why no tropical german cap

No tropical cap. Somehow I don't think the pixeltruppen would appreciate it when the lead is flying heavy. I also have it on good authority that if they were to start wearing them, we'd have to deal with Indiana Jones running around punching guys in the face and wrecking scenario balance.

Higher-rank officers will get their own soft cap as usual.

Huh? I have NO problem with the feathers if that was what they used in combat. I just find it hard to find actual combat pics of them. I also like the Tropical Hat. Once we get them, I hope the German mountain troops have caps as well. What's the issue?

Huh? I have NO problem with the feathers if that was what they used in combat. I just find it hard to find actual combat pics of them.

A couple of Italians here have said they wore them in combat. Isn't that good enough? Or are we going to have this discussion again as to what constitutes a combat photo and what doesn't?

I'd like to see German tropical forage caps too, actually I'd be glad to see also squad and platoon leaders. It's nice to see soldiers showing an assortment of camo, helmets, webbing, backpacks etc. but it's dull to see them all dressed as privates (with the exception of German armoured leaders and battalion commanders). It seems we'll have to wait till CMx2 3.0 though.

Speaking of bersaglieri wearing feathers in action:

Russian front, bersaglieri action starts at 00:17 and ends at 1:50

Iraq, 2004, most of the video of this firefight shows carabinieri in action, but there's a bersaglieri team launching a Milan ATGM against an enemy pillbox at 7:09

EDIT: Wait! I've seen an Italian platoon leader in a screenshot... there's still hope!

Thanks John for the pics.

No need for people to get so defensive. I was just asking as it's not uncommon in games and movies to see troops outfitted as if they were on a parade ground rather than actual combat troops. I love the feathers and the forage cap etc. So, yea...

BTW: I have not seen combat footage of SS troops (or Luftwaffe or Heer for that matter) with helmets that show the respective symbols/icons. What I have seen re combat photos are camo helmets that show no no symbols, but one recognizes the SS camo schemes.

I have a wonderful selection of helmet mods now in my modded game that have all those icons on them. But, am considering replacing em all with (appropriate) camo helmets with no icons. You guys have links to combat pics that show troops with helmets emblazoned with icons, so I can leave my game as is (I hope)?

You guys have links to combat pics that show troops with helmets emblazoned with icons, so I can leave my game as is (I hope)?

Not exactly, but I have seen photos of German POWs being processed in Normandy, and some of them clearly have the decals on their helmets. That surprised me, since I thought they'd gone out of circulation 2+ years earlier.

On the other hand, divisions like the 711th or the 716th had been - as far as I know - in France since 1940, with relatively little manpower churn. And it's not like a steel helmet is going to wear out all that quickly as a result of routine garrison use.

The issue is that it is easy to find combat pics that show NO (visible)decals on camo helmets or uniforms for that matter. So, unless proven otherwise, that is probably what most combat troops looked like. Not sure why I need to "try harder" to make your case for you.

And either way, I don't really care as I love the decals and feathers and whatnot. I am simply asking questions regarding what I actually see in my research, vs what some people keep saying is true. I am more puzzled about why this should irritate.

And I for one would like to see some pixeltroops, especially vehicle and gun crews, fighting in their field caps, or even bareheaded on occasion, instead of in their helmets. Regulations or not, some men definitely chose to fight helmetless, particularly in very hot weather and/or close terrain where the limited protective value of a steel pot against bullets was offset by the weight and heat. (I made the same choice in my dirtbike riding days in Southeast Asia, foolish though it now seems in hindsight)

Wow, that's amusing. 35 seperate major formations, an entire new national army, the ballistics of each individual bullet is tracked in realtime, yet the game is labelled 'dull' because its missing a soft cap and minor insignia.

We take it as a compliment. I mean wargamers will always find some reason to complain or request we change something. If we're down to helmet decals and not enough variability in headgear, well... either wargamers have lowered their standards (hah!) or we're doing a pretty good job.

Steve

LLF: You can get the helmetless bareheaded look (at least in CMBN) by (IIRC) using one of the paratroop mods when there are no paras. I got that effect by accident (not sure exactly how), but it was very interesting-looking. So, should be possible in CMFI.