if you purchase the upgrade with the module.

The TOE/OOB for the Airborne troops and CW ground forces (30 XXX) changed some between Overlord (Jun 44) and Market Garden (Sep. 44). So if you purchase MG then you should be able to build/play any scenario built with the units/terrain from the MG module.

If you buy the MG module but haven't purchased the CW module then I'm not sure but I would imagine there will be some holes or missing units in you Brit TOE that covers Jun-Sep 44. The rule of thumb is, any battle or campaign built using units or terrain from a certain module will require you to have that module to play the battle.

Hope this helps ...

For me, the upgrayedd increased the performance in large to huge battles noteably.

Only just got round to purchasing v2.0 and still going through scenarios but have noticed the larger battles on the CW module are now a lot quicker at loading and the blue bar moves a lot quicker too.At last i can play these battles without having a book to read between moves.Absolutely delighted.

Probably not. The MG module will probably include new terrain & building forms/skins, new German units and/or vehicles, and perhaps some organizational changes to Brit Para OOB. If a given scenario uses any new units introduced in the CW module, you'll need the CW module to play it.

Of course, a scenario designer could design a reasonable facsimile of Arnhem battles right now, using the tools & units available in CMBN w/ the CW module. Such a scenario using only base & CW units, building & terrain types, etc. would be playable without the MG module. But it's a pretty safe bet that the new scenarios included with the CW module will require the units in the CW module to play.

Edit to add: As to your original query, I couldn't say for certain if there's been a framerate increase with 2.0. There definitely have been graphic improvements to shadows etc. and things "seem" smoother to me. But I haven't bothered to measure framerate so I couldn't say for sure. I'm playing on a 21.5" 2011 iMac, if it matters.

BF have always stated in the past that game families will be accompanied with Modules that are stand alone. This means you won't have to buy a previous module to play another one. If this model hasn't changed then you won't need the CW Module to play MG Module.

As for the original question, I'm seeing a very small increase graphically in the new version, but of course it does have other improvement like amour arcs that slightly improve the game for me.

Good to see so many people noticing speed improvements. v2.xx certainly should be faster for people who noticed significant issues with v1.xx, though stupid hardware/driver issues could always prove me wrong for any given player. For people that didn't have much of a problem then they won't likely see much improvement. Though shadows can be a definite exception for some. Some couldn't play with them at all, now they look great!

What we did was overhaul the graphics engine in such a way that allowed us to greatly reduce polygon counts without a subsequent reduction in visual quality. In fact, for those who were having significant speed issues will almost certainly see both a speed and a quality increase because they were likely already playing with lower quality settings.

As for the units included in Market Garden...

The Commonwealth Module is not required to play Market Garden. We will include the basic Commonwealth ground forces necessary to play out a pretty good chunk of the drive towards Arnhem. Likewise, on the German side the basic Waffen SS ground forces for the defense of Arnhem and surrounding areas will be included. Which means only a limited ability to portray battles outside of the "corridor" without the Commonwealth Module.

In addition to the two subsets of Commonwealth Module forces, there's lots of new stuff:

1. Polish Airborne

2. Scratch Kampfgruppen (including first ever CM appearance of German Naval ground forces)

3. New vehicles and weaponry, some applicable backwards to June 1944

4. Dutch specific terrain models and artwork

5. Custom made historical bridges.

Probably some other stuff I'm not remembering to include.

Steve

Ok, thanks all. I do actually have the Commonwealth module installed already, but Steve's clarifications will be of use to those who don't have it. It's great to hear that 2.0 is faster for some users. I definitely think CM:FI is faster (and better looking) than CM:BN 1.0 on my machine, so upgrading to 2.0 should make CM:BN behave more like CM:FI for me, which is cool. I may hold off until the MG module, simply because I've got other interests on the go at the moment and so have no urgency to get the upgrade just now.

but do QB PBEMs work? The only thing I play in CMBN and they do not work in my "upgrade" 2.0

There seems to be a QB-PBEM issue with human selected troops. You cant get past 5% of turn 002. Not good. :mad:

I'm running a fairly quick gaming machine. I see little speed performance with 2.0 but the shading appears much smoother.

1. Polish Airborne

2. Scratch Kampfgruppen (including first ever CM appearance of German Naval ground forces)

3. New vehicles and weaponry, some applicable backwards to June 1944

4. Dutch specific terrain models and artwork

5. Custom made historical bridges.

Probably some other stuff I'm not remembering to include.

Steve

Tulips and windmills.

First, im diging into the bookself to read up on German naval ground units, dont know much about them, thus I have to give myself a history leason.

Good luck finding anything to read :) Those poor salty bastards were mostly administrative related units, not anything even remotely geared for facing off against the best the Brits had on hand. They were mushed together with admin/base Luftwaffe personnel, training units, school units, etc. into an overall effective mix of all four branches of the German armed forces. Being backed up by some assault guns and tanks didn't hurt ;)

Steve

On my main rig (I7-950, 6 GB, GTX550 Ti 2 GB, W7-64), running all settings maxed out, I don't notice any difference. In fact, V2 runs a bit choppier than 1.10/1.11.

However, on my laptop (I5 2410M 2.3 GHz, 4GB, Intel HD Graphics 3000 1760MB integrated, W7-64), running balanced models/textures and everything else turned to lowest quality, I notice a definite improvement between 1.11 and V2.

This jives with what Steve has said. If your rig is high-end, maybe little or no improvement with v2.0. If your rig is middlin/low-end, then it should offer significant improvement.

Hmm... check out your drivers on your big rig. I don't know why it would run choppier! No noticeable improvement I could understand, but worse performance is a little unexpected. Oh wait... you're running Windows 7 64bit. Well, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that turned out to be the reason. Seems we always have some flavor of Windows 64bit that does something unexpected :D

Steve

Good luck finding anything to read :) Those poor salty bastards were mostly administrative related units, not anything even remotely geared for facing off against the best the Brits had on hand. They were mushed together with admin/base Luftwaffe personnel, training units, school units, etc. into an overall effective mix of all four branches of the German armed forces. Being backed up by some assault guns and tanks didn't hurt ;)

Steve

Oh the joys of a desperate army trying to muster men/units to fight a lost cause!:eek:

And to think those poor poor administrative personal who thought they had a cushy rear area assignment, far far from the front lines. :P

On my main rig (I7-950, 6 GB, GTX550 Ti 2 GB, W7-64), running all settings maxed out, I don't notice any difference. In fact, V2 runs a bit choppier than 1.10/1.11.

Will add my support to this. FPS has dropped for me as well with version 2.0. Not game breaking but I'm now only averaging bout 15 FPS, down from around 24 before. (According to Fraps). Does hit some low points of around 10 FPS at times. Even took out my 'extensive' Z folder :o and it made no difference.

Similar rig to what's listed above, except I have a GTX580.